Vividbraille (2064 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-8536, vividbraille.com), a locally produced line of men’s and women’s apparel, accessories, and art, recently launched its first boutique in Bucktown. Brock Willsey, a Michigan native and self-taught designer, founded Vividbraille in 2003. The new shop—also named Vividbraille—doubles as Willsey’s studio, with a screen-printing station on the showroom floor. “When you walk into our space, it exudes the creative process,” he says. The store’s “private label” features screen-printed T-shirts (from $39) and a collection of scarves, shirts, and jackets for men and women—including unisex pieces such as a hooded, cowl-neck jacket ($249). “In Chicago, the private label can only be found at our boutique,” says Willsey. “What’s in our store is special to our store.” Vividbraille also carries reworked vintage jewelry pieces ($30 and up) and an assortment of classic American footwear, including Yuketan hunting boots ($480) and Seavees trail boots ($185). The shop holds its grand opening party—with drinks, appetizers, music, and screen-printing demos—on Thursday, November 17 from 6 to 9 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
Annie O (324 N. Leavitt St., Suite 200; 312-421-8676, annieo.net), a Chicago-based apparel and accessories wholesaler, holds its fall sample sale Thursday, November 17 from 12 to 7 p.m. Find 20 percent off wholesale prices on merchandise from Tulle (tulle4us.com), Kensie (kensie.com), and Skunkfunk (skunkfunk.com), as well as a selection of items for $10 or less. Cash only.
Apartment Number 9 (1804 N. Damen Ave.; 773-395-2999, apartmentnumber9.com) celebrates its tenth anniversary by playing host to a Rag & Bone (rag-bone.com) pop-up shop. Running Friday, November 18 through Saturday, December 24, the boutique features men's and women's clothing, shoes, and accessories by the New York-based line. A launch party this Friday, November 18 includes cocktails and snacks from 5 to 8 p.m., as well as a 20 percent discount on all Rag & Bone purchases (a promotion that extends through Sunday, November 20).
The Best of the Rest
- Sugar Bliss Cake Boutique (509 N. Orleans St.; 312-845-9669, sugarblisscakes.com) welcomes Cake Plate Boutique (cakeplateonline.com), a contemporary women’s boutique in California, for a trunk show on Thursday, November 17 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Browse clothing from Milly (millyny.com), Trina Turk (trinaturk.com), and Orla Kiely (orlakiely.com).
- Posh Essentials (658 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-945-7674, shoppingposh.com) features vintage accessories and handbags from Luxury Garage Sale (luxurygaragesale.com)—as well as artisan cheese, cupcakes, drinks, and raffle prizes—on Thursday, November 17 from 2 to 7 p.m.
- I.D. Chicago (3337 N. Halsted St.; 773-755-4343, idchicago.com) offers 20 percent off all furniture from Gus Modern (gusmodern.com) Thursday, November 17 through Wednesday, November 30.
- Lillstreet Art Center (4401 N. Ravenswood Ave.; 773-769-4226, lillstreet.com) highlights its recently expanded collection of handmade earrings, necklaces, brooches, and rings with a five-week series of weekend-long trunk shows, starting Thursday, November 17 through Sunday, November 20. Each trunk show—the last of which takes place Thursday, December 15 through Sunday, December 18—features artist appearances and an opening reception that Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m.
- The Design Center at the Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 312-527-4141, merchandisemartdesigncenter.com) takes up to 75 percent off furniture, area rugs, accessories, and lighting at participating showrooms Friday, November 18 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, November 19 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit martdesigncenter.com/samplesale for a list of participating vendors.
- Flourish Studios (3020 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-281-8140, icanflourish.com), a motivational lifestyle studio and boutique, hosts a beauty and fashion event Saturday, November 19 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy demos and personalized tips from L. Studio (lstudiosalon.com), as well as Five Accessories (fiveaccessories.com) and Stella & Dot (stelladot.com) trunk shows.
- Green Home Chicago (213 N. Morgan St., Suite 1D; 312-432-9400, ghcdesigncenter.com) features locally made home accessories, furniture, jewelry, and lamps—as well as 25 percent off new USA-made, eco-friendly upholstered furniture—on Saturday, November 19 from 2 to 5 p.m.
- Randolph Street Holiday Market (312-666-1200, randolphstreetmarket.com) returns on Saturday, November 19 and Sunday, November 20 at Beaux Arts Plumbers Hall (1340 W. Washington St.). The event includes free parking, free gift-wrapping, and shopping refund vouchers. Tickets—$10 at the gate or $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com—provide entry both days.