It’s become Chicago’s unofficial map—that typographic neighborhood poster created by local graphic designer Jenny Beorkrem of Ork Posters that’s likely hanging on your living room wall. If it’s not, pick one up at Neighborly (2003 W. Montrose Ave., 773-840-2456, neighborlyshop.com), Beorkrem’s new storefront. The shop contains the complete Ork Posters collection of maps ($22-$35), along with home goods, quirky gifts, and a treasure trove of wall accessories created by independent artists.
For more curated finds from the local creative community, check out Paperish Mess (1955 W. Chicago Ave., 312-265-1497, paperishmess.com), an art gallery and boutique that opened in Ukrainian Village earlier this month. The shelves teem with hidden gems similar to those you’d stumble upon at a pop-up art fair: original artwork, handmade decor, and wearable wants by more than 50 independent artists. Look out for letterpress prints, artisanal soaps, hand-knit scarves, and Shop Kitty—the store’s loveable feline mascot. Prices start at $4, with most items ranging $20-$50.
Top Sales This Week
Belly Dance Maternity (bellydancematernity.com) is celebrating 10 years in Chicago with its first-ever Fill Your Bag Sale. Buy a medium ($125) or large ($250) bag and stuff it with designer brands such as Ella Moss, NOM, Michael Stars Maternity, and Isabella Oliver. The cash-only sale takes place at the Highland Park store (1849 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park, 847-926-0053) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, and at the city location (1647 N. Damen Ave., 773-862-1133) from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday.
Renegade Craft Fair (renegadecraft.com) holds its holiday market this weekend, combining hundreds of indie artists’ wares with food and booze at the Pulaski Park Fieldhouse (1419 W. Blackhawk St., 312-226-8654). The event takes place Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and coincides with Unwrap Wicker Park Bucktown (wickerparkbucktown.com), a shopping event featuring a free trolley that will circulate the neighborhood and make stops at the fair.
The Best of the Rest
- Greeting card and gift shop Paper Doll (2027 W. Division St., 773-227-6950, paperdollchicago.com) celebrates its 12th anniversary with special deals on Saturday and Sunday. Buy two boxes of holiday cards and get one box free and score a “Buy Now Save Later” discount card to use in January.
- Newly launched design and lifestyle boutique Studio KL (444 N. Orleans St., 4th Floor, 312-245-2885, kennethludwig.com) holds an Open House and Holiday Spirits event on Thursday from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Check out the store’s home accessories while sipping cocktails, and let interior and floral designer Ramsey Jay Prince help you create your own holiday wreath.
- Shop clothing, accessories, home décor, and more from local female-owned businesses at the Holiday CRAVE-ings Shopping Party (2014 W. Belle Plaine Ave.) on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online for $15 or at the door for $20.
- Every Monday through December 24, shoppers can draw from a bowl of discount coupons at Sacred Art (4619 N. Lincoln Ave., 773-728-2803, sacredartstore.com) for the chance to save up to 50 percent on purchases.
- Logan Square shops throw open their doors for Holidays on the Square (holidaysonthesquare.net) on Saturday. From 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., participating businesses will serve up sweets and treats, such as seasonal cocktails at Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd., 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) and mulled cider and tastings at The Scrumptious Pantry (3230 W. Fullerton Ave., 301-979-9751, scrumptiouspantry.com).
- Chicago-based celebrity event planner Debi Lilly (aperfectevent.com) will be at Room & Board (10071 Skokie Blvd., Skokie, 847-673-2655, roomandboard.com) for a winter holiday tablescaping demonstration on Saturday from 12 to 2 p.m. The event is free, and light bites and refreshments will be served.
- Lucy Sykes Reille, fashion director of Rent the Runway (renttherunway.com) will be dishing out holiday styling tips at W City Center (172 W. Adams St., Great Room 2, 312-332-1200) from 7 to 9 p.m. tomorrow. The free event is open to the public and all rentals will be 50 percent off for the evening. RSVP if you want in.
5 hours ago