Your Gown, Your Way
When Marshall Field’s on State Street converted to Macy’s in 2006, designer Michelle Gertzman needed a new location to sell her bridal gowns. Nearly three years later, the Chicago native finally opens her first bridal salon, Michelle Rahn (211 N. Green St.; 312-243-1919, michellerahn.com), on April 15th. “It’s not just about making a purchase,” says Gertzman, who works with her clients by appointment only. “I want to make it as easy as possible for the bride. Planning an event is stressful, and I want to take that out completely.” All gowns are made-to-order, and Gertzman encourages brides to ask for custom adjustments to dresses in the Michelle Rahn collection—from incorporating a family emblem to changing a neckline or adding some embroidery. Dresses range from $2,800 to $12,000. Michelle Rahn’s current top-seller is Priscilla, a modified mermaid-fit gown with cap sleeves, a deep V-neck detailed with Austrian crystals on the front and back, and an empire waist ($3,500). The bridal salon also carries hair accessories ($40 and up), and custom order veils ($275 to $800) and jewelry (from $75). Gertzman plans to launch online later this year.
Top Sales This Week
Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its vintage couture and accessories auction with evening gowns, costume jewelry, and more, April 19th at 11 a.m. View items in advance at one of the preview events—April 16th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., April 17th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., or April 18th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 800-472-1885, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) holds its spring flea market with Argentine and European food and drinks, a flower market, and live music in its garden courtyard, April 17th through 19th. Featuring vintage and antique furniture, artwork, lighting and more, the event begins Friday at 8 a.m.; the first 150 guests to arrive will receive a signature market tote. Unsold items will be available in the Rare Finds section of jaysonhomeandgarden.com starting April 25th. Jayson Home & Garden also holds its spring upholstery sale with 20 percent off all custom and in-stock upholstered furniture through May 10th.
The Best of the Rest
- The recently redesigned B (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102, b-chicago.com) holds a re-grand opening celebration with drinks and snacks, April 16th through April 19th from 12 to 5 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Neapolitan (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) holds a Lela Rose trunk store, featuring the 2009 fall line of dresses, skirts, knits, tops, pants, and gowns, April 18th through 22nd, with a special in-store appearance of Lela on April 21st.
- As a way to introduce the spring line of Affliction, the AKIRA men’s store (1910 W. North Ave.; 312-423-6693) holds a Ring of Destruction fashion event with Hennessy cocktails, hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, and other snacks, April 18th from 1 to 7 p.m. The event features appearances from professional fighters Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik, Andrei “The Pit Bull” Arlovski, and Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Attendees get a free gift with any purchase and receive a 20-percent-off coupon to use at shop.akirachicago.com. Those who purchase Affliction merchandise also take home an autograph from one of the celebrity fighters.
- Affinia Chicago (166 E. Superior St.; 312-787-6000, affinia.com) holds a seven-day online sale, offering overnight stays starting at $159, April 16th through 22nd. Use promo code “7DAY” for bookings through September 15, 2009.
- Symmetry (1925 W. Division St.; 773-645-0502, symmetryshowroom.com) offers 20 to 60 percent off everything from furnishings to rugs.
- To raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Helping Hands Forever (helpinghandsforever.com) hosts a Night of Luxury event with cocktails hors d’oeuvres, music, and exclusive deals from Brynn handbags, Aniko Salon & Spa, Chic Gems, Etc., and more, April 17th from 6 to 9 p.m. at Bentley Gold Coast (834 N. Rush St.; 312-280-4848). The first 100 guests receive complimentary gift bags. Tickets are $40 at the door. RSVP to email@example.com by April 15th.
- Riley (1659 N. Damen Ave.; 773-489-0101) hosts an Arbitrage trunk show, April 18th from 12 to 5 p.m. Call 646-784-1430 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to save your spot.
- Celebrating the return of its Temple Beautiful services, Elevenzees (1901 W. Division St.; 773-772-1150, elevenzees.com) offers mini health and wellness services from six practitioners, as well as food, wine, music, April 18th from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Trousseau (3543 N Southport Ave.; 773-472-2727) holds its annual Big Swim sale with complimentary swimwear fittings and a free gift with each purchase, April 16th through 30th. Shoppers who spend more than $500 can get up to $125 off their purchase.
- The Balvenie hosts a men’s scotch sipping and wardrobe fitting at Jake (939 N. Rush St.; 312-664-5553, shopjake.com), April 14th from 6 to 8 p.m. In addition to complimentary single malt scotches, attendees receive free tailoring services and gift bags. RSVP to email@example.com.
- To celebrate Earth Month, SHE Boutique (483 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-926-0150, shopsheboutique.com) holds a She Goes Green promotion, giving guests who spend $200 or more a complimentary eco-friendly tote. In addition, shoppers who return using the tote earn 10 percent off their purchases.
- Lori’s Shoes (824 W. Armitage Ave., 773-281-5655; 27 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville, 630-416-3663; 311 Happ Rd., Northfield, 847-446-3818; 585 Central Ave., Highland Park, 847-681-1532; 5 E. 1st St., Hinsdale, 630-323-2112) gives 25 percent off Hobo International bags when purchased in-store through April 30th.
- Men’s barber-salon Urban Joe (3324 N. Clark St.; 773-529-5637, urbanjoe.com) offers special online incentives through May 15th, such as a $10 off coupon for registering to receive the shop’s e-newsletter.
- The Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) hosts an indoor air quality workshop with free snacks, April 16th from 6 to 7 p.m. Call 312-264-1625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
- This month every Tuesday through Friday, Urban Spa Chic (1401 W. Hubbard St.; 312-492-8050, urbanspachic.com) gives $20 off any 60- or 90-minute massage, 15 percent off any waxing service, and a free eyebrow wax with any facial. The spa also holds its end of the season nail special, offering $10 signature manicures to those who purchase any pumpkin pulp or gingerbread spa pedicure.
- Halo [For Men] (21 W. Elm St., 312-642-4256; 654 W. Diversey Pkwy., 773-248-4256) holds a spring break special with $20 manicures and a complimentary Corona light at your appointment through April 24th. To get the deal, customers must pay at time of booking.
- Lululemon Athletica (900 North Michigan Ave., 312-951-5923; 2104 N. Halsted St., 773.883.8860; 1627 N. Damen Ave., 773-227-1869) launches its e-commerce site April 15th at lululemon.com/shop.
- As part of his Spring Style tour, Tim Gunn of Project Runway visits Kate Spade New York (56 E. Oak St.; 312-654-8853, katespade.com), gives style tips, April 16th from 4 to 6 p.m. Shoppers who spend $100 may have their photo taken with Gunn—first come, first served.
- Jewelry design company Robindira Unsworth (415-939-4998) has launched a new shopping web site for exotic earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings at robindira.com.
Closings and Relocations
- Vintage boutique Yellow Jacket (2959 N. Lincoln Ave.) has closed, but its Wisconsin location (1237 E. Brady St., Milwaukee; 414-372-4744, yellowjacketvintageclothing.com) is still open.