Starting from Scratch
When Kim Sledgister purchased the environmentally friendly shop Little Green Baby (4654 N. Rockwell St.; 773-505-2066, mylittlegreenbaby.com) from Kim Gayeski in March, she decided to make it her own. Planning to give the Lincoln Square boutique more of a “socially conscious” feel, Sledgister—a real estate agent by trade—shut it down for a month and gave it a full-blown makeover. “The toys, the logo, the store design, the set up, the furniture—everything has changed, except two clothing lines,” says Sledgister, who decorated the boutique with furniture from the Salvation Army. And even though Little Green Baby still carries Daily Tea Collection and Under the Nile garments, the consumer focus has shifted to the newer offerings. Find organic, robot-themed T-shirts and onesies for girls and boys ($18) from California-based company Bot Tots; tops featuring the “L” ($30) from I Dream of Johnny; and personalized, embroidered shirts and dresses ($45) by Sweet Ideas in Lake View. Designed for any budget, Little Green Baby carries everything from hair bows (from $5), books (from $6) and games (from $8) to non-toxic shoes by Little Shoes (from $30), and sterling silver teething necklaces from Momma’s Jewels ($219).
Top Sales This Week
The 4th annual Chicago Sidewalk Sale features clothing and accessories from more than 30 local designers and independent boutiques on Tuesday, July 20th, and Wednesday, July 21st, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington St.). Designers include Lee Allison (leeallison.com), Kristin Hassan (kristinhassan.com), and Dana Reed (danareeddesigns.com). Runway shows, featuring summer trends, will take place both days at 12 p.m.
Take up to 70 percent off clothing, jewelry, accessories, and gifts at Tribeca Boutique (1035 W. Madison St.; 312-492-9373, shopattribeca.com), The Fig Tree (1037 W. Madison St.; 312-226-6303, thefigtreechicago.com) and 2 Sisters Boutique (1167 W. Madison St.; 312-226-6677, shop2sisters.com), and more at the West Loop Sidewalk Sale on Saturday, July 24th and Sunday, July 25th.
The Best of the Rest
- Sofia (72 E. Oak St.; 312-640-0878, sofiavintage.com) and The Underground (56 W. Illinois St.) hold a joint summer event on Thursday, July 22nd. Take 20 percent off everything at Sofia from 8 to 10 p.m. After shopping, guests are invited to board a complimentary trolley with cocktails for a free ride to The Underground. The trolley runs from 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; must be 21 and up.
- Enjoy 15 to 50 percent off everything at Habit (1951 W. Division St.; 773-342-0093, habitchicago.com) through Saturday, July 31st.
- Filene’s Basement (1 N. State St.; 312-553-1055, filenesbasement.com) holds its annual Running of the Brides event Friday, July 23rd from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Find more than 1,700 wedding gowns, from size 2 to 26, starting at $249. All sales final.
- Ellie Thompson + Co. (8 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 2203; 312-263-2264, ellieco.com) holds its “Secret Sale” with 15 to 60 percent off in-stock jewelry collections Monday, July 26th, through Friday, July 30th.
- Located on the 1350 block of West Randolph Street, between Ada Street and Ogden Avenue, Randolph Street Market Festival (312-666-1200, chicagoantiquemarket.com) returns on Saturday, July 24th, and Sunday, July 25th, with home décor, fashion, antiques, and jewelry from more than 200 vendors. Tickets—$12 at the gate or $9 online at chicagoantiquemarket.com—are good for both days.
- Kathryn Kerrigan (741 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville; 847-557-5067, kathrynkerrigan.com), a shoe boutique for shoppers with big feet, celebrates the grand opening of its new location at 2031 N. Damen Avenue (773-235-7150) with light refreshments, Thursday, July 22nd, through Sunday, July 25th. Guests have the opportunity to meet designer Kathryn Kerrigan and the location’s owner, Stephanie Sack, who also runs the plus-size women’s boutique Vive la Femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773.772.7429, vivelafemme.com) down the block.
- Along Central Avenue between Green Bay and Sheridan roads, the Downtown Highland Park Sidewalk Sale features up to 60 percent off clothing, shoes, jewelry, and home décor, Thursday, July 22nd, through Saturday, July 24th, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visit ehighlandpark.com for more information.
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-4477) hold their semi-annual Shop Around the Clock Sale on Saturday, July 24th. Already reduced items will be an extra 50 percent off from 8 to 9 a.m., with discounts decreasing every hour. After noon, everything else in the store, including new spring arrivals, will be an extra 20 percent off. As a bonus, take 20 percent off all regular-price merchandise throughout the day. All sales final.
- Find the first Frankie’s on the Park (2322 N. Clark St.; 773-248-0400, frankiesonthepark.com) pop-up shop at Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave., 7th floor) through August 31st. Also, spend at least $100 at any store in Water Tower Place from Friday, July 23rd, to Sunday, July 25th, and get free parking in the mall’s parking garage. Visit shopwatertower.com or call 312-440-3166 for more information.
- Anjénu (1747 W Division St.; 773-469-2212, anjenu.com) holds its Christmas in July sale with 60 percent off all holiday merchandise this month.
2 weeks ago