Perchance to Shop
The new Lake View boutique Perchance (3512 N. Southport Ave.; 773-244-1300) strikes just the right note with its lush, vintage glam décor and feminine shoes, supplemented by a smart selection of women’s and children’s clothing and body products. Go vintage with the ‘40s-inspired shoes from Bettye Muller, such as the gray suede heel with a bow ($405) or the cute flats ($215) from Delman, the same brand Marilyn Monroe wore in her famous white-dress-over-the-grate photo. The heels from Anyi Lu, a former designer for Taryn Rose, have a shock-absorbing insole made from material invented by NASA, called Poron, for long-lasting comfort; the faux- croc patent heels are $345. You’ll also find an array of comfortable boot options, such as the leather knee-high from Attilio Giusti Leombruni ($460) or the waterproof suede boots with a cashmere lining from La Canadienne ($260). Familiar brands such as Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, and Donald J Pliner round out the selection. The store carries handbags from the New York line Hayden-Harnett, a slouchy work bag with a bright-pink interior from Jennifer Kale ($645), and a bowling-style leather bag from Renee Davide ($290). The selection of women’s apparel is small but stylish, including a gray turtleneck cashmere dress from QI Cashmere ($245), a wool plaid coat from An Ren ($435), and dresses and separates from Lilly Pulitzer. The boutique hosts a grand opening with Champagne, music, and a raffle for a pair of shoes on Oct. 18th from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Ten percent of the night’s proceeds benefit the Young Women’s Leadership Charter School in Chicago.
Top Sales This Week
Here’s one that doesn’t come around everyday: Find yourself an unusual Halloween costume or perhaps a collector’s item at the Costume Sale at the Goodman Theatre (170 N. Dearborn St.; 312-443-3811), the first such sale in five years, on Oct. 20th from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The theater is clearing out costumes from past shows such as the Philip Glass opera Galileo Galilei, Mary Zimmerman’s recent Mirror of the Invisible World, and Stephen Sondheim’s Bounce, among other shows. Headdresses from The Dreams of Sarah Breedlove will also be included in the sale. Prices range from $1 to $250. No preview is available; cash only.
The Best of the Rest
- The celebrity craze for their trademark boots may have died down, but there are plenty more shoe options to choose from at the new Chicago store for UGG Australia (909 N. Rush St.; 312-255-1280). In addition to the sheepskin boots ($200), check out suede wedges ($140), loafers ($120), and leather heeled boots ($295.)
- Madison and Friends and The Denim Lounge (43 E. Oak St.; 312-642-6403) host a grand opening celebration at the new location on Oct. 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. with food, drinks, and 25 percent off all merchandise, including the location’s new lines Anlo, 1921, Appaman, Ella Moss, and Rock & Religion. Check out the Virtual Fitting Room at The Denim Lounge, with mirrors and cameras that project onto a flat screen to make sure jeans fit well from all angles.
- Need new specs? Check out the Eyelooks Designer Trunk Show on Oct. 18th through 20th at Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-3573) on the ninth floor. You get 30 percent off frames for men, women, and children from designers such as Gucci, Coach, Christian Dior, Kate Spade, and Valentino (the sale does not include non-prescription sunglasses and Swarovski). You can also schedule an eye exam; call to book a time.
- City Soles (2001 W. North Ave., 773-489-2001; 3432 N. Southport Ave., 773-665-4233) hosts a Midnight Madness sale on Oct. 18th, with everything in the store on sale, and cocktails, raffles and giveaways. The sale at the North Avenue store runs 11 a.m. to midnight; the one at the Southport store runs 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Check out the new Alessi (611 N. State St.; 312-274-6500) at the grand opening party on Oct. 18th from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. with music and beverages. RSVP to 212-353-1383 and mention “Sales Check” to attend.
- Eskell (1509 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-486-0830) has opened in its new Wicker Park space, with new lines such as sweaters from Preloved, Hayden-Harnett handbags, Judi Rosen denim, and the new fall line from the store’s own label, Eskell.
- Take 40 percent off denim through the end of October at Exhibit (2961 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-880-0448) on brands such as Seven, J and Company, and Frankie B.
- Stuart Weitzman (900 Shops, 900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-943-5760) hosts a trunk show from Oct. 17th through 21st with a preview of the Spring 2008 collection and an opportunity to order ahead for hard-to-find sizes.
- Get complimentary foot reflexology and save 20 percent off all merchandise at the Foot Fashion party at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) on Oct. 18th from 6 to 9 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- On Oct. 20th, Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967) hosts a trunk show of Heather Moore’s jewelry, a line that can be personalized with names and dates, and with initials on charms. All pieces are made to order; view samples at heathermoorejewelry.com.
- B Boutique (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102) hosts a Jane Hamill trunk show on Oct. 20th from noon to 4 p.m.
- Meet designer Thomas O’Brien at Bloomingdale’s Home and Furniture Store (600 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-440-4515) on Oct. 18th from 6 to 8 p.m., when he introduces his new collections of tabletop goods and furniture. RSVP to the store by Oct. 16th.
- Only She (710 N. State St.; 312-335-1353) hosts a trunk show with the fluid, feminine designs from Marie Saint Pierre on Oct. 19th through 21st.
- Customize a winter coat by choosing the style, fur color, and length at the shearling trunk show on Oct. 20th at Mark Shale (Northbrook Court, Northbrook; 847-272-3860).
- 1154 Lill (904 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-477-5455) will donate 10 percent of the store’s sales on Oct. 16th and 17th to the Young Survival Coalition, which helps women under the age of 40 with breast cancer.
- Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773.248.4477) hosts a diaper-bag trunk show on Oct. 20th and 21st, from lines Storksak, Loom, Susan Fitch, and Diaper Dude.
- The Lake County Discovery Museum (27277 Forest Preserve Rd., Wauconda; 847-968-3400) presents Pocketbook Anthropology: A Treasure of Handbags, an exhibition of handbags from 1880 to the present. Runs Oct. 20th through Jan. 20th. Tickets are $6.