After months of anticipation, Topshop (us.topshop.com) opens its Chicago location at 830 North Michigan Avenue at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, September 8. The 30,000 square foot store arrives two years after the popular British retailer first expanded to the U.S. with a flagship store in New York. The Magnificent Mile site will offer women’s clothing and accessories, as well as items from Topman, Topshop’s male counterpart. Topshop produces about 15,000 pieces—ranging from $30 to $600—each year, and inventory in the Chicago store will be continually updated (as often as five times per week). This fall, look for 1930s-inspired designs from Unique (a higher-end, in-house collection), such as wide-leg devorée satin pants printed with a Deco-inspired pattern ($180). Among exclusive local items is a blue-gray nail polish ($12) named Windy City from Topshop’s beauty line. Thursday’s grand opening will feature free makeovers, style tips, and music. Prior to the opening, visit the Topshop/Topman fashion truck (through Wednesday, September 7 at 6 p.m.) at stops throughout the city for a chance to win store gift cards worth $5 to $100. Go to twitter.com/topshop for locations and times.
Top Sales This Week
Kickin’ (2120 N. Halsted St.; 773-525-2120, kickinmaternity.com) hosts a grand opening party for its Lincoln Park store on Thursday, September 8 from 6 to 9:30 p.m. The boutique offers 15 percent off all merchandise, as well as giveaways from Momma’s Jewels (mommasjewels.com), Pouch (pouchmom.com), and Ripe Maternity (ripematernity.com).
Find apparel designed for tall women during the Long Tall Sally (longtallsally.com) pop-up shop at the Club Quarters, Central Loop hotel (111 W. Adams St.; 866-539-0036, clubquarters.com) on Saturday, September 10 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, September 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- Shrine (47 E. Oak St.; 312-675-2105, shrinestyle.com) hosts a Sip and Style Soiree for men on Thursday, September 8 from 7 to 9 p.m. The event includes in-store discounts, services from Halo [For Men] (halochicago.com), drinks from Spicebox Whisky (spiceboxwhisky.com), and fittings from Sebastien Grey Clothiers (sebastiengrey.com).
- Vive la Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com)—in conjunction with Isabella Fine Lingerie (840 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-281-2352, shopisabella.com) and Vaudezilla (3614 W. Belmont Ave.; 773-558-0081, vaudezilla.com)—hosts a plus-size bra-fitting event on Thursday, September 8 from 5 to 8 p.m. including complimentary cupcakes and 20 percent off all clothing purchases. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enjoy wine, Champagne, dessert, and discounts at Cerato (3451 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-8604, ceratoboutique.com) on Thursday, September 8 from 6 to 9 p.m. Receive 20 percent off all fall merchandise, and pick a flower from the boutique’s “garden” to save an additional 10 to 40 percent off at the register. Discounts dwindle through the weekend: Save 15 percent on fall items Friday, September 9, and 10 percent on Saturday, September 10 and Sunday, September 11.
- Spex (spexchicago.com) hosts multiple opening receptions this month for its “Art + Vision” series. The Geneva location (507 S. Third St.; 630-397-5900) showcases photography by Denis Kruk on Friday, September 9 from 5 to 7 p.m., while the Lake View location (3760 N. Broadway Ave.; 773-975-2020) displays mixed media drawings by Ethan Hutchinson on Saturday, September 10 from 5 to 8 p.m. Both events include refreshments, appetizers, and Beausoleil trunk shows.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com) features Kate Boggiano’s fall 2011 collection of tailored blouses and jackets on Friday, September 9 from 12 to 6 p.m. Travel next door to Florodora Shoes (348 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) during the same time for an All Black trunk show of shoes and boots.
- Take 50 to 80 percent off more than 2,000 sample items, overstocked merchandise, and discontinued styles at the 1154 LILL Studio Warehouse (1511 W. 38th St.; 773-292-6310, 1154lill.com) on Saturday, September 10. Doors open at 8 a.m.
- Learn how to get a “fresh-from-the-salon” look during a blow-dry boot camp at Fuga Centro (8 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-332-3842, salonfuga.com) on Sunday, September 11 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. The two-hour class features tips for straight, curly, and wavy hair, as well as complimentary products and special discounts on hair-styling tools. Call 312-332-3842 to reserve a space.
- Save 30 percent on all full-priced goods at online-only boutique Grasshopper 510 (773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) through Monday, September 12. Use promo code “dogdays2011” during online checkout to receive the discount.
- Purchase select eco-friendly countertops at Green Home Chicago (213 N. Morgan St.; 312-432-9400, ghcdesigncenter.com) to receive 10 percent off kitchen cabinets through Saturday, December 31.
2 days ago