Online to On the Block
Bucking the trend of brick-and-mortar businesses going online-only, Dress Up Boutique (1937 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-7780, dressup-boutique.com) is an online women’s clothing and accessories shop that recently opened a retail space in Bucktown. The co-owner and Chicago native Justina Saltanaviciute launched the website-based boutique with her sister, Indre, in 2008. “While we didn’t have an actual location, I still wanted to be out there,” Saltanaviciute says. “I wanted to make brand-name and quality goods available to girls on a budget.” Staying true to that philosophy, the majority of Dress Up’s inventory, which includes big names like Free People, is less than $100. (Leather and outerwear are more expensive.) Best sellers include Siwy denim shorts in many styles (from $120); and tops, bottoms, and dresses from the Los Angeles-based brand Paul + KC (from $42). While Dress Up maintains its online presence, the retail space carries jewelry exclusives, such as bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings from AppleJuice ($10 to $34) and Opera ($12 to $42.50). To mark the grand opening, the store is offering 15 percent off everything through Saturday, May 15th.
Top Sales This Week
The Merchandise Mart Design Center (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 800-677-6278, merchandisemartdesigncenter.com) holds a sample sale with up to 75 percent off luxury home furniture, art, fabrics, lighting, accessories, and more on Friday, May 14th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday, May 15th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Frock Shop (2361 S. State St., 5th floor; 877-376-2571, frockshopchicago.com) holds its first Frock Around the Clock sale with up to 75 percent off new, sample, and gently used bridal and evening gowns, and prom dresses on Saturday, May 15th at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Discounts decrease throughout the morning, and a $99 dress rack is featured until 11 a.m. Guests also enjoy complimentary refreshments, a raffle, and fitting consultations. RSVP at email@example.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Annie O (324 N. Leavitt St., Suite 200; 312-421-8676, annieo.net) holds its spring sample sale with at least 20 percent off wholesale prices as well as a less-than-$10 section on Thursday, May 13th from 12 to 8 p.m. Cash only.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago holds its Fashion 2010 runway sale on Friday, May 14th from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., at the school’s Sage Studios for Fashion Design (36 S. Wabash Ave., 7th floor; 312-629-6710).
- His Stuff (hisstuffchicago.com) holds its semi-annual spring trunk event, featuring 15 percent off more than 150 styles of shirts and a special collection of denim, all by 7 Diamonds denim. The event happens at the store’s Andersonville location (5314 N. Clark St.; 773-989-9111) on Saturday, May 15th from 12 to 6 p.m., and at its Lake View location (3162 N. Broadway St.; 773-281-6111) on Sunday, May 16th from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Find prints from Dennis O’Malley, Jane Shaffer jewelry, and ceramics from Kristi Sloniger for sale at the Water Works Visitor Information Center inside the Historic Water Tower & Pumping Station (163 E. Pearson St.; 312-244-2246, explorechicago.org) on Friday, May 14th and Saturday, May 15th from 10 am. to 6 p.m.
- Take $10 off any $50 Grow Restore Nurture (GRN) purchase at Exhale Spa (for locations, exhalespa.com) through Monday, May 31st.
- Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221, revisionchicago.com) holds its next open-door weekend sale with new spring merchandise May 14th and 15th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Dinner and a Movie at Navy Pier package from the Affinia Chicago (166 E. Superior St.; 312-787-6000, affinia.com) includes two vouchers for a show at the IMAX Theatre, a $50 gift certificate to Harry Caray’s Tavern, 20 percent off merchandise at Harry Caray’s, and an overnight stay for $169. To book, call 866-233-4642 or visit affinia.com; mention code “Pier.” The package is available through Friday, May 28th.
- Chalk Boutique (2611 Prairie Ave., Evanston; 847-424-0011, chalkofevanston.com) holds a trunk show on Thursday, May 13th from 6 to 9 p.m. The event features a personal appearance from the designer Meredith German of Meredith Wendell, the debut of Current/Elliott + Marni denim, and A.L.C.’s Fall 2010 collection.
- Save 30 percent on all online purchases from Mali Jewelry (204 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-263-0326, malijewelry.com) through Monday, May 31st. Enter “30” at checkout to receive discount.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its modern and contemporary art, and American and European art auctions on Sunday, May 16th at 12 p.m. Previews will be held Wednesday, May 12th through Saturday, May 15th.
5 days ago
3 weeks ago