Photo: Courtesy Souchi
Knitwear designer Suzi Johnson—known for her luxe cashmere sweaters and cozy cardigans—has chosen Chicago for her second boutique. Souchi (1205 W. Webster Ave., 773-687-9638, souchi.com) opened last weekend in Lincoln Park, in the space that formerly housed the baby boutique Hadley.
At Souchi, you’ll find the namesake collection of cashmere cowlneck sweaters ($778), slouchy merino wool berets ($138), and organic cotton crewnecks ($170). Johnson also hand-picks fellow designers’ products to round out the store, including blouses and blazers by Giada Forte, leather belts by Johnny Farah, and bronze jewelry by local designer Winifred Grace.
Johnson founded her line in 1997, when a boutique owner stopped her on the street to ask who made her sweater (it was one of Johnson’s own designs) and purchased 10 on the spot. Six months later, Souchi was sold in stores nationwide and being spotted on shows like Friends, Melrose Place, and Beverly Hills, 90210. Sixteen years later, the line is still going strong with celebrities like Kim Kardashian, January Jones, and Kathryn Heigl donning the collection.
Top Sales This Week
The seasonal sample sale Clever Alice (17 E. Pearson St., cleveralice.com) returns Wednesday with goods from more than 40 designers marked up to 75 percent off. Find a mix of well-known and under-the-radar labels such as Anna Hovet, J Park, Knitted Dove, 81 Poppies, and Friends with Benefits at the five-day sale, which wraps up on Sunday.
Edith Hart (1917 N. Damen Ave., 773-252-3350, edithhart.com) holds a “Blow Out Sale” from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, offering 20 percent off its entire inventory (including an additional 20 percent off of already reduced summer sale items). From 2 to 4 p.m., stylists from Pascal Studio (pascal-studio.com) will be on hand offering complimentary hair blowouts for shoppers. If you can’t make it to the store, shop online with the promo code AUGUSTSALE.
The Best of the Rest
- Ravenswood Remix—the indie art fest celebrating all things reused and recycled—has moved to Logan Square and changed its name to Remix Chicago (remixchicago.com). Find the festival on Milwaukee Avenue between Fullerton and California Avenues Saturday and Sunday from noon to 10 p.m. both days.
- On Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m., The Art Institute of Chicago (111 S Michigan Ave., 312-443-3600, artic.edu) hosts “Dressed to the Nines: Flowers in Your Hair,” a special evening viewing of the Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity exhibit celebrating the fashion trends of 19th-century Paris. Tickets are $25 ($15 for members) and there will be a cash bar.
- On Thursday, ROOF on theWit (201 N. State St., 312-239-9502, roofonthewit.com/runway) and The Shops at North Bridge co-host a runway show featuring looks from Nordstrom, Swarovski, United Colors of Benetton, and others. The show begins at 8 p.m. and admission is free.
- HGTV Home sets up a pop-up showroom on Saturday at The Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave., theshopsatnorthbridge.com). Swing by to shop rugs, lighting, bedding, and more; check out an appearance by Meg Caswell (HGTV’s Design Star) from 1 to 4 p.m.; and enter for a chance to win a cool $5,000.
- Head to men’s and women’s boutique Sir & Madame (938 N. Damen Ave., 773-489-6660, sirandmadame.com) tomorrow from 6 to 9 p.m. for shopping, music (celebrating Kansas City-based musician Miles Bonny’s Chicago debut), and complimentary craft cocktails.
- Shop the entire Lilla P (lillap.com) collection at women’s boutique Perchance (11 E. Walton St., 773-244-1300, perchanceboutique.com) during a one-week trunk show running through Saturday. Lilla P’s modern designs are known for clean lines, subtle detail, and impeccable fit.
4 days ago