Similar Style, Lower Prices
Marc Engel moved to Chicago in 1996 and within weeks of his arrival open Chasalla (106 E. Oak St.; 312-640-1940), a high-end designer boutique. Upon its opening, Engel still wanted to bring a second, trendy shop to a busier Chicago neighborhood. Staying true to his word, the German native opened CRAM Fashion (3331 N. Broadway St.; 773-477-1737) in Boystown earlier this month. While the boutique carries some of the same designer lines as Chasalla, CRAM’s clothing and accessories have much lower price points. “Everything is under $200,” Engel says. “I needed and wanted to have different name.” CRAM, or Marc spelled backwards, mostly consists of men’s fashions, such as Green Apple Tree graphic T-shirts ($69), but both genders can enjoy Pam Am Blue vinyl handbags ($79 and up) as well as Cruz Azul silver-plated jewelry ($69 and up).
Top Sales This Week
Guise Chic (2128 N. Halsted St.; 773-929-6130, guisechic.com) celebrates its one-year anniversary with complimentary salon services, drinks, appetizers, music, and an Earnest Sewn denim trunk show, May 21st from 6 to 8 p.m. Attendees receive 25 percent off apparel purchases. Cagney’s Chicago (2142 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-857-1111, cagneyschicago.com) hosts an after party from 8 to 10 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
Formally known as the Chicago Antique Market, the Randolph Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, chicagoantiquemarket.com) features 200 antique dealers in furniture, jewelry, art, home furnishings, and more starting May 23rd and 24th. Located at the 1350 block of West Randolph Street, between Ada Street and Ogden Avenue, the event happens one weekend every month through September and also includes the popular Indie Designer Market. Tickets, $10 at the gate or $8 online at chicagoantiquemarket.com, last both days. Admission is waived during the final two hours of each day.
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) celebrates seven years with 20 percent off all purchases through May 22nd. For online shoppers, enter code “7YEARS” at checkout to receive discount.
- Fashion Focus Chicago kicks off its Fashion Café Series, the city’s first-ever fashion series, May 21st from 5 to 8 p.m., at the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.; 312-346-3278). Held once a month through December, the events, are designed to feature local designers and retailers, including Beta Boutique, Christopher Augmon, and more. The City of Chicago’s Director of Fashion Arts and Events, Melissa Gamble, hosts the first event.
- Orlando Espinoza (orlandoespinoza.com), Vika (eclectica.com), Kathryn Kerrigan (kathrynkerrigan.com), and African Sanctuary partake in a designer showroom spring event at the Fountainhead Building (1932 S. Halsted St., Suite 200; 312-829-4009) on May 21st from 4 to 9 p.m. To RSVP, call 312-829-4009 or e-mail RSVP@orlandoespinoza.com.
- To raise money and awareness for Talk About Curing Autism Now, Helping Hands Forever (helpinghandsforever.com) hosts a Night of Luxury at Salvage One (1840 W. Hubbard St.; 312-733-0098, salvageone.com) May 21st from 7 to 10 p.m. The event includes food, an open bar, a silent auction, and music. Tickets are $65 in advance at helpinghandsforever.com, or $75 at the door. Guests who purchase tickets online have may enter to win dinner for two at Trump Tower’s signature restaurant, Sixteen. Attendees are also invited to an after party at NV Penthouse Lounge (116 W. Hubbard St.; 312-329-9960) with drink specials throughout the night.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St., 312-212-8860, florodora.com) concludes its spring trunk show series with cocktail dresses from AUDEY (audey.com) on May 22nd and shoes from Kathryn Kerrigan (kathrynkerrigan.com) on May 29th. Both shows take place from 12 noon to 6 p.m. and include complimentary wine.
- Baby boutique Beautiful Beginnings (1840 N. Clybourn Ave.; 312-944-1212, shopbeautifulbeginnings.com) donates 10 percent of proceeds from all sales on May 21st to Operation Smile, a global children’s medical charity.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) holds its Memorial Day sale with up to 50 percent off select items May 21st through 25th. Shoppers who purchase any dress receive a free pair of sunglasses.
- The International Academy of Design & Technology hosts its 30th annual student fashion show, featuring more than 100 original designs, May 21st at 8 p.m., at the Great Hall in Union Station (210 S. Canal St.). For tickets ($40) visit iadtchicago.bkstr.com, call 312-980-9295, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Arboretum of South Barrington (100 W. Higgins Rd., South Barrington; 847-426-6200, shopthearboretumsb.com) holds a Memorial weekend block party with sidewalk and tent sales, entertainment, and food May 23rd and 24th.
- White Chicago (222 W Huron St.; 312- 397-1571, whitechicago.com) launched whitexchange.com, an online boutique for brides, bridesmaids, and moms, May 12th.
- Bedside Manor Ltd. (2056 N. Halsted St.; 773-404-2020) holds its annual May sale with 20 to 25 percent off all sheets, shams, coverlets, duvets, and down throughout the month.
- Cabinet specialists Wood-Mode Fine Custom Cabinetry (www.wood-modechicago.com) holds its summer savings events in selection kitchen and bath showrooms through July 31st. For locations, visit wood-mode.com or call 312-644-4466.
- Chic Gems (312-602-2561, chicgemsetc.com) recently launched its newest jewelry line, “Design Your Own Chic Gems,” allowing online shoppers to create their own necklaces, bracelets, and earrings from home. Use code “designer” at checkout to receive 25 percent off your first custom order through June 1st.
- Four Seasons Hotel Chicago (120 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-280-8800, fourseasons.com) holds its “La-Tea-Spa” promotion Mondays through Thursdays until September 7th. Buy any 50-minute or longer spa treatment and afternoon tea, and receive half off a second same-day spa treatment and tea purchase.Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago) holds its annual Memorial Day weekend sale with additional savings at nearly 30 of its 120 designer discount stores May 22nd through May 25th. For a full list of store sales, click on the “sales and events” tab at premiumoutlets.com/chicago.
2 days ago
2 weeks ago