Former Photographer Opens Lincoln Park Flower Shop
After stints in other industries, including fashion photography, Nancy Krause opened Nancy Krause Floral Design & Garden Antiques (1101 W. Webster Ave.; 773-248-1516, nkfloraldesign.com) earlier this month. In the 1990s, Krause shifted her focus from photography to flowers when she opened two floral boutiques in downtown Chicago. She closed the shops to take a job in the restaurant industry but stayed connected to the floral business by creating arrangements for private events in the North Shore and Gold Coast. Krause’s new Lincoln Park shop offers arrangements made from fresh roses, orchids, and other varieties selected from local flower markets. “My designs are always very full and big,” she says. “A lot is happening visually, but they’re peaceful at the same time.” Arrangements range from $35 to $400 on average, but Krause asks customers upfront for their preferred price point. The shop also carries unique items including plastic collapsible vases from Chive ($7), iron furniture, such as a 35-year-old white iron table ($300), and greeting cards from Tokyo Milk ($5).
Top Sales This Week
Enjoy discounts on men’s and women’s apparel and accessories from RLX, James Perse, and other designers at The Shop @ Equinox (equinox.com for Chicago locations) through Monday, September 5.
Kooky (835 N. Michigan Ave., 4th floor; 312-867-7240, kookykidstuff.com) hosts a trunk show and sale with fall styles from Little H Designs (littlehdesigns.com), BonnBonn Baby (bonnbonnbaby.com), and other local children’s designers on Friday, September 2 and Saturday, September 3. Guests receive 10 to 15 percent off all locally designed and produced clothing, as well as up to 60 percent off other select goods.
The Best of the Rest
- Forty women from the Chicago area model fall fashions from Mark Shale (markshale.com), Karen Millen (karenmillen.com), and other designers at the Fall Fashion Fix—Real Women, Real Chicago fashion show on Thursday, September 1 at the Drake Hotel (140 E. Walton Pl.; 312-787-2200, thedrakehotel.com). A VIP cocktail reception takes place from 6 to 7 p.m. in Palm Court, and the fashion show begins at 7:15 p.m. in the Gold Coast Room. Tickets, available at drakeinfashion.eventbrite.com, are $50 for VIP status or $25 for general seating.
- Find end-of-summer spa savings at the Dana Hotel and Spa (660 N. State St.; 312-202-6040, danahotelandspa.com/spa) weekdays from Thursday, September 1 through Friday, September 9. Deals include a complimentary classic manicure with the purchase of a hot stone pedicure ($75), as well as a complimentary brow wax and shaping with the purchase of a Brazilian wax ($65) or leg wax ($70).
- Chicago Chocolate Tours (chicagochocolatetours.com) hosts its annual Chocolate + Fashion Tour with a Champagne and cupcake reception at Adele Dallas Orr (520 N. Michigan Ave., Level 3; 312-755-0011, adeledallasorr.com) on Friday, September 2 at 5:30 p.m. The event includes a guided tour through chocolate shops, bakeries, and boutiques. Tickets, $50, are available at chicagochocolatetours.com/buy.
- Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com) holds the opening reception for Secret Sideshow: New Work by Laura Berger with snacks and other treats on Friday, September 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Berger’s artwork will be on display at the boutique through Friday, September 30.
- Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora; 630-585-2200, premiumoutlets.com/chicago) celebrates Labor Day weekend—Friday, September 2 through Monday, September 5—with discounts at select stores, including 25 to 50 percent off select merchandise at Lacoste, as well as an extra 25 percent off sale items at Theory. Visit premiumoutlets.com/chicago for a list of participating stores.
- Spend at least $100 on fall merchandise at Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) through Sunday, September 4 and receive a complimentary Coobie bra. Enter coupon code “freecoobie” during online checkout on the boutique’s website for the same promotion.
- The Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern (500 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 450; 312-276-1212, rabyintegrativemedicine.com) offers free meditation sessions from 12 to 1 p.m. starting Tuesday, September 6. Classes are held on the first and third Tuesday of every month through the end of the year.
- One year after opening in Bucktown, Dress Up boutique (1937 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-7780, dressup-boutique.com) introduces a second location, at Oakbrook Center (100 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook; 630-472-3320, oakbrookcenter.com).
Posted in Sales Check