Get threads at up to 80 percent off retail at Clothes Mentor (582 S. Route 59, Naperville; 630-355-0009), a new resale store dedicated to brands often seen at malls, such as Gap, J. Crew, J. Jill, Chico’s, and Ralph Lauren, among others. “When you walk in the front door, you would never know it’s resale,” says owner Elaine Krieger, who also owns five Plato’s Closet teen resale stores and two Once Upon A Child children’s resale stores. “Our customer may never have shopped resale, but she wants value for her money.” You’ll find items such as an Ann Taylor knit top for $10 (retail price $60) or Talbots jackets for $15. Better organized than a thrift store and targeted to women over 30, Krieger’s boutique is also a less expensive alternative to designer consignment; she says the average price for an item in her store is $9. You’ll also find petite, misses, and plus sizes; maternity wear from brands like A Pea in the Pod and Mimi Maternity; and shoes, jewelry, and purses, including a well organized wall dedicated to Coach handbags. (A Coach purse with fur that retailed for $420 is marked $125.) To keep the inventory fresh, the store will have a clearance sale every 90 days. No appointment is necessary for sellers, and the store pays cash. An additional Orland Park store is planned for March.
Top Sales This Week
One of New York’s favorite shopping events Shecky’s Girls Night Out returns on Sept. 19th and 20th from 5 to 10 p.m. (Great Hall at Union Station, 210 S. Canal St.). Enjoy free cocktails, beauty treatments, and up to 75 percent off designer apparel. General admission is $10. A girlfriend group discount allows friends to purchase tickets in a block for less—for instance, three to five friends together earn five percent off; a group of 20 or more would receive 20 percent off. Purchase tickets online at sheckys.com/chicago.
High-end stationery shop Greer (1657 N. Wells St.; 312-337-8000) hosts a Russell + Hazel trunk show on Sept. 22nd from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., offering 15 percent off the line’s well-designed collection of binders, notebooks, file totes, and other organizational accessories. Monica Friel, the founder of Chaos to Order, a local organizing service, will be on hand to offer advice. The first 100 attendees receive a complimentary copy of Organize, a new magazine.
The Best of the Rest
- M2 Boutique (3527 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-9866) celebrates its one-year anniversary on Sept. 22nd from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with Champagne, treats, and discounts. Receive a free T-shirt with a purchase of $150 or more.
- Get free makeovers, gifts, and refreshments at the Victoria’s Secret (153 Old Orchard Center, Skokie; 847-673-2842) makeover event on Sept. 20th from 6 to 8 p.m., featuring the store’s own line, Very Sexy Makeup.
- Randoons (962 ½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890) hosts its fifth annual Sip and Shop on Sept. 23rd from noon to 4 p.m. Drink, eat, shop, and bid on silent auction items—ten percent of all sales benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Take 25 percent off shelving collections at The Container Store (908 W. North Ave., 312-654-8450; 101 Skokie Blvd., Northbrook, 847-559-8222; 1500 16th St., Oakbrook, 630-573-9100; 1460 E. Golf Rd., Schaumburg, 847-240-1900) during its annual shelving sale through Oct. 21st. Come in with measurements and meet with one of the store’s planners.
- Brilli Salon, a Style Lounge (3334 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-755-4247) hosts a party for Epicuren skincare line on Sept. 20th from 6 to 8 p.m. Book treatments off the salon’s quickie menu for the night of the party to receive a complimentary makeup application after the treatment, or stop by for complimentary cocktails and appetizers. R.S.V.P. to the salon.
- Shop, mingle, and listen to music during a fashion show of the latest fall looks during the Fashionista Shopping Party at Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 800-329-8667) on Sept. 20th from 5 to 8 p.m. Call by Tuesday, Sept. 18th, to reserve a spot.
- Flirt (3449 N. Southport Ave.; 773-935-4789) offers private shopping events available to groups of 12 or more women. The store will stay open late for shopping with wine, and groups have the option to take 10 percent off all purchases or to donate 10 percent of total sales to the charity of their choice.
- Fair trade shop Ten Thousand Villages (121 N. Marion St., Oak Park; 708-788-0413) has opened a new store in Oak Park.
- Take 20 percent of accessories such as pillows, benches, mirrors, and throws at Bedside Manor LTD (2056 N. Halsted St., 773-404-2020; 929 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, 847-441-0969; 38 S. Garfield Ave., Hinsdale, 630-655-0497; 192 E. Westminster, Lake Forest, 888-295-8371) through Sept. 30th.
- The 49th annual Hinsdale Antiques Show runs Sept. 21st through 23rd at The Community House (415 W. 8th St., Hinsdale; 630-323-7500) with furniture, accents, and rugs from top quality U.S. dealers. Admission is $10.
- Siren Salon (3143 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-549-0800), one of the few places in Chicago to carry the new Shu Uemura Art of Hair line, offers a free Shu Uemura hair product of their choice to new clients who book hair-color appointments through Oct. 31st.
- TT Patton (200 Applebee Street, Barrington; 847-277-0073) hosts Ellyn Spragins, author of What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self, a collection of 41 famous women writing letters to their younger selves, for a letter writing workshop on Sept. 20th at 6 p.m. Workshop fee is $30.
3 hours ago
2 weeks ago