Shirting the Issue
Dana Killion started Killion, a women’s clothing line, in 2008 to fill a void she saw in the overall selection of women’s shirts. “There were blouses, and then there were very casual T-shirts,” Killion says. “I thought there should be something in between that had design detail but that was still comfortable.” In its first three years, the line, which started with shirts but quickly expanded to jackets, skirts, and dresses, was available only at upscale craft shows and other events. On September 17, the designer opened her first stand-alone retail space in Lincoln Park—also named Killion (1006 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-348-2790, killionclothes.com). This fall’s inventory includes a cowl-neck, stitched-waist shirt in gray ($120), an oversized T-shirt with a pleated shoulder in blue ($140), and a pleated skirt in brown ($140). In addition to the Killion label, the store also will carry jewelry ($75 to $300) by lines such as Chikahisa Studio, Kendra Renee, and Keri Starker; belts ($50-$150) by Above the Belt and other labels; and handbags ($100 to $350) by designers including Gräf & Lantz and Rebecca. Killion celebrates its grand opening on Saturday, October 1 with refreshments, appetizers, music, and drawings for free products.
Top Sales This Week
Design Harvest (design-harvest.com), an annual street festival for home design, returns on Saturday, October 1 and Sunday, October 2. Located on Grand Avenue from Damen Avenue to Wood Street, the event features vintage, antique, and locally made furniture and home accessories from 40 vendors, including Room Service (roomservice-chicago.com), Nate Berkus Associates (nateberkus.com), and Furniture Revival (chicagofurniturerevival.com).
Italian Expo Renaissance (italianexpo.us) brings Chicago fashion and Italian food and wine together under the same roof on Friday, September 30 through Sunday, October 2 at the Bridgeport Art Center (1200 W. 35th St.; bridgeportart.com). Local designers compete for a chance to go to Milan Fashion Week during a fashion show on Saturday, October 1 at 7:15 p.m. The expo is free with an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- This week, Juliewatsonstyle (900 N. Michigan Ave., fifth floor; 888-535-0047, juliewatsonstyle.com) hosts a three-day trunk show highlighting various jewelry designers. Find pieces from Sandy Hyun (sandyhyun.com) on Tuesday, September 27; K. Amato (k-amato.com) on Wednesday, September 28; and Ladybug Vintage (ladybugvintage.com) on Thursday, September 29. Jewelry prices range from $20 to $1,800, depending on the designer.
- Mulberry & Me (2019 W. Division St.; 773-952-7551, mulberryandme.com) features a West Melrose (westmelrose.com) jewelry trunk show—including wine, hors d’oeuvres, and discounts—on Thursday, September 29 from 12 to 8 p.m.
- The Denim Lounge (2039 W. Roscoe St., 773-935-2820; 43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; thedenimlounge.com) holds its denim drive through Friday, September 30. Bring in an old pair of jeans to receive 10 percent off a new pair. Bring in two or more pairs to receive 20 percent off one full-price pair.
- Mohop (mohop.com), a company that specializes in custom-fit shoes, takes 30 percent off its selection of ready-to-wear shoes—and accessories—through Friday, September 30.
- Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) hosts a Deana Rose jewelry trunk show with treats and drinks on Saturday, October 1 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ten percent of event proceeds go toward the Albany Park Theatre Project (aptpchicago.org).
- Charles Ifergan Salon (106 E. Oak St., third floor; 312-642-4484, charlesifergan.com) features a Thread Social (social.threaddesign.com) trunk show with discounts, Champagne, and an appearance by Thread Social co-owner Melissa Akey on Saturday, October 1 from 12 to 4 p.m.
- Macy’s State Street (111 N. State St.; 312-781-4884, macys.com) hosts celebrity stylist Brad Goreski on Saturday, October 1 at noon. Goreski will provide tips and advice on sunglasses styles at the store’s Sunglass Hut on the first floor.
- The Wedding Salon, a traveling event for bridal design, arrives at the W Chicago: City Center (172 W. Adams St.; 312-332-1200, whotels.com) on Monday, October 3. The event, held from 4 to 8 p.m., showcases the latest wedding trends, from gowns and accessories to invitations and table décor.
4 days ago