After 14 years of running the Only She boutique (onlyshe.com), owner Terri Vizzone decided to “shake things up.” She had enjoyed selling clothing and accessories to women but wanted to expand. “We wanted it to be not just fashion but art of all kinds,” Vizzone says. “We started searching out who is doing interesting things other than clothing.” Vizzone has been pondering the idea for five years, so moved quickly once she found a new space, closing Only She in July. Two months later, she launched Urban Style Emporium (200 E. Delaware Pl.; 312-335-1353, urbanstyleemporium.com). Located underground across the street from Café Med, the shop features the same lines of clothing and accessories sold at Only She—such as Marie Saint Pierre dresses in black and teal ($500) and Ivan Grundahl fitted jackets in various earth tones ($500 to $600)—in addition to paintings, ceramics, soaps, and teas from designers, many of whom are from Chicago. “Sometimes you don’t realize how many cool things people are doing here,” says Vizzone. A few of the currently featured Chicago-based works include mixed media on canvas from Deborah White ($500 to $4,000), fused silk and wool scarves and shawls by Gina Pannorfi ($150 to $400), and ceramics from Jean Patton of Glass Frog Studio ($100 to $500). Still slightly under construction, the boutique plans to add a wet bar with full kitchen in the next few weeks.
Top Sales This Week
The 16th annual SOFA (800-563-7632, sofaexpo.com) exhibition—SOFA stands for Sculpture Objects & Functional Art—features 68 international galleries and dealers Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 8th at Navy Pier (600 E. Grand Ave.). Tickets, available online or at the door, are $15 or $25 for a three-day pass.
Jayson Home & Garden (1740 W. Webster Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) holds its second-ever warehouse sale Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 8th. Save 50 to 90 percent on designer and vintage furniture, accessories, lighting, garden pots, and more. Free local delivery with any purchase.
À Pied (2037 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2210, apiedshoeboutique.com) extends a special offer to Sales Check readers between Tuesday, November 3rd and Monday, November 9th: Buy one pair of shoes or boots at full price, and get 25 percent off a second pair. Shoppers must mention “Sales Check” to receive discount.
Wine & Design features fashion and discounts from You Just Shop (youjustshop.com), Crescendo Apparel (crescendoapparel.com), and Kate Boggiano (kateboggiano.com) as well as treats from Katherine Anne Confections (katherine-anne.com) on Wednesday, November 4th from 6 to 9 p.m. at Sutton Place Hotel (21 E. Bellevue Pl.; 312-266-2100, chicagosuttonplace.com). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Taking over the former Ciao Bella space at 3829 North Southport Avenue, Beta Boutique (773-351-1876, betaboutique.com) holds a two-day sample sale with 40 to 90 percent off sweaters, jackets, and more on Saturday, November 7th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, November 8th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- The Winnetka Community House (620 Lincoln Ave., Winnetka; 847-446-0537, winnetkamodernism.com) features 20th Century furniture, paintings, jewelry, and pottery from more than 30 dealers at its annual Modernism Show on Saturday, November 7th and Sunday, November 8th. General admission is $15. A preview party, $125 per ticket, is on Friday, November 6th.
- Save 20 percent on all ornaments at Pasquesi Home and Gardens (975 N. Shore Dr., Lake Bluff, 847-615-2700; 990 W. Northwest Hwy., Barrington, 847-381-5511; pasquesi.com) Thursday, November 5th through Sunday, November 8th.
- Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790, virtuchicago.com) features Snow & Graham’s holiday collection of cards, gift wrap, candles, and more on Saturday, November 7th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Ten percent of sales from the event go toward the Greater Chicago Food Depository. View the Snow & Graham collection online at virtuchicago.com. RSVP to email@example.com.
- This week, Little Green Baby (4654 N. Rockwell St.; 773-505-2066, littlegreenbabychicago.com) takes 20 percent off BOB Strollers and Plan Toys, 25 percent off Daily Tea and Indigenous Clothing lines, and 30 percent off jewelry.
- Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) holds an African Sanctuary trunk show Wednesday, November 4th from 5 to 8 p.m. Guests who mention “Sales Check” receive 15 percent off the boutique’s fall collection. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take 15 to 70 percent off jewelry, veils, shoes, and more at The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 8th.
- Bernardaud (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-751-1700, bernardaud.fr) holds the opening reception for its “Art Meets Matter” exhibition on Friday, November 6th from 5 to 8 p.m. The collection of 50 limited-edition design pieces made from enamel and porcelain will be on display through Friday, November 13th.
- Enjoy hot chocolate, snacks, and 20 percent off full-priced items at Elevenzees (1901 W. Division St.; 773-772-1150, elevenzees.com) Saturday, November 7th and Sunday, November 8th.
- Chicago Botanic Garden (1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe; 847-835-5440, chicagobotanic.org) hosts its 13th annual Fine Art of Fiber show and sale, featuring quilts, wearable art, woven textiles and more, Thursday, November 5th through Sunday, November 8th.
- Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 15th, Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) host a multi-designer sweater trunk show, including designs from Brochu Walker, Joie, and more. Purchase two or more sweaters and receive 20 percent off all sweaters during the event.
- Anjénu (1747 W. Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com) holds its Winter Warmer Sale with hot cocoa, donuts, and 25 percent off Paddywax candles from Thursday, November 5th through Saturday, November 7th.
- Celebrate 15 years with Tabula Tua (1015 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) Saturday, November 7th and Sunday, November 8th. The shop hosts a Champagne brunch on Saturday starting at 10 a.m. Guests receive 15 percent off their purchases and the chance to win a $1,500 gift certificate all weekend.
- Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) showcases jewelry and accessories from World Finds at its next artisan-feature evening on Wednesday, November 4th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The event also includes fair trade tea, wine, and snacks.
- From Tuesday, November 3rd through Saturday, November 7th, shoppers who buy two printed oilcloth wine bags ($5 each) from Zola Jones Designs (1944 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-275-1845, zolajonesdesigns.com) receive a third for free.
- The Norwood Park Historical Society (5624 N. Newark Ave.; 773-631-4633, norwoodparkhistoricalsociety.org) displays unique antiques and collectibles from Calico Cat Ltd., on Sunday, November 8th from 2 to 4 p.m. Guests may have up to two items, excluding oil paintings and fine jewelry, professionally appraised for $5 each. Proceeds go to the Norwood Park Historical Society.
- Save on vintage merchandise, imported scarves, and Day of the Dead T-shirts this week at Bella Chica (1253 W. 18th St.; 312-927-3535).
- The MCA Store (220 E. Chicago Ave.; 312-397-4000, mcachicagostore.org) holds a jewelry trunk show with designs from Annemieke Broenik and Kate Cusack on Saturday, November 7th at noon.
- Take at least 10 percent off select artwork at Kasia Kay Art Projects Gallery (215 N. Aberdeen St.; 312-944-0408, kasiakaygallery.com) Tuesday, November 3rd through Monday, November 9th. Call to schedule an appointment.
- Celebrate the opening of the new Michael Kors flagship shop (900 N. Michigan Ave.; michaelkors.com) with a party, runway show, and Kors himself on Wednesday, November 4th.
- Spex (2316 N. Clark St.; 773-404-0777, spexchicago.com) holds a Lafont Trunk show on Saturday, November 7th from 12 to 5 p.m.
- Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755, gammaplayer.com) takes 30 percent off all fall 2009 collections Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 8th. Merchandise tags are not marked; shoppers must mention sale at the register.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago