The Best Burgers in Chicago

These days, you can get a decent burger pretty much anywhere in Chicago. Where do you go to get a great one? Here, our 30 favorites—upscale, downscale, or just plain messy

Photo: Anna Knott

Our September issue features a story about the 30 best burgers in Chicago. You may notice that some of your favorites are absent from this list. Simply put, a lot of the biggies disappointed. Legends like Boston Blackie’s, Hackney’s, Goldyburgers, Jury’s, and Monk’s still draw crowds, but the real game in 2009 is elsewhere. A newer darling, Rockit, may have kick-started the Kobe Burger Thing at upscale bars, but my burger there was tartare-mushy, the onion roll was a stale dud, and the supersweet date aïoli gave me a toothache. And though I’ll make no friends with this statement, it’s time to call Billy Goat what it is: a charming grease trap with a great history and average burgers.

What’s your favorite burger in Chicago? What is the most overrated? To get your juices flowing, here’s our list of the best, in order of preference. Read the full story, vote for your favorite, and post comments below!

What’s your favorite burger in Chicago?

comments
Posted by Luke

Call me old fashion, but the Billy Goat still serves the best... Now if you want a real meal, on a date, or just want to achieve the "dining experience," almost all 30 listed in the September issue are safe. I don't want to ruin the surprise for those of you that don't subscribe to the hard copy, but I will touch on a few that I've had.
Hot Chocolate made #2.. I've never had the burger, but I've waited (in total) 2 hours for the Mac and Cheese. So if you have spare time, go for it.
Bull and Bear took #12. No surprise there; the burger was good, but you start to feel a little like Charlie Sims when he questioned Lieutenant Colonel frank Slade-"$24 hamburger?? (Sent of a Women)." I can't tell you how many times drinks, appetizers, and little extra magically appear on my (and my friends) checks. If you really want to be "that guy," take your business to Rockit and safe yourself $100 you didn't spend.
Hop Haus took #14... Burgers! That's what they do. Bring $20 and come home satisfied from the generous portions and verity of well-priced drinks.

Overall, good list! I'd add The Counter on Diversey to the list.

Posted by docsammy2

Flub A Dub Chubs has consistently had a great burger. The fact that you went there first suggests you go there again. I think the burger is just as good as Kumas eventhough they do not have the same wide variety( and you do not have to wait a long time). Flub A Dubs is destined to become a hit in Chicago.

Posted by assault

ZOMG! No Portillos?

Hop Haus has damn good burgers and I hear great things about Kumas. One other burger missing is Carson's. They have to be better than five guys.

Posted by JulieRubes

No Hackney's? They've got a pretty good burger.

Posted by CCONN

JUST HAVE GYROS & A SKINE BURGER

Posted by showtheplan

did you try the burger at Rosebud's on east walton??? can't believe that didn't crack the top 30. and paradise pup should be higher. 5 guys is the most overrated place ever for burgers, noting special about that place and nothing we all can't do on our grills at home

Posted by wiser

I don't necessarily disagree, you just missed one. Burger N'Que, but they are kind of new. Check 'em out!

Posted by Jeff Woelker

No Jury's? This is a travesty.

Posted by Erc303

I'm from NYC and have only been to Chicago once. My hotel was right near PJ Clarke's, which is arguably a top 10 in NYC. I'm surprised it didn;t make top 30 in CHI. I didn't go to the PJ's in CHI. maybe someone has some insight?

Posted by Cheryl44

Jury's, the corner of Lincoln and Pensacola.

Posted by Rickey

Are my eyes going or is Charlie Beinlich's not on this list? Or Blackie's?

Posted by Rickey

Jeff -
Are my eyes going or is Charlie Beinlich's (Northbrook) not on the list?
Or Blackie's?

Posted by defiantconviction

my personal favorite is Agostinos, but this list makes me want to try EVERY place now ;)
Despite Kumas being one of the top contenders, I have to say that they're good, but I like their mac & cheese better ;)

Posted by Foodie

I've had Zak's burgers...over the top!! Hey...while you're there, you HAVE to try the Zak's Potatoes...big fat fries to go with your burger!

Posted by km

Jury's!

Posted by JennyP

I think the Tallgrass Beef Burger at Big Jones is secretly one of the best burgers in Chicago.

Posted by JenniferY7

Hamburger Mary's in Andersonville. BEST BURGERS EVER!!!!

Posted by JenniferY7

Jury's is really good, too. I can't believe it's not on the list.

Posted by Foodie

Zak's is better than Jury's! I've had both.

Posted by Foodie

Zak's is better than Jury's & Hamburger Mary's...I've tried all 3.