The Budget Queen
Fashionistas looking for chic clothing, shoes, and accessories for less should visit Glen Ellyn’s newest and smallest boutique, The Queens’ Closet (480a N. Main St., Glen Ellyn; 630-545-0240, thequeensclosetonline.com). “Think Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale’s coming together, making whoopee, and having a baby with a Target type price,” says the owner, Michael Perich. His 120-square-feet shop offers casual and dressy items for misses and juniors. Searching for new merchandise online every night, Perich updates his boutique’s selection weekly. Right now, you’ll find purple and black suede peep toes ($29.99); zebra nubuck peep toes ($39.99); wool, cotton, and polyester-blend blazers ($39.99 to $49.99); secretary skirts from France ($59.99), and Murano glass rings ($19.99). “If someone came in here with $500, she would walk out the door with about seven to ten outfits,” Perich says. “You don’t have to spend a fortune to look adorable.” In addition to low prices, The Queens’ Closet runs a frequent-shopper program in which customers earn one point for every dollar spent, eventually exchanging accumulated points for store credit. Perich opened The Queens’ Closet early last December and hopes to provide an even wider selection of merchandise through its Web site this spring.
Top Sales This Week
Jayson Home & Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 800-472-1885, jaysonhomeandgarden.com) holds its first warehouse sale with 50 to 90 percent off designer and vintage furniture, accessories, lighting, garden pots, and more; free delivery with all purchases. Feb. 20th through 22nd at the warehouse (1740 W. Webster St.; 773-248-8180).
The full-figured women’s boutique Vive La Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com) holds its Curves & Cocktails shopping party, featuring signature styles inspired by the early 1960s—pencil skirts, ruffle blouses, and lace-topped dresses—in sizes 12 to 24, Feb. 18th from 6 to 9 p.m. The event includes free makeovers, and hairdos, cocktails, and snacks. RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247, bessandloie.com) holds its annual Margarita Madness event, where shoppers receive up to 20 percent off purses and free tequila cocktails, Feb. 19th from 5 to 9 p.m.
- The Lincoln Park accessories boutique Aberle (1101 W. Webster Ave.; 773-477-1101) hosts a Lisa Kingsley Handbags (lisakingsleyhandbags.com) trunk show featuring the Chicago designer’s new line of purses and clutches, Feb. 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. The event, including free wine and snacks, also showcases Kingsley’s wallets and cuffs.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) hold a denim swap event through Feb. 28th. Customers who bring in any old, wearable jeans from either boutique receive 20 percent off new styles of jeans for each donated pair. Donations go to the Cotter Boys and Girls Club.
- Children’s furniture store The Land of Nod (900 W. North Ave.; 312-475-9903, landofnod.com) holds a baby registry event, offering giveaways, product demonstrations, gift registry lessons, and refreshments, Feb. 22nd from 9 to 11 a.m. Guests may enter to win more than $3,000 worth of prizes. RSVP to 312-475-9903.
- Hot Mama (2670 Navy Blvd., Glenview, 847-486-1060; 20530 N. Rand Rd., Deer Park, 847-438-8310; 1608 Sherman Ave., Evanston, 847-905-0236; shopmama.com) holds its semi-annual clearance sale with up to 75 percent off winter and spring merchandise, including jeans, dresses, sweaters, and more, through Feb. 22nd.
- The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422, leftbankjewelry.com) in Lincoln Park hosts a Haute Bride Trunk Show, featuring couture jewelry and hair gems, free chocolate, and a Champagne bar, Feb. 20th through 22nd.
- Chic Gems Etc. (312-602-2561, chicgemsetc.com) holds an online jewelry trunk show with 10 percent off any purchase through Feb. 28th. Twenty percent of sales go to the Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation (caase.org). To receive discount, enter code “caase” at checkout.
- Select Chicagoland Mario Tricoci (800-874-2624, tricoci.com) locations hold Red Carpet events this week, offering make-up consultations, along with samples of Red Carpet facials and the Kinara skincare line. Events will be held in Oak Brook (284 Oak Brook Center, Oak Brook) Feb. 18th and 19th from 1 to 7 p.m. and Feb. 20th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; in Bloomingdale (64 Stratford Dr., Bloomingdale) Feb. 20th from 4 to 9 p.m.; at the Hawthorn Center (305 Hawthorn Center, Vernon Hills) Feb. 19th and 20th from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; in Arlington Heights (999 W. Dundee Rd., Arlington Heights) Feb. 20th from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; in Geneva (749 S. Randall Rd., Geneva) Feb. 18th from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Feb. 19th from 4 to 7 p.m., and Feb. 20th from 5 to 8 p.m.; and in Schaumburg (675 Mall Dr., Schaumburg) Feb. 18th and 19th from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Bellini Baby & Teen Furniture (1800 N. Clybourn Ave.; 312-981-6301, bellini.com) continues its President’s Day celebration with 20 percent off Bellini furniture through Feb. 28th.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) hosts an Adele Wechsler trunk show featuring her exclusive Eco Couture collection of alternative wedding gowns Feb. 20th from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Feb. 21st from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Feb. 22nd from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. To schedule a recommended appointment, call 312-781-3545.
1 week ago