This Pop-Up Shop Is a Grown Man’s Playground
For the third year in a row, lifestyle magazine Men’s Journal opens its Gear Lab Pop-Up Shop in River North this week. The interactive retail space is filled with techie toys, stylish wares, and unique gifts, most of which are pulled from the publication’s 2013 “Gear of the Year” list. The goods range from outdoor gear and fitness equipment to grooming goods and cooking tools: Topping the list this year is a leather bomber jacket by Bleeker, Bluetooth ear warmers by 180, and a Babolat tennis racket that connects to your smartphone. What to buy for the man who has everything? The DJI Phantom, a remote-controlled flying camera.
Top Sale This Week
Score Signature Jewelry at Stocking Stuffer Prices
Three times a year, K.Amato’s jewelry line goes from reasonably priced to ridiculous. Find hundreds of pieces marked down to $5, $10, and $15 at the designer’s annual holiday sale. Read more …
The Best of the Rest
- Chalk Boutique (2611 Prairie Ave., Evanston, 847-424-0011, chalkboutique.com) is in the midst of a 60- percent-off sale: Discounts apply to select clothing and accessory from lines including Isabel Marant, Reed Krakoff, and Alexander Wang. Shop the sale through the end of the month.
- Artist Neil Galati, who uses reclaimed wood and vintage materials to create incredible art pieces and furniture for Wreck Creation, sets up a holiday pop-up at Headquarters Beercade (2833 N. Sheffield Ave., 773-665-5660) tomorrow from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. All merchandise is marked 20 percent off and shoppers score a complimentary cocktail.
- Liz Schneider of the blog Sequins & Stripes has chosen items from her favorite local boutiques and brands (including Dana Rebecca Designs and Agent Provocateur) for a Sequins & Stripes Holiday Shopping Soiree at Del Frisco’s (58 E. Oak St.) tomorrow from 6 to 8 p.m. Schneider’s fave piece from each vendor is marked 20 percent off, and party-goers are treated to light bites, holiday cocktails, and a complimentary braid bar from Blow by Blow salon.
- Chicago-based designer Kelsey Tanner O’Connor showcases her Tanner O’Connor Design Lab Atelier dress collection at Urban Mischief (5135 N. Clark St., 630-254-0271, urbanmischiefchicago.com) on Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. Complimentary custom fitting is available; shoppers can also opt for a made-to-order style for less than $200.
- Local graphic apparel brand Fourth is King holds a pop-up sale at the Silver Room (1442 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-278-7130) in Wicker Park on Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. Along with debuting a new winter collection, the brand is set to premiere its t-shirt collaboration with singer/songwriter Phil Jacobson, who performs at 7 p.m.
- French furniture and lifestyle brand Ligne Roset (440 N. Wells St., 312-222-9300, ligne-roset-usa.com) is holding an in-store Warehouse Sale from Friday to Sunday. Floor samples, overstock and discontinued items will be up to 60 percent off. So you know what you’re in for, here’s a sampling of sale items from the previous warehouse sale: Confluences three-seat sofa with arm originally $7,385, sale price $4,000; Bianco table with three leaves originally $4,760, sale price $3,570; Maly bed with pillows and trays originally $6,225, sale price $3,745.
- Glam to Go (2002 W. Roscoe St.), Cinnamon Boutique (2104 W. Roscoe St.), Crush (2138 W. Roscoe St.), and other Roscoe Village boutiques stay open until 9 p.m. on Saturday for Roscoe Village WinterFest.
- The Grand Avenue Design District (Grand Ave. between Ashland Ave. and Western Ave.) in West Town holds its annual shopping event, Holiday Shop Hop, on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days. Throughout the weekend, the district’s home design boutiques offer up exclusive sales, including 20 percent off everything at Design Inc. (1847 W. Grand Ave.) and a huge floor sample sale at EuroFurniture (2145 W. Grand Ave).
- Wicker Park’s boutiques team up for Do-Division Holiday, a festive neighborhood event on Division Street (between Ashland Ave. and Leavitt St.) featuring exclusive sales, complimentary drinks and food, and caroling and more. Check out the fête on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The always-popular Renegade Craft Fair returns this weekend for its eighth-annual holiday market. Shop handmade designs from more than 150 indie artists on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Pulaski Park Fieldhouse (1419 W. Blackhawk St.). Admission is free.
1 month ago
2 months ago