Three friends have teamed up to open Market Supply Co. (1747 S. Halsted St., 773-609-2887, marketsupplyco.com), a vintage boutique in Pilsen. With Mad Men–era dresses on the racks, handmade jewelry designs on the shelves, and a little in-store barber shop in back, the store feels nothing like the average secondhand shop.
Market Supply Co. is the product of three local sellers and makers united over their shared love for vintage and eco-friendly fashion. Karyn Dethrow of Dethrose Vintage brings her well-curated stock of vintage blouses, dresses, and accessories to the store ($28–$225) while her fiancé, Mike Ader of MidNorth Mercantile sources American-made men’s items, such as button-ups ($45) and tweed blazers ($95) from the heritage brand Pendleton. Ader also runs the barber shop, offering classic men’s haircuts ($25) and mustache/beard trims ($15).
Merl Kinzie is the designer behind the store’s handmade jewelry line ($24–$90), Clyde’s Rebirth. Kinzie crafts baubles from vintage and recycled materials and will even create a custom piece for shoppers when she’s in the store on Fridays and Saturdays.
Top Sales This Week
To make room for new pieces, local women’s designer Elmidae (1457 N. Wood St., 312-771-7359, elmidae.com) opens up its studio for a fall sample sale. See the new collection of tailored architectural clothing and shop discounts on past collections this Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 6 p.m.
Chicago-based denim line Henry & Belle (shophenryandbelle.com) previews its colorful fall collection ($125 to $215) at the newly remodeled Denim Lounge (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403, thedenimlounge.com) tomorrow from 5 to 8 p.m. Shoppers receive 20 percent off their entire purchase and a portion of proceeds benefit Imerman Angels (imermanangels.org).
The Best of the Rest
- Giuliana Rancic of E! News hosts a fall fashion show benefitting Bright Pink (brightpink.org) on Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m. at Westfield Old Orchard (4999 Old Orchard Center, Skokie, westfield.com/oldorchard).
- Thursday through Sunday, bridal boutique Jenny Yoo (300 W. Superior St., Ste. 102, 312-642-2327, jennyyoo.com) hosts a Nicole Miller Trunk Show showcasing the designer’s latest fall collection. All Nicole Miller orders will be 10 percent off during the event. Call 312-642-2327 to RSVP.
- Local home and garden vendors including Dock 6, Nicolet Candle Company, and Organic Looms promise an “aesthetic feast” this weekend at the fourth-annual Design Harvest Festival (design-harvest.com). Find the outdoor market on Grand Avenue between Damen and Wood Avenues on Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. A $5 donation is requested.
- In Evanston, the shops on the 1800-2100 blocks of Central Street (centralstreet-evanston.com) stay open late (until 9 p.m.) on Thursday to offer special discounts, giveaways, raffles, trunk shows, and refreshments during the annual Retail Therapy event.
- p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave., 773-862-4523) holds a trunk show featuring the vibrant jewelry line Orly Genger by Jaclyn Mayer (jaclynmayer.com) on Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. This is the first Chicago event for the brand.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago