Rock Your Look
Combining her lifelong love for premium denim, fashion, and music, the Chicago native Mallory Ulaszek launched her first business, Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com), earlier this fall. “It’s a rock and roll, and music and art inspired denim boutique,” says Andrea Plecko, the shop’s marketing, public relations, and sales representative. Ranging in price from $62 to $250, Cityblue’s denim collection—which includes Genetic, Citizens of Humanity, William Rast, 7 for All Mankind, and other brands—is designed to fit all budgets, for men and women. The boutique features a Polaroid for each jean type, along with its name, manufacturer, and a description of the fit, rise, and wash. “We want it to be a lot easier for people to find what they’re looking for,” Plecko says. “[The photos and explanations] help them narrow down [the selection] so it’s more user-friendly.” Cityblue also carries apparel and accessories that revolve around the shop’s rock and roll theme. You’ll find Just A Cheap Shirt button downs for men (from $42); Splendid tops, sweaters, and wraps for women (from $46); and Junk Food T-shirts for both sexes ($32). Also, Cityblue is the only boutique in the state to carry rings, bracelets, earrings, and belt buckles from Virgins Saints & Angels, including a cross pendant necklace with jet-black crystals ($187). Other accessories include hand-dyed Brightly Twisted scarves in a variety of colors ($88) and jewelry from the local artist Deborah McClain, such as a dark silver vintage necklace with brass charm ($145). Cityblue is currently offering 25 to 75 percent off selected men and women’s apparel, and shoppers who bring in gently used items for the Salvation Army receive additional discounts: Donate a winter coat to receive 15 percent off any new coat or jacket, or donate two pairs of jeans to receive 15 percent off a new pair. Other contributions, like hats, gloves, and scarves, are also welcome.
Top Sales This Week
Erin Gallagher (2043 N. Halsted St.; 312-492-7548, eringallagher.com) holds its annual Wish List Party, during which guests may compile and send a list of wanted presents to family and friends, on Tuesday, December 8th. Shoppers get 20 percent off event purchases, and free appetizers and drinks. Throughout the month, Erin Gallagher employees bring pre-ordered and gift wrapped presents to your car via “drive-by shopping.”
K. Amato’s (k-amato.com) holiday sale features 30 percent off regular-price pieces and $5 to $30 clearance items on Wednesday, December 9th from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Omni Hotel (676 N. Michigan Ave.), and Thursday, December 10th from 4 to 9 p.m. at K. Amato (1229 W. Diversey Pkwy). Each day, the first 20 shoppers receive a free holiday gift.
Neapolitan (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) holds Irene Neuwirth and Christian Siriano trunk shows Wednesday, December 9th and Thursday, December 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Neuwirth stops by the boutique Wednesday; Siriano visits Thursday.
The Best of the Rest
- The open house and studio sale at WomanCraft (4115 W. Ogden Ave.; 773-521-3414, womencraft.net) on Friday, December 11th and Saturday, December 12th features handmade stationery, picture frames, jewelry, and more.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) feature “Holiday Wish List” shopping. Friends and family members who purchase something from a loved one’s list receive 20 percent off.
- Enjoy appetizers, wine, and live music at Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) on Wednesday, December 9th from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Fifteen percent of proceeds go to Chicago Fair Trade (chicagofairtrade.org).
- Wolfbait & B-Girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) holds a Squasht by Les trunk show with hats, clothes, headbands, handbags, and mimosas on Saturday, December 12th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Also, through Thursday, December 24th, mention “mistletoe” at checkout to receive 20 percent off one non-sale item, except fine art.
- Take 20 percent off any custom-made item throughout December at Wow & Zen (1912 N. Damen Ave.; 773-269-2600, wowandzen.com).
- The James Hotel (55 E. Ontario St.; 312-337-1000, jameshotel.com) hosts a jules (shopjules.com) trunk show, featuring jewelry from Chicago-based designer Julie Schwanbeck, on Monday, December 14th from 6 to 9 p.m. Bloomingdale’s Old Orchard (4963 Old Orchard Center, Skokie; 847-675-5200) also hosts a jules trunk show on Saturday, December 12th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Find work from 33 vendors at the Handmade Market (handmadechicago.com) holiday market at the Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.) on Saturday, December 12th from 12 to 4 p.m.
- The first annual MidCoast Fashion Show, showcasing styles from the East and West coasts, takes place at Lumen (839 W. Fulton Market St.) on Thursday, December 10th at 10 p.m. Suggested donation is $20; proceeds go to the Autism Speaks Foundation. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Buy a pair of wool gloves from Ootra (900 N. Michigan Ave., 5th floor; 312-852-7500, ootra.com) this month and a second pair will be donated to charity.
- Aniko Salon & Spa (1109 S. Wabash Ave.; 312-431-1573, anikosalonspa.com), in collaboration with Chic Gems (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com), hosts a shopping event on Tuesday, December 8th; Monday, December 14th; and Friday, December 18th from 1 to 7 p.m.; and Saturday, December 19th from 9 to 6 p.m. Spend $100 on Chic Gems and receive a $10 Aniko Salon & Spa gift card.
- Take 20 percent off selected holiday gifts and furniture at The Design Shoppe (2009 N. Fremont St.; 773-883-6004, designshoppechicago.com) on Thursday, December 10th from 5 to 9 p.m. Complimentary drinks and hors d’oeuvres will be provided.
- Now through Wednesday, December 23rd, Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) offers “Wish List” shopping. Women fill out forms that include specific details on dresses they want; the list is sent out to friends. Men who purchase items on their significant other’s list receive coupons worth $20 at Halo [For Men] (for locations, halochicago.com) and $50 at Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (for locations, customsuitsyou.com).
- Buy one silk tie or pocket square at Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St.; 654 W. Diversey Pkwy.; 70 W. Madison St.; 1351 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-895-1577, customsuitsyou.com) and get one free through Tuesday, December 15th.
- Art Effect (934 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-929-3600, shoparteffect.com) offers online shopping incentives through Thursday, December 24th. Spend $75 online and get free shipping. Spend $150 online and pick up your order from the shop to receive a $20 gift card that’s valid through January 31st, 2010.
- Meet designer Michelle Rahn over Champagne and treats at Michelle Rahn (211 N. Green St.; 312-243-1919, michellerahn.com) on Wednesday, December 16th and Thursday, December 17th, by appointment only. Call 312-243-1919 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP by Monday, December 14th.
- E Street Denim Company (1876 First St., Highland Park; 847-433-8338, estreetdenim.com) hosts Winnetka native and the designer of Johnnie O clothing, John O’Donnell, on Saturday, December 12th.
- Holly Mordini, vice president of Smashbox Cosmetics, presents new products and gives makeup tips on Thursday, December 10th from 5 to 7 p.m. at ULTA on State Street (114 South State St.; 312-279-5081, ulta.com). Appointments recommended.
- Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) holds its post-war and contemporary art auction with more than 300 lots of prints, paintings, and more on Sunday, December 13th at noon. Previews take place Wednesday, December 9th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday, December 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday, December 11th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, December 12th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.