(page 3 of 3)
Crispy Warm Goat Cheese Salad
/ serves: 4 for luncheon (or 6 side salads)
- 5 small beets
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 4 2 oz. pucks fresh goat cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grape seed oil
- 5 oz. fresh organic baby arugula
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
1. Peel and cut beets into eighths. Toss with olive oil and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Roast at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until soft all the way through and edges are caramelized. (Can be done up to a day ahead.)
2. Coat the goat cheese pucks on all sides with panko bread crumbs.
3. Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with grape seed oil. Place goat cheese pucks in pan and cook 1-2 minutes on each side, until bread crumbs are brown.
4. Toss arugula with dressing (recipe below) and top each serving with roasted beets, goat cheese, and pine nuts.
/ yields: ½ cup
- ¼ c. fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp. raspberry vinegar
- ½ tsp. chopped shallot
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Purée first three ingredients together and then whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
PhotographY: Matthew Gilson