Do I Need a Life Coach?

The rise of this new approach to self-improvement leads to answers for many—and questions, too

(page 1 of 2)

Life coaching emerged as a profession about ten years ago, and the field has grown rapidly since then. In 1999, the International Coach Federation (ICF) had roughly 2,100 North American members; today, that figure is more than 8,000. The organization’s local chapter, the Chicago Coach Federation, has grown from 239 members in 2004 to 325 members currently. But questions about the practice still exist—namely, what does a life coach actually do, and how is it different from therapy? Here, a primer in five easy pieces:

Take Stock

The biggest hurdle can be figuring out whether dissatisfaction with one’s life is a problem that needs help from the outside. Amy Fenton, an Oak Park stay-at-home mom, was stuck. “I had this vague idea that I didn’t want to be doing this forever,” Fenton recalls. “But I had this question: What do I do with the rest of my life?” Feeling utterly worn down by the demands of parenting her young daughter, Fenton, who has degrees in art and theatre but had been working in an unrewarding office job when she became a mother, decided to hire a life coach.

Before the first session, the coach asked Fenton to assess various areas of her life—career, physical environment, fun and recreation, and so forth—and how she felt about them. Fenton made some surprising discoveries. “I was very frustrated with [lack of] personal growth, because I was home with Ariel all the time,” she says. “[But] in the process of talking with my coach I realized I was doing a lot of personal growth—but I

didn’t like it. Also, I was very career focused when I started talking to her, but she really helped me identify how I was going to make my whole life work better.”

Understand the Difference Between a Life Coach and a Therapist

Coaches—and clients—are adamant that while the line between coaching and therapy can seem a bit blurry, they are not the same thing. “Therapy is all about your feelings and your past,” Fenton says, adding that the time she previously spent in therapy would have been better spent with a coach. “I wasn’t frustrated because of my family history; I was frustrated because I felt stuck. A coach is not going to get into your psyche—they’re going to help you take action.”

Jim Korenich, a social worker and director of clinical services for Chicago-based Employee Resource Systems, which works with employers to provide counseling services to their employees, has been trained, but doesn’t practice, as a life coach. He agrees with Fenton’s assessment, adding that coaching is most appropriate for people who are emotionally healthy already. “If someone’s been married six times, they pro­bably need a therapist, not a coach,” Korenich points out. “There’s not a problem finding people to marry; they need to find out why they’ve been married so much.”

Illustration: Hanna Melin/agoodson.com

comments
Posted by Life Coach

If you need a life coach, email radio@melrobbins.com. She has an amazing radio show that helps people through their problems. It's not one of those one-off shows, her team really works with people. And the best part is it's free!

Posted by Find Joy Life Coach

We all have events in life that temporarily take away our ability to think clearly, find energy we need, or feel satisfaction and joy. I am a life coach devoted to helping you find joy amidst the chaos of life - divorce, parenting challenges, or mid-life blues. Diane@FindJoy.org

Posted by Present Day Minds Coaching

Having an unbiased partner that has the knowledge and commitment to assist you through the transisition phases of your life is invaluable. Using a Life coach to help find balance and purpose, is like using a reliable vehicle to get you to your destination safely and on time. If you are ready to explore the limitless possibilities out there for you, then please contact me for a free 15 minute consultation. Gillian@guidedtohealing.com

Posted by coachtammi

As a personal development coach I take an inside out approach to helping peoples make changes they may be seeking in life. It doesn't matter which area one may be struggling or lacking, the problem lies with none other than numero uno. Your outside world is simply a reflection of your inside world (your thoughts and limiting beliefs about yourself) I help my clients to clearly identify and let go of what's blocking them from living a life of happiness, joy and prosperity! Contact me for your complimentary 30 minute strategy session. www.rymcoaches.com ph:888.453.2081

Posted by Dr. R. Ahmed

I found this article interesting because it addresses a question very commonly asked by most people - "What is the difference between a therapist and a life coach?" I remember when I started out as a life coach, even I chuckled at the phrase 'Life Coach', until I understood what a life coach exactly does. It's true, a therapist focuses on the past, resolves issues, reduces any mental/emotional luggage, and truly believes that the answers to one's problems lies within oneself. A life coach focuses on the future. A life coach focuses more on setting goals and achieving them. Basically, a life coach focuses more on moving forward in life. - Dr. R. Ahmed (www.ultimatelifestrategy.com)

Posted by Coach Michael

Interesting example and like most of them used, it focuses on women. But men too are really benefitting from using coaches and can relate to it in a big way based on the 'sports' connections.

One of the few places that focus on men is thinktankmen.com
cheers.

5 months ago
Posted by Adult Industry Advocate

This article was very clear on explaining the difference between a coach/consultant and a therapist. I explain to my clients all the time that I am not a therapist and thus what they've been through does not mean that's where they'll end up but simply we take the lessons learned and apply them as skills for moving forward. Great article!
-Alisha