The Chicago native Jill Sevelow loves finding great deals on clothing and accessories. “I’ve always been a bargain hunter,” she says. “I love the thrill of the hunt. I’ve never paid full-price for anything in my life.” So the former department store buyer opened Encore Wear (1229 W. Dundee Rd., Buffalo Grove; 847-797-0300) to help other women save money. Primarily featuring sample sale finds as well as recent designer overstock clothing and accessories from Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, the shop sells most items for about half off the original price. “I leave the old tags on so people can see what they’re saving,” Sevelow says. Recent additions include a bright blue silk Burberry cocktail dress (originally $895, now $248), an Allison + Olivia ivory silk top (originally $376, now $78), Tory Burch brown crocodile flat boots with gold trim (originally $495, now $368), and Christopher Blue jeans (originally $175, now $80). “I look at it and think, ‘What would I pay for it,’” Sevelow says about the markdowns. “I just want a fair price.” On the other side of the store, Encore Wear resells gently used designer goods, such as black knee-high Coach boots ($88). (Bring in items that you no longer wear, and you may make some extra cash.) And while Encore Wear already sells items for less, the shop holds sales every few weeks. Through Christmas, take an additional 30 percent off the store’s entire selection of Coach purses.
Top Sales This Week
Along Southport Avenue from Belmont Avenue to Irving Park Road, Southport “Lights Up the Night” features holiday decorations, drinks, snacks, and music on Thursday, November 19th from 5 to 9 p.m. The event includes in-store events and discounts, such as 10 percent off all purchases at Trousseau (3543 N. Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727).
The Modern Vintage Holiday Market (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) returns with furniture, art, clothing, accessories, and more, on Saturday, November 21st from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, November 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Beaux Arts Plumbers Hall (1340 W. Washington St.). The event features free gift wrapping and parking. Admission is $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com or $10 at the door.
Enjoy wine, appetizers, and creations from more than 90 indie merchants at Andersonville Galleria (5247 N. Clark St.; 773-878-8570, andersonvillegalleria.com) on Friday, November 20th.
The Best of the Rest
- Mulberry & Me (2019 W. Division St.; 773-952-7551) holds its “Lots of Ice & Everything Nice” party, featuring Marcia Moran jewelry, drinks, and 20 percent off all merchandise, on Tuesday, November 17th from 6 to 9 p.m. Call 773-952-7551 to RSVP.
- The Junior League of Chicago (312-664-4462 x101, jlchicago.org) holds its 38th annual Gazebo Holiday Market, Friday, November 20th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday, November 21st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Sidney R. Yates Gallery in the Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.). The event, $10, includes jewelry, toys, household items, and clothing from more than 30 vendors. A preview party on Thursday, November 19th from 6 to 10 p.m. features cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, music, and raffle prizes. Tickets to the preview are $50 in advance at jlchicago.org or $75 at the door and includes entry to the market on Friday and Saturday.
- Aniko Salon & Spa (1109 S. Wabash Ave.; 312-431-1573, anikosalonspa.com) holds its Martini and Manicure Monday Night Out on November 23rd. The event, which can accommodate up to 30 guests, includes manicures, cocktails, desserts, raffle prizes, gift bags, and exclusive discounts on Chic Gems jewelry (chicgemsetc.com). Tickets, $40, are available on a first come, first serve basis; call 312-431-1573 to RSVP.
- Enjoy 25 percent off everything at Mount Sinai Resale Shop (814 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 773-935-1434) during its 30th anniversary sale, Tuesday, November 17th through Tuesday, November 24th.
- Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500, saksfifthave.com) holds three Dior makeup application classes on Thursday, November 19th. Sessions are held from 12 to 2 p.m., 3 to 5 p.m., and 6 to 8 p.m. Each session is limited to 30 guests; RSVP at raymiproductions.com.
- Take up to 40 percent off selected garments at le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) through Monday, November 30th.
- United Feather & Down (414 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines; 847-296-6500 x239, ufandd.com) celebrates the expansion of its factory outlet store by taking an additional 15 percent off all purchases from Thursday, November 19th through Saturday, November 21st.
- Save on selected kitchen and bathroom cabinetry at Wood-Mode Fine Custom Cabinetry (for showroom locations, visit wood-mode.com) during its fall saving event through Friday, November 20th.
- The Chicago Toy & Game Fair (847-677-8277, chitag.com) returns to Navy Pier (600 E. Grand Ave.) on Saturday, November 21st and Sunday, November 22nd. Adults $10; children $5.
- The Apparel Industry Board (350 N. Orleans St., Ste. 690; 312-836-1041, aibi.com) in collaboration with Little Black Pearl (1060 E. 47th St.; 773-285-1633, blackpearl.org) holds a little black dress event on Thursday, November 19th from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Museum of Contemporary Art (220 E. Chicago Ave.). Chicago designers donated the featured garments, which will be sold to guests through an auction. Tickets are $175; call 312-836-1041.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (112 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-629-6880, saic.edu) hosts its 21st annual holiday art sale, Friday, November 20th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, November 21st, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Browse hundreds of creations from local crafters at the D.I.Y. Trunk Show (diytrunkshow.com) on Saturday, November 21st from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Pulaski Park Auditorium (1419 W. Blackhawk St.).
- Simone’s (1060 Gage St., Winnetka; 847-446-9966, simonesboutique.com) holds an Asha by ADM jewelry trunk show, Friday, November 20th and Saturday, November 21st from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The line’s designer, Ashley Dodgen-McCormick, will be there.
- The Palmer House Hilton (17 E. Monroe St., Ste. 9150) hosts a NOI Firenze leather outerwear show, and Trade Gold and Sada Gold jewelry trunk shows, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, November 18th through Sunday, November 22nd.
- Enjoy cookies, cider, tea, popcorn, music, and more at Chalet (3132 Lake St., Wilmette; 847-256-0561, chaletnursery.com) Saturday, November 21st from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sunday, November 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Anjénu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com) holds its annual holiday party with a free wine tasting and 20 percent off holiday items, Friday, November 20th from 6 to 9 p.m. Spend more than $35 to receive a gift.
5 days ago