A Touch of Whimsy
“Happywear for women and men” is the motto of the new Lake View boutique P + L (2956 N. Clark St.; 773-248-3758), and true to its slogan the shop stocks graphic-print tees, chunky jewelry, and outerwear that blends style with a sense of humor. Husband-and-wife owners Leena and Paul Chicmmongkoltip scoured her native Bangkok for innovative designers, hard to find elsewhere in the U.S. Kitschy “feel me” tanks ($26) hand-stitched with fuzzy animals such as a rabbit with an eye patch from Zavonna, graphic tees from Cisse, and a skirt with a delicate flower cut-out along the hem ($75) from Keven are all unique Thai finds. Those who have shopped in San Francisco may recognize Cop-Copine, a Paris-based line well-loved on the West Coast, such as the gorgeous white turtleneck with lace embellishment ($158). Menswear veers graphic, such as printed tees from Brownsound ($28) and MomiMomi ($46) and a messenger bag ($50) from Goorin Bros. Among our favorites are the scarves and hats from Goorin Bros., including a hat printed with an antler horn ($18). Gifts are coming soon from the Thai line Propaganda, which has a tongue-in-cheek, art school aesthetic. Most jewelry is handpicked in Bangkok (a turquoise bracelet is $20), although local artist Tinka, who makes jewelry created from antique chandeliers, has a trunk show at the shop on Dec. 1st from 5 to 9 p.m. Email email@example.com to attend.
Top Sales This Week
Shop the Do-Division Holiday Walk on Dec. 1st from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The street fest runs along Division Street from Ashland Avenue to Leavitt Street. Local boutiques are offering discounts of 25 to 50 percent off, tapering off hourly throughout the event, which also includes carols, mini productions of the holiday classics Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story, and It’s a Wonderful Life, free cocoa and spiked cider, and photos with Santa Claus.
Take the guesswork out of the significant other’s holiday shopping at the wish list party at Erin Gallagher Jewelry (1017 W. Lake St.; 312-492-7548) on Nov. 29th from 6 to 9 p.m. Browse the studio to choose pieces (including custom made items), then enter them into a holiday wish list; the boutique will send it via email or phone to anyone who needs more than a subtle hint. All guests will be entered in a raffle for a $500 shopping spree; a portion of the evening’s sales go to charity.
The Best of the Rest
- Thirty local designers—including Bourdage Pearls, bocUe bags, and Sue Rosengard jewelry—set up shop at the Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.) during Glitter: A Holiday Shopping Event, on Nov. 27th from noon to 6 p.m.
- Pivot Boutique (1101 West Fulton Mkt.; 312-243-4754) hosts a “green” holiday event on Nov. 27th from 6 to 9 p.m. offering stations with tips for an environmentally friendly holiday season with desserts, drinks, and discounts of 15 percent off. Or stop by on Dec. 1st for a trunk show of Chicago-based Noon Solar, a company that makes high-end satchels and handbags that can capture the sun’s rays to power cell phones and iPods.
- Bid on celebrity gowns, designer clothing, shoes, home goods, and jewelry at the massive auction 7th on Sale, featuring items from designers such as Alice + Olivia, Badgley Mischka, Chloé, Kate Spade, Stella McCartney, and YSL. Auction runs at 7thonsale.ebay.com through Dec. 6th.
- The 28 Shop at Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 800-329-8667) hosts Love, Luxe, Life on Nov. 28th from 5 to 8 p.m., a preview of luxury designer collections in jewelry, watches, and fragrances with music, appetizers, and complimentary gift wrapping and discounts on select items. RSVP by Nov. 27th.
- SeeMore Shopping throws a holiday shopping event, Jingle.Mingle.Shop, featuring a bazaar of local designers and boutiques offering designer clothing, jewelry, handbags, accessories, and gourmet foods on Nov. 29th from 5 to 10 p.m. at Café Brauer (2021 N. Stockton Dr.). Admission is free. The first 250 shoppers to RSVP at jinglemingleshop.com receive a holiday gift bag.
- Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247) holds a trunk show featuring bocUe handbags, scarves from Elyse C. Bec, Joann Lysiak jewelry, and The Post Family shirts and notecards on Nov. 29th from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The Junior League of Chicago hosts a shopping event at Crate and Barrel (850 W. North Ave.; 312-573-9800) on Nov. 29th from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., unveiling the league’s cookbook, Peeling the Wild Onion. Tickets are $50 at the door and include the cookbook, wine, appetizers, and a $10 Crate and Barrel gift card.
- The Merry Merchants of Montrose host a holiday shopping event from Nov. 30th through Dec. 2nd, including Zola Jones (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-275-1845), Lillstreet Art Center (4401 N. Ravenswood Ave.; 773-907-0841); and Zozo for Kids (1920 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-506-6120).
- As part of the same weekend, Architectural Artifacts (4325 N. Ravenswood Ave., 773-348-0622) holds a holiday show on Dec. 2nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a juried show of artists and artisans in jewelry, ceramics, textile, and paper goods, and a silent auction. The store continues its holiday sale through Dec. 23rd with items discounted 50 percent off in its massive space.
- The 13th annual Holiday on Halsted includes entertainment, prizes, and entertainment for kids. Stop by headquarters for complimentary refreshments and a passport to be stamped at participating retailers which can later be entered into a raffle. The event runs Dec. 1st and 2nd from noon to 5 p.m. For more information, visit northalsted.com or call the office at (773) 883-0500.
- Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180) offers a new Winter Urban Garden container program (similar to the spring service) to design their containers or yours with evergreens, branches, and berries. The store also offers Christmas tree delivery within city limits.
- It’s time again for the Vintage Couture and Accessories auction at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (122 N. Aberdeen St.; 312-280-1212). Preview the goods Nov. 29th through Dec. 1st; the auction starts at noon on Dec. 2nd.
- Bethany United Church of Christ (4250 N Paulina St.) hosts a Fair Trade Holiday Bazaar on Dec. 7th and 8th and from Dec. 14th through 16th. It will feature coffee, chocolate, home décor, and gifts in conjunction with Ten Thousand Villages. The bazaar is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 6 to 8 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 3 p.m.
- Shop with French flair at the Holiday Bazaar at Lycée Français de Chicago (613 W. Bittersweet Pl.; 773-665-0066) on Dec. 1st from noon to 6 p.m. and Dec. 2nd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Cornelia Arts Building (1800 W. Cornelia St.) holds its annual holiday open house on Nov. 30th from 6 to 9 p.m. and on Dec 1st and 2nd from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with open artists’ studios and juried artwork for sale.
- Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) has launched an e-commerce site at reddoghouse.com. First time online shoppers receive a 15 percent discount (enter FIRST15 at checkout) and the 1,000th person to register, order, or join the mailing list wins a $500 gift certificate.
- ShopWalk offers a Holiday Tour starting Nov. 27th, a guided tour of Chicago boutiques with highlights of fashionable gifts, as well as cocoa, Champagne, and discounts. Register for upcoming tours at chicagoshopwalk.com.
- The Native Arts Holiday Bazaar at the Mitchell Museum of the American Indian (3001 Central St., Evanston; 847-475-1030) runs Dec. 1st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Dec. 2nd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., featuring Native American artisans and traders selling pottery, silver and turquoise jewelry, beadwork, and paintings. The suggested donation is $5 for entry.
2 weeks ago