Stepping it Up
Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-4515, bloomingdales.com) has stepped up its shoe department, doubling the size of the previous space. The 14,000-square-foot display area showcases footwear from a range of designers, such as Salvatore Ferragamo, Sam Edelman, and Tory Burch, along with a handful of brands not previously carried at the store, including Christian Dior, Giuseppe Zanotti, and Chloe. The shoe section is just the tip of the iceberg: Bloomingdale’s has renovations scheduled to run through fall, with planned updates and facelifts for all six of the store’s levels.
To give you an excuse to shop the new shoe selection, Bloomingdale’s has scheduled a boatload of trunk shows in March. During the Stuart Weitzman trunk show, which will run all day Saturday and Sunday, you’ll score a free gift with every purchase. On March 16 from 1 to 4 p.m., it’s a Tory Burch takeover: Shoppers can ham it up in a photo booth and take home a free customized Tory Burch frame (no purchase necessary). Additionally, the first three customers to spend $1,000 in Burch merch that day will receive a bag of “Tory’s Favorite Things.” On March 22, shop the Milly for Sperry Top-Sider trunk show and receive custom beading on any Sperry purchase.
Top Sales This Week
Tabletop shop Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave., 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) holds its annual warehouse sale this weekend, slashing prices by 40 to 70 percent and offering bargain hunters deep discounts on overstock, lightly scratched, and discontinued items. Find fine china, everyday tableware, tables, chairs, and home accessories from designers like Mud Australia, Vietri, and Juliska. The event runs Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Dose Market (dosemarket.com) returns to the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St., 312-321-1001, rivereastartcenter.com) this Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The tables we’ll be stopping by: Little Goat (littlegoatchicago.com), serving up Stumptown coffee, breads, and pastries; Tito’s Handmade Vodka (titosvodka.com) and Vintage Vine (vintagevinemix.com), pouring complimentary Bloody Marys; and ROSYLN (roslynboutique.com), previewing new spring styles. Tickets are $10 at the door or $8 in advance.
The Best of the Rest
- Ikea (ikea.com) is holding a day of deals Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at both its Schaumburg (1800 E. McConnor Pkwy., 847-969-9700) and Bolingbrook (750 E. Boughton Rd., 630-972-7900) locations. Shoppers who RSVP will be treated to gift card giveaways, gratis IKEA blue bags, free breakfast (served until 11 a.m.), and $5 off any $25 purchase in the Swedish Food Market.
- On Monday from 5 to 8 p.m., River North’s George the Salon (23 W. Hubbard St., 312-923-9444, georgethesalon.com) hosts its annual fundraiser benefiting On Your Feet Foundation (oyff.org). A $100 donation nabs you one cut or color service (not to mention wine and hors d’oeuvres). To RSVP, call Sue Wilson or Enid Callen at 847-433-7820.
- Through Friday, Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave., 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) is holding a Back to Basics sale. Score 20 percent off wearables like Lyssé shapewear leggings ($52), Michael Stars tees ($40), and NikiBiki camis ($12). Click here to peruse the full roster of sale items.
- Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave., 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) is holding an upholstery sale through April 1. Take 20 percent off all upholstered furniture, including the new spring collection.
- Columbia College holds a student runway competition called Launch 2013: Driving Fashion Forward from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Sunday at the Autohaus on Edens Mercedes-Benz dealership (1600 W. Frontage Rd., Northbrook, 847-272-7900). Eight budding designers will showcase one piece from their collection. A five-judge panel will name the overall victor and attendees will vote to select a people’s choice award-winner. Tickets ($75-$100) to the event can be purchased at dogoodersdodah.com.
Openings and Closings
Fashion Outlets of Chicago (5220 Fashion Outlets Way, Rosemont, fashionoutletsofchicago.com), an outlet mall opening near O’Hare this summer, announced part of its 150-store lineup this week. And it’s good—real good. Anchor stores include Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Off Fifth, Bloomingdale’s the Outlet Store, and Forever 21. The tenant list goes on and on: Barneys New York Outlet, Halston, Herve Leger, Tory Burch Outlet, and more. Located off I-294 at the intersections of I-190 and I-90, the mall is in prime location for O’Hare layovers. Bargain shoppers, mark your calendars for an August 1 opening.
Women’s boutique Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave., 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) is temporarily closed after an in-store flood devastated the River North shop last week. “Please know that Sarca will reopen for business, but this will take some time as the store will need to be rebuilt,” owner Alexis Cozzini states. Next door, children’s boutique Odile (710 N. Wabash Ave., 312-255-0800, shopodile.com)—owned by Cozzini’s sister, Camille—is also temporarily shuttered due to flood damage.
2 days ago
2 weeks ago