When Tracey Glibowski was laid off for the second time in three years, she didn’t sit around and sulk. Instead, the former advertising executive decided to fulfill a lifelong dream and open a women’s boutique on the Northside. Named after a healing flower that is believed to invoke confidence in women, Cerato (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) carries affordable clothing and accessories—all less than $350. “The boutique is about celebrating the local talent and giving even more exposure to the neighborhood,” says Glibowski, who selected the shop’s 16 featured designers, most of whom are based in Chicago. (Non-local lines include Latico handbags, Juxtapose Jewelry, Jenny Han clothing, Guido & Mary denim, and Ali Ro dresses.) Standout pieces include the one shoulder black dress with flower accent ($305) and a beige strapless dress with flower accent ($305) from Anna Fong (anna-fong.com); a high-waisted multi-colored iKat print wrap skirt ($105) and a white jersey tank top with ruffles ($60) from Kristin Hassan (kristinhassan.com); and a white wrap jacket ($215) from Kate Boggiano (kateboggiano.com). Cerato holds its grand opening celebration on Wednesday, June 9th.
Top Sales This Week
The 7th annual Randolph Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, chicagoantiquemarket.com) kicks off its 2010 season on Saturday, May 29th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, May 30th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Located on the 1350 block of West Randolph Street, between Ada Street and Ogden Avenue, the event includes home décor, fashion, antiques, and jewelry from more than 200 vendors as well as free on-site appraisals. Tickets—$12 at the gate or $9 online at chicagoantiquemarket.com—are good for both days. The Randolph Street Market Festival happens one weekend every month through September.
Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/Chicago) holds its annual Memorial Day weekend sale with additional savings throughout the mall, Friday, May 28th through Monday, May 31st. For a list of participating stores and their discounts, visit premiumoutlets.com.
The Best of the Rest
- The celebrity stylist and Redken expert Rodney Cutler debuts the Modern Classics collection at The Salon at ULTA (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) on Thursday, May 27th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Attendees receive a hair consultation from Cutler as well as a Modern Classics haircut or hair color.
- The Arboretum of South Barrington (100 W. Higgins Rd., South Barrington; 847-426-6200, shopthearboretumsb.com) holds its Memorial weekend block party on Saturday, May 29th. The event features performances from the band 10,000 Maniacs and the musician Michael McDermott as well as shopping, food, and more.
- To benefit The V Foundation (www.jimmyv.org), Chic Gems Couture (312-602-2561, chicgemscouture.com) hosts an online trunk show through Monday, May 31st. Enter code ‘RENEE’ at checkout to receive 10 percent off your purchase. In addition, 20 percent of each purchase will go to the V Foundation.
- Kathryn Kerrigan (741 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville; 847-557-5067, kathrynkerrigan.com) opens its first boutique in Chicago at 2031 North Damen Avenue this month.
- Save 20 percent on any one item, excluding custom orders, invitations, and stationery, at Event Studio (2027 W. Division St.; 773-227-1122, eventstudiochicago.com) through Monday, May 31st.
- Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com) holds a Clé de Peau “Key to Absolute Beauty” event on Thursday, May 27th. Guests who purchase at least $100 of Clé de Peau receive a free full-service facial.
- Take 10 to 25 percent off all linens at Bedside Manor Ltd. (for locations, shopbedside.com) through Monday, May 31st.
- Mali Jewelry (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) takes 30 percent off all online purchases through Monday, May 31st. Enter promo code “30” at checkout to receive discount.
- The jewelry designer Carolyn Tyler (carolyntyler.com) makes a personal appearance at Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-799-5359, saksfifthavenue.com) on Wednesday, May 26th and Thursday, May 27th.
Closings and Relocations
Revival (773-489-9422, rerevival.com), a vintage and antique home furnishings shop, recently moved from 1401 West Irving Park Road in Lake View to 2016 West Armitage Avenue in Bucktown.
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
2 weeks ago