photograph: courtesy of independence
After she closed her flagship boutique in November, we feared that Chicago designer Michelle Tan’s retail presence might be history. Not even close: Tan is back with a new shop that she says is “more inviting,” has “better pricing,” and is “more focused.” Tan moved up the street from her previous Bucktown storefront and opened her new namesake boutique at 1920 North Damen Avenue (773-252-1888, michelletan.com) earlier this month.
Pop in the store to get a sense of Tan’s deconstructed aesthetic, which ranges from edgy, cropped jackets with spike details ($259) to chic, reversible bow ties for women ($20). If you’re not a fan of off-the-rack clothing, Tan can customize her pieces for a glove-like fit.
And since you love a sale, check this out: Through the end of April, everything in the store is 10 percent off, all jackets and Michelle Tan handbags are discounted 30 percent, and every purchase over $200 comes with a limited-edition Michelle Tan scarf.
Top Sales This Week
Cynthia Rowley (1653 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9209, cynthiarowley.com) begins a 25 percent off sale on select resort styles on Friday. Shop pleated skirts (originally $295, now $229), silk camisoles (originally $265, now $199), and a backless bonded dress (originally $410, now $309).
CB (662 N. Western Ave., Lake Forest, 847-283-8888, shopcityblue.com) is in the midst of a giant spring sale (in-store only). Through the end of April, the more you spend, the more you save: The tiered sale starts with $250 purchases (save $40) and tops out with $1,500 purchases (save $375).
The Best of the Rest
- Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd., 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) celebrates seven years in Logan Square with a storewide 20 percent off sale on Monday.
- The Gilt City Warehouse Sale (1747 W. Hubbard St., giltcity.com/chicago/chiwarehouse2013new)—an annual pop-up extravaganza packed with women and men’s designer apparel, shoes, accessories, and home goods—rolls into town on Saturday, April 13. The event is expected to sell out well before April 13, so secure your ticket to buy ($10–$15) beginning Monday at giltcity.com/chicago/chiwarehouse2013new.
- Now through Sunday, all dresses are 15 percent off at Presence (5216 N. Clark St., 773-989-4420, presencechicago.com).
- As part of its annual flower show (March 24 through April 7), Macy’s State Street (111 N. State St., 312-781-4884) transforms into a floral wonderland and hosts a series of free events. Take in a cooking demonstration with Stephanie Izard of Girl & the Goat on Thursday at noon (Lower Level), or check out the work of local jewelry designers and artists on display during the artist marketplace event, held at noon on both March 29 and April 5 (Level 9). For the full list of events, visit macys.com/flowershow.
- Independence (47 E. Oak St., 312-675-2105, independence-chicago.com) has slashed the price of men’s fall and winter apparel in half. Shop the sale in-store or online.
- Through Saturday, Randoons (962 ½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-784-1890, randoons.com) lets shoppers pick an Easter egg filled with discounts ranging from 5 to 20 percent off their entire purchase.
Vintage shop Caza (1459 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-227-7774, cazachicago.com) is closing its Wicker Park store and liquidating its stock with a 50 percent off sale. Bid your final farewell and score bargains on both new and old items: vintage furniture, one-of-a-kind home items, contemporary clothing, accessories, and more. Purchases under $300 are cash-only, and the sale ends Sunday.
2 days ago
5 days ago