This Chicago-based Shoe Line is the New Business-Casual Go-To
When Gavin Hoffman, a former UPenn quarterback, couldn’t find the perfect pair of men’s loafers, he resolved to make his own. He left a career in finance in 2009 to start work on Austen Heller, his take on the traditional driving moccasin in stylish colorways—rich leather with red soles, blue suede with orange stitching. The durable soles are designed for comfortable pavement-pounding, while the body is made from Italian leather and suede, all hand-stitched in Portugal.
Find out how much they cost and where to buy. Read more …
Top Sales and Openings this Week
Iridium Clothing Co. Opened on State Street
This Chicago-based streetwear brand officially opens its first brick-and-mortar shop. Read more …
The Annie O Fall Sample Sale Is On
Don’t miss the $10-or-less rack at the biannual event in West Town on Wednesday. Read more …
The Best of the Rest
- The School of the Art Institute holds its 25th-annual holiday art sale—a treasure trove of handmade items and works of art created by students—this weekend. Find it at the SAIC Ballroom (112 S. Michigan Ave.) on Friday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free, and the art runs from $1 to $1,000.
- Lillstreet Art Center (4401 N Ravenswood Ave.) in Ravenswood hosts its second-annual Holiday Art Fair—another great holiday-themed shopping event–on Friday evening from 6 to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The studio’s gift shop and classrooms will be transformed into a marketplace of one-of-a-kind gifts created by 60 local artisans, ranging from ceramics and jewelry to sculptural objects and creative toys.
- Cynthia Rowley has just announced a holiday sample sale, to be held at its Bucktown store (1653 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9209) Thursday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day. Select styles will be discounted by up to 85 percent, one-of-a-kind samples will be reduced to under $60, and holiday gifts and accessories will be under $40.
- Contemporary women’s boutique Edith Hart (1917 N. Damen Ave., 773-252- 3350, edithhart.com) offers 20 percent off storewide, now through Sunday. Dresses by Bec & Bridge, leather jackets by La Marque, and knits from Generation Love are all marked down. To shop online, use code FALL4EH.
- Elad Yifrach, the founder of home décor and luxury gift purveyor L’Objet makes a personal appearance at Elements (741 N. Wells St., 312-642-6574, elementschicago.com) this week to present his new collection dubbed “Cabinet de Curiosities” and sign pieces. Shop the collection during a cocktail reception on Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. or on Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Blogger Gia Lee hostesses an in-store shopping event at women’s boutique Roslyn (2035 N. Damen Ave., 773-489-1311, roslynboutique.com) tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. To help with typhoon relief efforts in the Philippines, the store will donate 25 percent of the evening’s sales to UNICEF.
- Ganesha Yoga and Adventures in Fitness (3113 N. Lincoln Ave., 773-904-7870, ganeshayogachicago.com) holds a trunk show of holiday dresses by plus-size line KIYONNA. Check out the shopping and style soiree, produced by vive la femme (vivelafemme.com), Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m.
3 months ago
3 months ago