Seven Things You Need to Know About Illinois’s New Medical Marijuana Law

People with dozens of medical conditions can buy 2.5 ounces every two weeks.

1. No more than 60 licensed dispensaries.

2. 22 cultivation sites, one in each state police district.

3. Dozens of medical conditions eligible (including cancer, MS, and HIV/AIDS), although the Department of Public Health can add ailments as it sees fit. See the full list below.

4. Patients can buy up to 2.5 ounces every two weeks.

5. Purchases by patients will be taxed at 1 percent, the same as pharmaceuticals.

6. Illinois is the 20th state to pass a medical marijuana law. The bill goes into effect January 1, but it could take several months for officials to give dispensaries the go-ahead.

7. Growers and dispensaries will be taxed at 7 percent.

The medical conditions eligible for treatment with medical marijuana, as listed in Illinois House Bill 1:

• cancer
  • glaucoma
  • human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
  • acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)
  • hepatitis C
  • amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • cachexia/wasting syndrome
  • muscular dystrophy
  • severe fibromyalgia
  • spinal cord disease, including but not limited to arachnoiditis, Tarlov cysts, hydromyelia, syringomyelia, Rheumatoid arthritis, fibrous dysplasia, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury and post-concussion syndrome
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Arnold-Chiari malformation and Syringomyelia
  • Spinocerebellar Ataxia (SCA)
  • Parkinson’s
  • Tourette’s
  • Myoclonus
  • Dystonia
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, RSD (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I)
  • Causalgia, CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)
  • Neurofibromatosis
  • Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
  • Sjogren’s syndrome
  • Lupus
  • Interstitial Cystitis
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Hydrocephalus
  • nail-patella syndrome
  • residual limb pain

comments
6 months ago
Posted by Patton36742

Really? Epilepsy isn't included? CBDs are one of the best things to control seizures...

6 months ago
Posted by Who 1

the information that I have says that more diseases/disabilities can be added !!!!!

6 months ago
Posted by essexpee

they should add extrusions protrusion of all cervical and any disc sh@t. im hurting mannnnnnnnnnnnn!! and the variety of strain s should in :clude. top notch daints!!_heck this chicago come on when do I sign up

6 months ago
Posted by Steve B

Schizophrenia and related mental illnesses should be included on this list as well.

6 months ago
Posted by CPCPCP

What about insomnia? It does wonders and does not make you stab people or crap yourself like sleeping pills. Also migraines. As someone who has had doctors give me codeine for them I can assure you marijuana is much better on my brain and how I function than those pills.

6 months ago
Posted by Lupe089

Why aren't things like hypertension, high blood pressure, panic disorders & vertigo included? Medical marijuana would help tremendously.

6 months ago
Posted by Lupe089

Marijuana would even help depression. I want to know who are setting these conditions & laws because obviously they've never had marijuana

5 months ago
Posted by carol ann

stroke survivors should be included we suffer from a large amount of pain but with the drs meds there are side effects and with the medical marijuana there is no side effect just relaxation

5 months ago
Posted by JakeAsa92

How is Cystic Fibrosis not on here? I have troubles eating and struggle w back pain from coughing all the time. A family friend of mine has CF in California & they get it there.

5 months ago
Posted by Aleckollias420zip

Anxiety isn't included seriously? I am a kid that smokes marijuana a lot. I do It when I'm stressed out and depressed and I'm feeling my anxiety happen, it helps me calm down and be relaxed, also it makes me feel less depressed after I smoke last thing for when I'm stressed it makes me think less about what is bothering me and calms me down also it should be a reason why you can get it.

4 months ago
Posted by austmed420

What about ADHD I have had since third grade when I was diagnosed and the meds they put me on (aderal) I could nvr eat and was below average in weight but when I tryed smoking in highschool I quit the meds and use an indica bud and it helps my adhd alot and on top of that ive been average in weight since I started smpking my freshmen yr and have been smokeing twice a day and use it as medication now and I am 20 now of it wasnt for marijuana my body would prolly be messed up from all the meds

4 months ago
Posted by mybdayis420

I would like to say my husband has disc degeneration and 3 bulging disc in his back, he's tried to have surgery to fix the problem but because of prior scar tissue they were not able to fix him, they had him on every kind of pain medicine there is including pain patch to morphine, for over 3 yrs he laid in bed and look as if he was the walking dead, dark circles weight loss no motivation at all...After being on morphine for over 3 yrs a doctor quit prescribing him the morphine because he refused to have anymore shots in his back, he went through horrible withdrawal and no one even gave a damn, to ease his pain he began smoking marijuana and has done so sense. It helped him a great deal the problem is because we live on a fix income it's hard for us to afford it for him, when he doesn't have it to releave the pain he is in bed crying and screaming because of the pain is the way a man should have to live..It's okay to get him addicted to man made medicine and control him like a puppet but they will let him in time use it from mother earth but still want to control everyone like a puppet...What's wrong with this picture? Fat Cats get Fatter....

4 months ago
Posted by dph1964

Where can i make a appointment with a certified doctor in Illinois??i have Cervical/ Spinal stenosis along with Degenerate disk desise...

4 months ago
Posted by BAhutch

Will all medical records be needed by my current doctors? What exactly is the process going to be?

4 months ago
Posted by donnapermanian

I want to sign up

3 months ago
Posted by lauramatt

IT STILL FEELS LIKE A DREAM TO ME, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ALIVE, HEALTHY AND STRONG LIKE NEVER BEFORE. GOD IS REALLY GREAT.

AM LAURA MATTHEW BY NAME, I WAS DIAGNOSED OF BREAST CANCER THREE YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD MY LAST BABY.

MY WORLD CAME CRASHING DOWN WHEN MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT NOTHING COULD BE DONE TO SAVE ME AFTER FIGHTING THIS DEADLY DISEASE WITH CHEMO AND RADIATION FOR TWO GOOD YEARS BUT I REFUSED TO SIT BACK AND WAIT UNTIL THE DAY IT FINALLY DECIDES TO TAKE MY LIFE SO I WENT IN SEARCH OF HELP WHICH I FOUND IN THE HANDS OF DOCTOR GEORGE THROUGH HIS CANNABIS TREATMENT.

I STILL WAKE UP EVERYDAY FEELING LIKE ITS ALL A BIG DREAM BUT ITS REALITY AND I OWE IT TO CONTACTHOSPITAL_EASTERN.GEORGE@YAHOO.COM FOR GIVING ME A SECOND CHANCE TO LIVE AGAIN.

HE GAVE MY LIFE A NEW MEANING AND AM ALIVE NOW ALL BECAUSE OF HIM, SIR GOD WILL CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FOR YOUR GOOD WORK AND WORDS OF TRUTH. THANK YOU SIR.

IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUE OF CANCER DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT HIM WITH THIS EMAIL CONTACTHOSPITAL_EASTERN.GEORGE@YAHOO.COM IF HE CAN SAVE ME THEN WHY CAN'T HE SAVE YOU TOO.