Brooklyn Industries (1426 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-360-8182, brooklynindustries.com), recently opened its first store outside New York, offering T-shirts, totes, messenger bags, and other casual threads. The brand has a commitment to eco-friendly materials and limited edition, graphic print tees ($32) for men and women, made in runs of 200. Men’s selections include shorts and pants of the snug hipster variety, plaid short-sleeve shirts ($58), and comfy, everyday wear such as the long sleeve, V-neck hoodie ($42) made from eco-friendly fabrics. Women’s clothing is slightly dressier, including a beachy strapless orange dress ($82), cropped jackets ($88), and a sweater tank top ($62). Also find a cute selection of messenger bags ($40 to $84) and graphic print totes ($58), with more merchandise to come in the next few weeks.Top Sales This Week
The Do-Division Street Fest and Sidewalk Sale runs May 31st and June 1st from noon to 10 p.m. with music, treats, and discounts at the shops along Division Street from Ashland Avenue to Leavitt Street. Visit do-divisionstreetfest.com for more information.
Shop for all manner of T-shirts, jewelry, stationery, and the crafty wares of 30-some artists at the Indie Arts Market, which takes over Schubas Tavern (3159 N. Southport Ave.) on May 31st from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.The Best of the Rest
- Ladies everywhere will follow their estrogen to the Sex and the City movie this weekend. They can kick it off right with a party at Guise/Chic (2128 N. Halsted St.; 773-929-6130) on May 29th from 6 to 9 p.m. that will feature cosmos, styling tips, free blowouts and styling, and 20 percent off all purchases. (Guys, there’s scotch and styling tips for you, too.) RSVP to email@example.com.
- Extend the celebration with cosmos, cupcakes, and discounts with the Sex and the City shopping tour, including stops at the “sexiest” boutiques in Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Southport Avenue, West Loop, and the Gold Coast. Tours are $50 for 2 and a half hours and $80 for four hours; visit chicagoshopwalk.com to schedule.
- Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500) holds a Christian Dior trunk show with a preview of the fall 2008 collection on May 30th from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., with informal modeling from noon to 3 p.m.
- Take 20 percent off all merchandise (excluding jewelry and sunglasses) at His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway, 773-281-6111) through June 1st.
- Lissa on Maxwell (729 W. Maxwell St.; 312-563-9470) offers 10 percent off all merchandise, with 50 percent off selected items, through May 31st.
- Move over, Spanx. Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-4460) now carries Heather Thomson’s body shaper, Yummie Tummie. It looks like a tank top but keeps the midsection slim. Basic tanks are $62; strappy tanks are $72.
- Steve Mayer, designer of the Chicago-based necktie design group Bird Dog Bay, has created tabletops in honor of Father’s Day at Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash, 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840), using ties and home items. The tables are on display for the entire month of June.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St., 4th fl.; 312-781-3545) holds a trunk show with Watters and Watters bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses from May 30th through June 1st. Call the salon for an appointment.
1 week ago