Mineral makeup boutique in Naperville
Follow us on Twitter! The newly created twitter.com/salescheck features updates on latest and greatest shopping sales and events in the Chicago area seven days a week.
Made in the Shade
During her time as a fashion consultant and manager of various cosmetic counters, Heather Hanson, a Northwest suburbanite, stumbled into the field of mineral makeup more than a decade ago. Back then, the product was just breaking into the market and gave Hanson the idea to make a high-quality cosmetics line that was affordable. Hanson contacted a local chemist and spent the next few years creating her own product. “I did a ridiculous amount of research and found out what I needed and what I didn’t need,” she says. Upon perfecting the formula, Hanson launched About Face Cosmetics (630-369-5770; theshespace.com) in 2006. Starting exclusively as a Hinsdale-based online shop with about 200 shades of eye shadow, the company opened its first physical location in Westmont in late 2007; this past June, About Face opened in a new, bigger space at 404 West Fifth Avenue in Naperville. Now carrying a colorful range of more than 400 eye shadows, the boutique continues to manufacture all products on site. Five grams of eye shadow cost $7, and two grams of pressed (or traditional) pigment eye shadow cost $9. The new location offers a Custom Pigment Bar, where shoppers pick their choice of velvet color and type of diamond sparkle, iridescent twinkle, or pearl iridescent to create their own shade ($8 for 5 grams). No matter the combination, the process is quick. “We tweak it, mix it, blend it, and make it exactly what you want it to be,” Hanson says. “You get your makeup before you leave. You stand right next to me as I create it.” Customers also are invited to bring handbags, shoes, clothes, or any only items to the pigment bar for shade duplication. Aside from eye shadows, About Face also carries custom blended foundation ($18 for 20 grams), mineral makeup brushes ($7 to $24), mineral lipsticks ($12), and lip glosses ($10).
Top Sales This Week
Beta Boutique (2016 W. Concord Pl.; 773-276-0905, betaboutique.com) holds its eighth Stacked Rack Sample and Overstock sale Saturday, August 15th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday, August 16th from 12 to 5 p.m. The event, which takes place in a temporary sale space at 651 West Diversey Parkway, offers 40 to 90 percent off thousands of designer pieces for men and women. Beta Boutique will be closed Thursday, August 13th through Sunday, August 16th for the event.
At its biggest sale of the year, Nika le Butik (143 N. Northwest Hwy., Park Ridge; 847-696-1700, nikabutik.com) features up to 75 percent off all merchandise as well as an outdoor lounge with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres Saturday, August 15th from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Guests receive a free gift with purchase and may enter to win a $300 shopping spree.
The Best of the Rest
- Silken Tent (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240, thesilkentent.com) holds its second annual “spa-cation Sunday” event this month. Receive an additional 10 percent off an already discounted 75-minute-or-longer massage, facial, or body therapy that is booked on Sundays through August 30th.
- Enjoy free haircuts, drinks, and food at the grand opening of the new Urban Joe (1925 W. Division St.; 773-529-5637, urbanjoe.com) Wednesday, August 12th from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Threadless (threadless.com) discounts all T-shirts through Monday, August 17th.
- Use code “final” at online checkout to receive 50 percent off the entire signature collection at Chic Gems (888-801-8265; chicgemsetc.com). The collection will no longer be available after Monday, August 17th.
- Pauline Morgan (312-404-4780; paulinemorgan.com) takes 20 percent off its entire online jewelry collection through Monday, August 31st.
- United Feather & Down (414 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines; 847-296-6610, ufandd.com) holds an in-store back-to-school bedding sale with up to 70 percent off selected down and down alternative bedding, pillows, comforters, feather beds, blankets, mattress pads, specialty bedding, and more through Wednesday, September 30th.
- Take an additional 20 percent off sale merchandise at Ciao Bella (3829 N. Southport Ave.; 773-388-2201, ciaobellachicago.com) through Saturday, August 15th.
- Vive la femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com), a local boutique for plus-size women, hosts a Kingley & Posh (kingleyandposh.com) trunk show Tuesday, August 11th from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Visit Robin Richman (2108 N. Damen Ave.; 773-278-6150, robinrichman.com) to receive a passport worth 10 percent off any full-priced fall/winter merchandise from international designers. After purchasing an item from each country, shoppers receive a $50 gift certificate.
- For its ten-year anniversary, 1154 Lill Studio (904 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-477-5455, 1154lill.com), a custom handbag company, offers a range of specials throughout August. Shoppers receive 10 percent off all merchandise; those who host or attend an in-store, at-home, or in-office handbag party receive 20 percent off purchases. Customers may also enter the “Love My LILL” contest for a chance to win a $150 gift certificate. Visit 1154lill.com for details.
- Marbles: The Brain Store (773-784-7991; marblesthebrainstore.com) celebrates its new location at 4745 North Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Square with a grand opening party on Wednesday, August 12th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Having collected votes for the past month and a half, SHE Boutique (483 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-926-0150, shopsheboutique.com) hosts its first “The Real Housewives of Highland Park” event with wine and new fall fashions on Saturday, August 15th from 6 to 9 p.m. The five housewives with the most votes will be announced and each receive a $200 SHE gift certificates, makeover, and in-store photo shoot; all other attendees receive $50 gift cards for purchases that night.
- Sign up to win a $1,000 gift card from Serpico (1514 N. Ashland Ave.; 773-252-5940, serpico-collection.com) through Monday, August 31st. No purchase is required, but shoppers receive an additional entry with every purchase. The drawing takes place Tuesday, September 1st.
- Ulta on State Street (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com) hosts “Discover Exuviance by Neostrata and Begin the Transformation” on Friday, August 14th. Guests receive a complimentary facial peel as well as a free gift with any $25 Exuviance or Cover Blend purchase.
- Christofle (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-664-9700, christofle.com) offers Champagne, chocolates, and 25 to 75 percent off selected silver jewelry, tableware, and home décor during its summer sale through Saturday, September 12th. Also during the event, buy eight identical place settings and get two of the same pattern free.
Posted in Sales Check