Browse furniture, fabrics, rugs, lighting, and home accents, many that are usually available only to the trade, at the Treasure Hunt Luxury Sample Sale at the Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart plaza, 7th floor; 312-527-4141) on May 17th and 18th. The selection—including samples, one-of-a-kinds, and new merchandise—is up to 75 percent off at participating showrooms such as Betty M (which marked down a chair and ottoman from $7,295 to $3,500), Filsinger, and Oriental Carpet Gallery. You can also bring in floor plans or questions for free design consultations. The sale runs May 17th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and May 18th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Weekend admission is $10.
Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212) hosts its usual fabulous Vintage Couture & Accessories sale, spiced up this year with the addition of items from the estate of the New York real estate mogul Leona Helmsley. The sale includes her clothing and accessories, including a sampling from her vast collection of more than 200 pairs of Ferragamo shoes. (The sale also includes Hermes Kelly and Birkin bags, not from Helmsley’s estate.) The preview runs May 15th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., May 16th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and May 17th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The auction is May 18th at noon; preview the catalog and find bidding information at lesliehindman.com.
Moms-to-be and new mothers can stock up at the warehouse sale from Belly Dance Maternity and Belly Dance Baby (1647 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-1133), a hotly anticipated sale that is held once a year. The sale will be off-site, at 2054 North California Avenue, on May 17th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Everything is marked from $10 to $50, including maternity clothes from Liz Lange and Japanese Weekend, Skip Hop diaper bags, and baby clothes from Cadeau and Splendid Littles. Cash only; all sales final.
- SHE (1024 W. Armitage Ave., 773-880-8061; 483 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-926-0150) holds a trunk show with celebrity favorite designer Jill Stuart on May 15th from noon to 5 p.m. at the Lincoln Park location, and May 16th from noon to 5 p.m. at the Highland Park location. The show will feature spring and summer merchandise, with a sneak peek at fall pieces.
- Fashion Columbia, the fashion show for Columbia College Chicago (1000 S. Wabash Ave.; 312-344-6600), is a student-produced fashion show from the staging down to the music and models. This year’s show, on May 14th, explores the theme of the fashion and technology, with a signature hue of purple worked into the designs. Tickets range $35 to $60.
- The Oak Street store Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940) holds a ten-year anniversary party on May 15th from 7 to 9 p.m., with in-store discounts, an informal fashion show, and complimentary cocktails. Also take 10 percent off purchases through May 15th. RSVP at 312-943-0333 or email@example.com.
- Shop for fair trade on World Fair Trade Day in Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington St.) on May 14th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. More than 20 fair trade vendors will set up shop to speak about the positive effects of fair trade.
- Sadly, we have to report another store closure: Flirt (3449 N. Southport Ave.; 773-935-4789) is closing at the end of May. All merchandise and store fixtures are on sale.
- Check out “Project Lakeview,” a show featuring the designs of Lake View boutiques at Sura Thai Bistro (3124 N. Broadway Ave.) on May 14th at 7 p.m. The first 100 attendees receive a goody bag. Tickets are $15; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-348-8608 for reservations.
- Stellar26 (4164 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-388-2626) celebrates its one-year anniversary on May 17th and 18th with snacks and drinks. The store will donate 10 percent of sales to the Friends of the Chicago River.
- Shoe boutique Perchance (3512 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-1300) holds a Bridal Brunch on May 17th from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., bringing together local jewelry designer Susanne Siegel, bra fittings from Trousseau, and event planner Debi Lilly, who will give advice on wedding trends. Also receive 20 percent off purchases during the event. RSVP to email@example.com.
- His Stuff (5314 N. Clark St., 773-989-9111; 3162 N. Broadway Ave., 773-281-6111) holds a 7 Diamonds trunk show with more than 150 shirts and jeans available for special order, as well as 10 percent discounts on purchases. The show is at the Andersonville location on May 17th from noon to 5 p.m., and at the Lake View location on May 18th from noon to 5 p.m.
- Eco-friendly boutique Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Market, 312-243-4754), teams up with smart center Lincolnwood and the Chicago furniture design team Roscoe Jackson for an event on May 15th from 5 to 8 p.m. Roscoe Jackson debuts its line of recycled plastic outdoor furniture, and a smart car will be on hand. Receive 25 percent off store purchases with a smart car reservation or a Roscoe Jackson purchase.
- Get professional photos of that pooch. Photographer Rhonda Holcomb comes to the pet boutique Zulu (3919 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-281-2009) on May 17th from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost is $150 for a 30-minue shoot, which includes a CD of images and a 12-by-12-inch canvas print. Call to make an appointment.
1 week ago