New Kids in Old Town
Newcomer Uri (1445 N. Wells St.; 312-475-9002) carries a selection of casual designer wear from old favorites such as Alvin Valley (look for the label’s chocolate brown trouser short for $150), along with brands that are hard to find elsewhere in the city. These include Ardistia, a New York brand, which makes items such as a beautiful wide collared, cropped jacket with a pleated edge and puff sleeves ($424) and a skirt suit with a wool gabardine jacket adorned with decorative metal buttons. Dressier options, such as a rouched black dress from designer Heike Jarick ($330), are found alongside casual wear, such as a sweat pant with a three-button detail on the bottom cuff ($100) and a pale yellow hoodie tank with a front pocket ($80), both from Juma. Brown Label jeans ($180) and a belted trench from Mackage ($550) round out the selection. The store also carries Gusto handbags and a nylon satchel from Hugo with leather lining ($300).
One Yellow Shoe (1543 N. Wells St.; 312-337-7551), tucked into a lower level space on Wells Street, carries adorable casual shoes that are actually affordable. We spotted a few pairs of sandals for as low as $24, and loved the store’s nice selection of summery ballet flats for under $100. A pair of metallic, strappy flats from Me Too was $64. The satiny handmade clutches from Sassy Saks ($44) are also worth a look. The shop will have at least one category of shoe discounted at all times through the end of August.Top Sales This Week
The Thread bridesmaid line helped popularize the notion of bridesmaid dresses that are wearable after the event, and its designers have now branched out with a ready-to-wear line, Thread Social. The line includes jumpers, cocktail dresses, and updated 1960s mini-dresses, all with an emphasis on wearing the clothes during the day and at night. One of the co-designers, Melissa Akey, comes to Jake this week where she will consult with women who want to customize pieces from Thread Social’s holiday and resort collections by choosing from limited stock fabrics. Akey visits the Gold Coast store (939 N. Rush St.; 312-664-5553) on July 12th from 6:30 to 9 p.m., and the North Shore store (565 N. Lincoln Ave., Winnetka; 847-501-5253) on July 13th. Call 312-664-5253 to make an appointment.
The modern home-furnishings store Chiasso (400 S. Jefferson St.; 773-244-4100) hosts its semi-annual warehouse sale from July 13th through 15th, offering 25 to 75 percent off overstock, returns, samples, and slightly bruised pieces from furniture to home accents. The sale runs Friday from noon to 7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- The popular Last Call sale at Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave., 312-642-5900; Northbrook Court, 847-564-0300; Oakbrook Center, 630-572-1500) starts Friday, July 13th, and lasts through the 18th. Look for discounts up to 65 percent off summer styles of merchandise such as shoes, dresses, suits, and designer handbags.
- All you need is a shoe jones and a spare nickel. City Soles/Niche at its 2001 West North Avenue location (773-489-2001) hosts its midnight madness sale on July 13th from 11 a.m. to midnight-buy one sale item, get the second for a nickel.
- Take 20 to 60 percent off in-stock jewelry at Ellie Thompson + Co. (8 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 2203; 312-263-2264) from July 16th through 20th. The sale applies to jewelry in 18K gold, platinum, diamonds, gemstones, and sterling silver. Sale items include a multicolor sapphire ring marked down from $3,000 to $1,800 and a white gold and sapphire bracelet marked down from $2,640 to $1,980. The sale runs July 16th, 17th, 18th, and 20th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and July 19th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Preview the collection at ellieco.com.
- The summer sale at Jane Hamill (1117 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-665-1102) is going on now, with spring and summer clothing discounted up to 50 percent off, and jewelry and accessories discounted up to 30 percent off.
- Vive la France at this weekend’s Bastille Day sales. The Left Bank (1155 W. Webster Ave.; 773-929-7422) celebrates with storewide discounts on July 14th. Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-9350) partners with Lush Wine and Spirits for an event on July 13th from 6 to 10 p.m. Spend $100 or more at the boutique to receive a $10 gift certificate at Lush.
- Hinsdale merchants team up for a sidewalk sale on July 13th and 14th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The sale runs between Garfield and Washington streets, and Chicago Avenue and First Street. Stores are offering up to 70 percent off already reduced items. Call 630-323-3952 for more information.
- Take 20 to 60 percent off select merchandise throughout July at Plein Aire (2036 W. Division St.; 773-227-3772), on brands like Poleci, Madison Marcus, and Plenty.
- The Mark Shale (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-0720; Oakbrook Center, 630-571-9440; Northbrook Court, 847-272-3860) summer sale starts July 12th, with men’s and women’s spring and summer merchandise marked down up to 60 percent off.
- Kreative Soul (3744 N. Broadway; 773-975-8199) celebrates its one-year anniversary on July 14th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. with complimentary refreshments, discounts from 20 to 50 percent off, and an opportunity to meet jewelry designers like Pilar Audain-Reed, who owns the boutique.
- The annual sidewalk sale in Roscoe Village runs July 14th and 15th from noon to 6 p.m. along Roscoe Street and Belmont Avenue, with refreshments, bargains, and events at the area’s boutiques.
- The summer sale continues at Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860), with savings from 15 to 40 percent off. (Find a jacket from Cino marked down from $262 to $199.97, and an Ulla Johnson blouse marked down from $198 to $159.97.) The shop is now open on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Keno Optical (29 E. Madison Ave., 8th floor; 312-782-4208) hosts a prodesign Eyewear Trunk show on July 10th from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., featuring its new “click on, click off” collection with interchangeable fronts to customize frames.
- The John Frieda Frizz-Ease “Beat the Heat” tour comes to Oak Street Beach on July 14th and 15th, offering free hair consultations, samples, complimentary towels and flip flops, and some good looking cabana boys staffing the umbrella service.
- Lift the girls up where they belong. Community Chiropractic (3210 N. Southport Ave.; 773-528-8485) offers a free bra-fitting clinic on July 14th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with complimentary fittings, refreshments, and gift bags. Call for reservations.
17 hours ago