Selling baby furniture, bedding, toiletries, toys, clothing, and more under one roof, giggle (2116 N. Halsted St.; 773-296-6228, giggle.com) recently opened its first Midwest location, providing a new resource for expecting parents in Chicago. “We’re less of a baby store and more of a new-parent store,” says giggle founder and CEO, Ali Wing. With a mission to help urban parents, giggle tries to find products that solve city problems such as walk-up apartment buildings and the hassles of public transportation and bases its product selection on value, ease of use, design innovation, and compactness. Giggle exclusives currently include an organic cotton jingle chicken with finger puppets ($40), a Q Collection Junior handmade wooden crib with adjustable mattress ($1,580), and an orange-and-gray Maclaren “Quest” collapsible stroller ($245). Opened in mid February, Lincoln Park’s giggle marks the company’s tenth location in the United States.
Top Sales This Week
Los Angeles’s largest designer denim sale, The Warehouse Sale (thewarehousesale.com), comes to Chicago, offering up to 80 percent off jeans from more than 20 designer-denim labels, April 10th from 2 to 8 p.m. and April 11th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Lakeview Terrace in Navy Pier (600 E. Grand Ave.; 312-595-PIER). Dresses, shirts, hats, and hoodies are also available. Shoppers who buy four items receive a fifth item free. Admission is free if you RSVP in advance (you must first register to become an “insider” at thewarehousesale.com); $5 without RSVP.
The first-ever Chicago Grand Prix (thechicagograndprix.com) runway show and concert features fashions from Organik Revolution, Sarah Radford of Chic Gems, Funkshion Clothing, and more, April 10th and 11th from 5:30 p.m. to 3 a.m., at the Logan Square Auditorium (2539 N. Kedzie Ave.; 773-252-6179). The event includes a catered reception with accessories, the runway show at 6:30 p.m., a cocktail hour at 7:30 p.m., and musical acts starting at 8:30 p.m. The Chicago Grand Prix also features Oliver Vernon painting live, and attendees who bring an article of clothing receive a free screen-printing from Koko Paulli. Tickets are $58 for a day pass, or $28 for concert only with entry at 8 p.m. Tickets and information at thechicagograndprix.com.
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) encourages women to bring in old articles of clothing for its Shop Your Closet event. Throughout April, boutique employees determine whether shoppers’ clothes are no longer in style and help them find new ways to wear the items. Krista K also offers 25 percent off any one item throughout the event. Meanwhile, at Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477, kristak.com), shoppers get a free weekday photo session and an 8 x 10 print from Shalimar B Photography with any maternity or baby purchase of at least $200, online or in store throughout April.
- Lille a shop (773-342-0563, lilleashop.com), the Wicker Park boutique that is now an online-only store, offers 20 percent off home accessories, furniture, handbags, jewelry, and more through April 15th. Use the code “Bloom” at checkout.
- Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860) kicks off an eight-week spring trunk show series with Lara Miller, April 10th from noon to 6 p.m. The first trunk show also marks the boutique’s two-year anniversary, with additional discounts throughout the store. The series continues every Friday through May 29th featuring designs from Squasht by Les, Stylish Girl by Laila, Feral Childe, Kathy Frey, Kate Boggiano, Audey, and Kathryn Kerrigan, respectively. All trunk shows take place from noon to 6 p.m., and include complimentary wine.
- In honor of Earth Day, Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) features an “Eco-Chic” table of the month designed by Michelle Williams of Michelle Williams Interiors (mwilliamsinteriors.com). Throughout April, Rose Ann Hall glassware will be 10 percent off.
- Spex (2316 N. Clark St.; 773-404-0777; spexchicago.com) holds an ART+ VISION opening reception with works by painter Ligia Himebaugh, drinks, and hors d’oeuvres, April 7th from 4 to 7 p.m. The event also features Danish sunglasses and frames from ProDesign as well as a musical performance from members from the local band Hello Dave.
- Eco-friendly building and home supplies shop Green Home Experts (823 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 708-660-1443, ghexperts.com) holds a spa night with free samples, chair massages, chiropractic consultations, and snacks from the Marion Street Cheese Market, April 8th from 7 to 9 p.m. Space is limited; call 708-660-1443 to reserve a spot.
- Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) holds its Sweetest Sale, during which customers may pick a plastic egg worth up to 50 percent off their purchases through April 11th.
- Lumen nightclub (839 W. Fulton Market St.; 312-733-2222) hosts Love Games fashion show, featuring spring and summer collections from Bonnie & Clyde’s (1751 W. Division St.; 773-235-2680, bonnie-clydes.net) and Christian Siriano, the 2008 winner of Project Runway, April 10th at 10 p.m. RSVP at email@example.com for free admission before 10:30 p.m. After 10:30 p.m., $20. To reserve a table, call Alison at 312-733-2222.
- Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) holds a free natural-health workshop, The Fungus Among Us, teaching guests how to lower their interaction with yeast and fungal organisms through various methods, April 8th from 6 to 7 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-264-1625 to reserve your place.
- Exhale Spa (945 N. State St.; 312-753-6500, exhalespa.com) holds free stress-relief classes with guided meditation, April 13th, 20th and 27th from 6 to 6:30 p.m. Reservations are mandatory; call 312-753-6500 to book a spot. Throughout April, customers who purchase a 30-minute Grow.Restore.Nuture. (G.R.N.) facial for $85 receive a free G.R.N. skincare or body product. The spa also offers 20-minute acupuncture sessions for $20 through April 30th.
- Dance Chicago Center holds a runway training workshop with instructor Ajay Milan teaching basic techniques, backstage etiquette, and more, April 11th from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Inside Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts (1439 W. Wellington Ave., third floor). Must be 17 and up; $20. Pre-register at mynameisrunway.com.
- In support of the American Cancer Society, Martin + Osa (4999 Old Orchard Dr., Skokie; 847-673-0159, martinandosa.com) hold a charity shopping event featuring the television personality Katrina Szish and cocktails, April 7th from 6 to 8 p.m. Attendees receive fashion advice from Szish and 20 percent off their purchases. The first 25 guests each get a $25 gift certificate.
- American Apparel opened a new location at Belmont Central (929 W. Belmont Ave.; 773-472-0500).
- In addition to its one-day sale on April 8th, Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) holds an AK Anne Klein Girls Guide to Entertaining event with snacks, drinks, and modeling of the AK Anne Klein spring collection on the third floor, April 15th from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests get a free AK Anne Klein gift when they spend $100 or more. Call 800-329-8667 by April 13th to reserve a spot.
- As part of its Chicago jewelry designer spring trunk show series, Bloomingdale’s (4963 Old Orchard Center, Skokie; 847-675-5200, bloomingdales.com) features jewelry by Kristin Goede from Objets D’Envy, April 9th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eight Chicago designer trunk shows will take place at various times, alternating between the Old Orchard and North Michigan Avenue Bloomingdale’s locations, through May 22nd. For details on the upcoming trunk shows, call 312-440-4515.
Closings and Relocations
- Shortly after filing for bankruptcy, the Al Baskin Co., owner of the Mark Shale men’s apparel stores, closed its Mark Shale Outlet at 2593 North Elston Avenue. Other Mark Shale locations (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720; 90 Oakbrook Center, 630-571-9440; 1240 Northbrook Ct., 847-272-3860; markshale.com) are open.
- Although the Ukrainian Village home-accessories shop Willow (908 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-0140) closed its storefront, the business will continue to sell goods online at shopwillow.net.
- The online boutique Language has been acquired by The Violet Hour (shoptheviolethour.com), an online shopping site. The business offers first-time customers 20 percent off their initial purchase when they enter “WELCOME20” at checkout.
- Formally located in Wicker Park, Strange Beauty Show (773-252-9522, strangebeautyshow.com) upgraded to a bigger space at 1118 North Ashland Avenue last week. The salon offers 10 percent off Kevin Murphy products and $10 off services for first-time clients throughout April.
2 weeks ago