Family of Fashion
In 1922, Margaret Baxter Foster opened The Lake Forest Shop (265 Market Square, Lake Forest; 847-234-0548, thelakeforestshop.com) to provide women with pants, skirts, tops, and other pieces to mix and match—a cutting edge concept at the time. This month, the boutique, now run by Foster’s granddaughter, Ellen Stirling, celebrates 90 years with its first-ever Spring Fashion Week, Tuesday, February 7 through Saturday, February 11. “As we continue to carry clothes that work for the women of today, Spring Fashion Week will be a preview of the best of the best from various designers and lifestyles,” says Stirling, whose fashion-forward family members also include uncle Condé Montrose Nast, founder of Condé Nast Publications, and aunt Nancy Talbot, cofounder of Talbots. Throughout the week, The Lake Forest Shop will showcase the latest pieces from seven up-and-coming or established designers, including jackets and accessories in signature plaids and solids ($80 to $500) from Aquascutum (aquascutum.com); day and cocktail dresses in bright pink, orange, and green ($300 to $600) from Douglas Hannant Pink (douglashannant.com); and knit leggings, cardigans, and tunics in blue and brown ($80 to $400) from Jarbo (jarbocollection.com). Spring Fashion Week also features a small, in-store presentation on Thursday, February 9 from 12 to 2 p.m.
Top Sales This Week
Cityblue Apparel & Denim (1444 N. Wells St.; 312-664-2222, citybluedenim.com) hosts a Valentine’s Day trunk show for couples on Thursday, February 9 from 5 to 8 p.m. Couples receive up to 85 percent off select items from Joie (joie.com), Scott James (scottjamesonline.com), and Jules (shopjules.com) as well as a chance to win a table and bottle of Champagne at Suite Lounge (1446 N. Wells St.).
Wolfbait & B-girls (3131 W. Logan Blvd.; 312-698-8685, wolfbaitchicago.com) holds a Broad Street jewelry (etsy.com/shop/BroadStreet) trunk show and designer appearance on Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12. The boutique also offers 20 percent off all apparel through Wednesday, February 29.
The Best of the Rest
- My Best Friend’s Closet (1780 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park; 847-681-0002, mybestfriendsclosethp.com) celebrates two years with a party on Thursday, February 9 from 4 to 8 p.m. The event includes a book signing by fitness expert Shea Vaughn, founder and author of SheaNetics; food and drinks; and raffles and special promotions. Twenty percent off all event proceeds go toward the Bottomless Closet (bottomlesscloset.org).
- Explore a new selection of home furniture and vintage accessories, including props and furniture from the recently cancelled TV show The Playboy Club, at Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221, revisionchicago.com) on Friday, February 10 and Saturday, February 11. A preview party takes place on Thursday, February 9 at 5:30 p.m.
- Handmade Market (handmadechicago.com) features jewelry, purses, clothing, and more from 31 crafters on Saturday, February 11 at the Empty Bottle (1035 N. Western Ave.; 773-276-3600).
- The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com), a pop-up flea market, returns with more than a dozen new, up-and-coming vendors, including Pink Grapefruit Style (etsy.com/shop/pinkgrapefruitstyle) and Opendoorstudio (etsy.com/shop/opendoorstudio), on Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12 at the DANK Haus (4740 N. Western Ave.). Tickets are $5 at the door.
- Pick a candy heart at Le Dress (1741 West Division St.; 773-697-9855, ledresschicago.com) on Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12, and receive 10 to 30 percent off any one item.
- Dose Market (dosemarket.com), a monthly food and fashion bazaar, kicks off its 2012 season on Sunday, February 12 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the River East Art Center (435 E. Illinois St.; 312-321-1001, rivereastartcenter.com). Explore Laura Lombardi’s (lauratlombardi.com) new spring jewelry line and the latest floral bouquets from Sprout Home (sprouthome.com). For men, find straight razor shaves from Angry Barber as well as vintage clothing and accessories from Vintage Smith. Tickets are $8 in advance at dosemarket.com/tickets, or $10 at the door.
Closings and Relocations
After three years, Anastasia Chatzka (1259 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 586-610-4096, anastasiachatzka.com) will close its doors on Wednesday, February 29 to focus on its wholesale and online businesses. Save 50 percent on all garments through the end of the month.
4 days ago