Wes Gordon (wesgordon.com) may have launched his first collection of sophisticated, modern women’s clothing in New York, but the 25-year-old designer’s roots are in Chicago. “I lived there until I was four, and my dad’s family is still there,” he says. Gordon, whose career catapulted after his line debuted in 2010 during New York Fashion Week, now makes frequents visits to his birthplace. “I come to Chicago about six to seven times a year,” he says. Gordon returns to Chicago next week for a trunk show of his spring 2012 designs at Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500, saksfifthavenue.com) on Thursday, October 20 and Friday, October 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Call 312-799-5230 to schedule an appointment for a fitting.) “It’s my biggest collection so far,” says the designer, who will be at the store Friday to meet with customers and assist with custom fittings (pieces will be available for preorder, with deliveries scheduled for February or March 2012). Gordon’s spring collection features dramatic yet feminine tailored skirts, trousers, blazers, and dresses in rich fabrics and vibrant colors. Standouts include a drop-waist pleated skirt with degrade embroidery ($2,500), a pointelle cardigan with ivory trim in citron ($1,290), and a dirndl skirt in cadmium red ($1,150). Pieces from Gordon’s fall 2011 collection also will be available, including a cashmere double-breasted coat ($2,550), a silk tie-neck blouse ($775), and high-waisted, wide-leg pants in wool with leather trim ($875). Gordon comes back to Illinois in November for a second spring 2012 trunk show at Neapolitan Collection (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) Thursday, November 3 through Saturday, November 5. Call 847-441-7784 to schedule an appointment with the designer.
Top Sales This Week
Fashion Focus Chicago (explorechicago.org/fashion), an annual showcase of fashion design and shopping in Chicago, returns this week with runway shows, shopping events, and more through Sunday, October 23. This year’s highlights include InspireDesign, featuring the latest creations from Imaginary People (imaginarypeopleonline.com), J.Cheikh (jcheikh.com), and other Chicago designers on Wednesday, October 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Chase Promenade North at Millennium Park (201 E. Randolph St.) and Fashion Pops @ The Block (block37.com), with refreshments and discounts at select Block 37 shops Tuesday, October 18 through Friday, October 21. For a full schedule of events, visit explorechicago.org/fashion.
Chicago Shopping (chicagoshopping.com) co-hosts, with DailyCandy Deals, a fall shopping event featuring 20 percent off fall merchandise from Michael Kors (michaelkors.com), Ted Baker (tedbaker.com), L.K. Bennett (lkbennett.com), and other retailers on Thursday, October 20 from 5 to 9 p.m. Visit offers.chicagoshopping.com/shoppingevent to RSVP.
The Best of the Rest
- p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523, p45.com) launches “4 Designers 4 Cure,” a collection of exclusive designs to benefit Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy (cureepilepsy.org), on Wednesday, October 19. The custom pieces include autographed headbands from Eugenia Kim (eugeniakim.com), keychain charms by Lizzie Fortunato (lizziefortunatojewels.com), crescent moons on red leather cords from Sarah McGuire (sarahmcguire.com), and knit dresses by Abigail Glaum-Lathbury (abigail-glaum-lathbury.com).
- Madison & Friends (43 E. Oak St.; 312-642-6403, madisonandfriends.com) and The Denim Lounge (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; 2039 W. Roscoe St., 773-935-2820) offer daily deals through Sunday, October 23 in celebration of Madison & Friends’ 15th anniversary. Highlights at the Oak Street location, which houses both stores, include 30 percent off all merchandise, as well as snacks, drinks, and music, on Thursday, October 20 from 5 to 9 p.m. For the full list of details and events, visit madisonandfriends.com and click on the “Our 15th Anniversary” icon.
- Hubba-Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414, hubbahubbachicago.com) celebrates 23 years in business with a party on Thursday, October 20 from 5 to 8 p.m. The first 20 shoppers receive goody bags, as well as a $10 gift card for future purchases. All guests receive wine, snacks, and 23 percent off new merchandise (a discount that extends through Sunday, October 23).
- Sarca (710 N. Wabash Ave.; 312-255-0900, shopsarca.com) holds its “Fall 2, 3, 4 Sale” with deals on designer and contemporary apparel, shoes, and accessories through Friday, October 21. Buy two items to receive a 15 percent discount, three items to receive a 20 percent discount, or four items to receive a 30 percent discount.
- Antiques + Modernism Winnetka (thewinnetkashow.com), a merger of the Winnetka Antiques Show and the Modernism Show, fills the Winnetka Community House (620 Lincoln Ave., Winnetka; 847-446-0537, winnetkacommunityhouse.org) Friday, October 21 through Sunday, October 23 with furniture, silver, ceramics, jewelry, garden antiques, lighting, rugs, and textiles.
- Kickin’ (2120 N. Halsted St., 773-525-2120; 2142 W. Roscoe St., 773-281-6577, kickinmaternity.com) holds a fall fashion show for expectant and new moms at Turquoise Café (2147 W. Roscoe St.; 773-549-3523, turquoisedining.com) on Saturday, October 22 from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Guests receive a four-course brunch and a 15 percent discount on fall merchandise from both Kickin’ locations, as well as from its sister store À Pied (2037 W. Roscoe St.; 773-281-2210). Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door. RSVP is required; call 773-281-6577 to reserve a seat.
- The Gilt City Warehouse Sale (giltcity.com/chicago/warehousesalechi) features up to 80 percent off apparel and home goods on Saturday, October 22 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the MCA Warehouse (1747 W. Hubbard St.). Attendees each receive a two-hour shopping time slot, and inventory will be updated throughout the day. Tickets, $10, are available at giltcity.com/chicago/warehousesalechi. Admission is limited to customers 21 and older; payment must be made by credit card.
- The Golden Triangle (330 N. Clark St.; 312-755-1266, goldentriangle.biz) showcases European, Chinese, and Southeast Asian antiques during its fall design show Friday, October 21 through Saturday, November 19.
6 days ago
3 weeks ago