Buy It Now
Without close inspection, the casual passerby wouldn’t realize Luxury Garage Sale (1658 N. Wells St., 312-291-9126, luxurygaragesale.com)—with its luxe patterned wallpaper, rich blue velvet curtains, and lack of mothballs—is actually a consignment shop. After two years of pop-up shops and eBay sales (stores.ebay.com/eLuxuryGarageSale), owners Brielle Buchberg and Lindsay Segal decided it was time to establish a home base, and got to work on their soon-to-open Old Town storefront. “The reason we hesitated to open a store is because consignment shops can get stale,” Segal says. “Our store is different because we’ll be getting in new items every single day.” Those items include everything from contemporary designers like DVF, Tibi, and Tory Burch all the way up to Hermes, Balenciaga, and Prada. It’s quite a range, and the price tags ($30 to $10,000) reflect that. Plus, half of the store’s items have never even been worn—Buchberg and Segal work with stores nationwide to sell their extra inventory for up to 85 percent off retail.
Luxury Garage Sale opens its doors Thursday at 10 a.m. Currently in stock: a Chanel tote bag ($1,295), Missoni striped top ($75), and piles of vintage jewelry ($30-$500). Those with designer duds hanging in their closets can bring in their goods to consign (the store will collect a 35 percent commission).
Top Sales This Week
It only comes but once a year, and the Jayson Home Warehouse Sale (701 N. Albany Ave., jaysonhome.com) takes place this weekend in Humboldt Park. The getting is good: Score 50 to 90 percent off furniture pieces such as sofas, chairs, and bookcases, along with rugs, lighting, and other accessories. A reduced delivery fee of $49 is available all weekend. Check out the sale Friday through Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Shop bridal bijoux and French-inspired gifts at The Left Bank’s Annual Sample Sale (1155 W. Webster Ave., 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) this week. Heaps of jewelry, headpieces, and wedding shoes are discounted up to 80 percent through Thursday.
The Best of the Rest
- Dovetail (1452 W. Chicago Ave., 312-508-3398, dovetailchicago.com) recently began carrying the made-in-Chicago line Vagrant Nobility (vagrantnobility.com), a workwear-inspired collection designed for the Midwestern man. Peruse fitted chambray shirts ($150), cotton neckties ($55), and reversible bowties ($50) at a special kickoff event on Friday, from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Fans of Jason Wu (jasonwustudio.com)—the famed designer of Michelle Obama’s Inaugural Ball gown—can shop his spring 2013 collection today and tomorrow at a trunk show at Neapolitan Collection (715 Elm St., Winnetka, 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com).
- Barrington boutique Starr Couture (starrcouture.com) has opened a city pop-up (75 E. Walton St., 847-962-2207) just in time for holiday shopping season. Owner Starr Kondos, who makes frequent trips to Milan and Paris to buy designer and one-of-a-kind garments, is peddling her high-end finds at the temporary space through December 31.
- Cross a few more names off your gift list at the Artisan Market Streeterville (soarchicago.org) this weekend. Go for the hand-dyed scarves by Janice (janice-chicago.com) and Chicago-inspired art prints by Dennis O’Malley (dennisbomalley.com); stay for the small-batch treats by Do-Rite Donuts (doritedonuts.com) and buttery lobster rolls from Shaw’s Crab House (shawscrabhouse.com). The free market runs Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Ryan Family Atrium of Northwestern University’s Lurie Center (303 E. Superior St.).
- Dose Market (dosemarket.com) returns to the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St., 312-321-1001, rivereastartcenter.com) on Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Vendors to watch: Andrea Reynders (andreareynders.com) with her sculpted wool jackets, Mineralogy Jewelry (mineralogydesign.com) with chic pyrite rings, and Poetry While You Wait (poemswhileyouwait.tumblr.com) with witty, on-demand poems on the topic of your choosing.
Selling handmade gifts, home goods, and original artwork, Ukrainian Village newbie Paperish Mess (1955 W. Chicago Ave., 312-265-1497, paperishmess.com) debuts with an in-store cocktail party on Saturday, from 7 to 10 p.m.
Henri Bendel (henribendel.com) continues painting Chicagoland in its brown and white stripes, opening a third area location in Oak Brook (100 Oak Brook Center, 630-586-3679, henribendel.com) on Thursday.
2 weeks ago