A Milan Icon Comes to Town
Piazza Sempione (34 E. Oak St.; 312-280-1129, piazzasempione.com) recently opened on the Gold Coast, bringing more cachet to Oak Street’s prestigious shopping strip. Located in the former Sugar Magnolia space, the new boutique marks the Milan-based brand’s third stand-alone location in the United States. “We have a very loyal following in Chicago,” says Oriana VanSomeren, the shop’s general manager. “It just made sense to come here.” Popular in the 1990s for its pants line and known for well-made daytime basics, Piazza Sempione has been available to locals in limited styles at high-end department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, and Saks Fifth Avenue for nearly two decades. And while certain items will continue to sell at these stores, the Piazza Sempione boutique gives Chicagoans access to the brand’s entire collection of tops, skirts, dresses, jackets, accessories, and shoes. “The clothes are classic pieces that go from season to season,” VanSomeren says. The spring collection, currently 30 percent off, features an emerald green python-print handbag with leather beading and jewels ($1,332.50), a sleeveless coral dress with front detail ($1,000), and Audrey seersucker capris ($495). Piazza Sempione also has some of its pre-Fall collection in stock, including a black cropped puffer jacket with three-quarter length sleeves ($1,395) and the cotton stretch “Audrey” pant in chocolate brown, navy, and black ($365 each).
Top Sales This Week
The Armitage Halsted Webster Merchants Association (the shops in Lincoln Park along Armitage and Webster avenues and Halsted Street) hosts the 8th annual Tasteful Art on the Avenues with discounts and promotions from more than 25 boutiques and shops in Lincoln Park on Friday, June 19th from 6 to 9 p.m. Wristbands, $10, are available at all participating boutiques the night of the event, but Dog-a-holics (904 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-857-5787, dog-a-holics.com), Mint Julep (1013 W. Armitage Ave.; 773- 296-2997), and Tabula Tua (1015 West Armitage Ave.; 773-525-3500, tabulatua.com) sell them in advance for $7. Guests who make any purchase during the event are entered to win $1,000 in merchandise and gift certificates from local businesses. All proceeds go to Children’s Memorial Hospital.
Kate Boggiano (2150 S. Canalport Ave, Suite #3A3; 773-474-7987, kateboggiano.com) holds its first open house, Pretty in Pilsen, with complimentary wine and appetizers on Thursday, June 18th from 5 to 9 p.m. Guests receive 10 percent off Kate Boggiano clothing and 15 percent off Objets d’Envy jewelry (objetsdenvy.com). The first 25 guests also get a free gift; those who spend $100 or more get a free tank top. RSVP to email@example.com by Tuesday, June 16th.
In collaboration with LinkedIn (linkedin.com), Halo [For Men] (21 W. Elm St.; 312-642-4256) and Nicholas Joseph Custom Tailors (21 W. Elm St., inside Halo [For Men]; 312-895-1577, nicholas-joseph.com) hold their first-ever “Freshen Up Your Father” contest. Submit a photo and 300-word essay about a standout dad to customsuitsyou.com/fathersday by Friday, June 19th and he could win a professional makeover package. The grand prize includes a measurement session and custom-made, three-piece suit from Nicholas Joseph; a haircut, shave, manicure, pedicure, and massage from Halo [For Men]; and a resumé revamp, interview coaching sessions, and personal-site profile management from LinkedIn. The winning dad will be notified on Saturday, June 20th. Visit customsuitsyou.com/fathersday for more information.
The Best of the Rest
- In honor of World Environment Day, which was June 5th, Prettycity.com holds its first Green and Gorgeous campaign. Throughout the month, more than 60 Chicagoland spas and salons offer discounted services, starting at $39, to all clients. Visit prettycity.com/green for a list of participating businesses.
- Fashion Focus Chicago holds the second session of its Fashion Café Series, the city’s first fashion series, on Thursday, June 18th from 5 to 8 p.m., at the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph St.; 312-346-3278). Hosted by Michael and Bianca Alexander of consciouslivingtv.com, this month’s participants include Lara Miller (773-296-4442, laramiller.net), Mountains of the Moon (877-875-0689, mountainsofthemoon.com), Pivot (312-243-4754, pivotboutique.com), and others.
- Simone’s Boutique (1060 Gage Street, Winnetka; 847-446-9966, simonesboutique.com) holds its summer fever sale with 40 to 50 percent off high-end designer fashions throughout June.
- Save up to 40 percent off spring and summer styles at Lori’s Shoes (824 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-281-5655, lorisshoes.com).
- Through June 20th, receive a 10 percent discount at Sweet Petal (537 S. Dearborn St.; 312-939-6544, sweetpetalchicago.com) with proof of purchase from Florodora (330 S. Dearborn St.; 312-212-8860, florodora.com), and receive a 10 percent discount from Florodora with proof of purchase from Sweet Petal.
- As a way to help benefit the Chicago Canine Rescue, Randoons (962 ½ Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-784-1890, randoons.com) holds a Furry Friends fundraiser Saturday, June 20th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those who purchase $1 raffle tickets have the chance to win a gift basket. The store will donate 20 percent of dog-related sales, 10 percent of all other sales, and raffle proceeds to Chicago Canine Rescue.
- Hästens Beds (430 N. Wells St., 312-527-5337; 976 N. Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-441-5337, passionforbeds.com) celebrates 30 years with its first-ever sale on special edition Continental and Excel beds in blue check. The luxury mattress-and-bedding shop also offers 25 percent off pillows, robes, pajamas, and all other accessories through June 30th.
- At the corner of Belmont and Damen avenues, the Belmont Music & Arts Festival (773-327-5123, bamfest.biz) features more than 60 arts and craft vendors, music, food, and more Saturday, June 20th and Sunday, June 21st from 12 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $5 before 5 p.m., and $7 after.
- Erin Gallagher (1017 W. Lake St.; 312-492-7548, eringallagher.com) takes 25 percent off all jewelry through June 22nd. To receive discount online, enter code ‘BridalBling’ at checkout.
- The Norwood Park Historical Society (773-631-4633, norwoodparkhistoricalsociety.org) features children’s toys, books, records, vintage collectibles, and more at its 23rd annual giant yard sale and auction Saturday, June 20th, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Noble-Seymour-Crippen House (5624 N. Newark Ave.).
- Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) welcomes shoppers and their pets to its first-ever “Pets in Paris” event, featuring handmade doggy dresses, June 20th through 27th. Fifty percent of proceeds from doggy-dress sales and a 10 percent of proceeds from the Le Dress private label dress sales go to PAWS Chicago.
- As part of its Table of the Month series, Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) displays a tabletop arrangement by the interior designer Leslie Jones of Leslie Jones and Associates, Inc. Throughout June, the Mariposa glassware featured on the table will be 10 percent off.
- Plein Aire (2036 W. Division St.; 773-227-3772) holds its Night of Beauty event with complimentary Champagne and up to 20 percent off all summer styles Wednesday, June 17th from 6 to 8 p.m. The event also features Chicago plastic surgeon Peter Geldner who will offer up to 40 percent off Botox and filler services.
- In celebration of the Crosstown Classic baseball series, Urban Joe (3324 N. Clark St.; 773-529-5637) offers $15 haircuts from June 17th through June 19th and June 26th through June 28th. The Benefit Brow Bar at Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312- 440-4460, bloomingdales.com) celebrates its one-year anniversary with refreshments, music, and makeup lessons on Thursday, June 18th from 5 to 8 p.m. Guests who purchase any brow service receive a complimentary lash application, and those who spend $65 or more receive a free gift. Call 312-440-4233 to reserve your spot. That same day, Bloomingdale’s also hosts a YSL La Nuit de L’Homme men’s fragrance launch with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres from 6 to 8 p.m., on the second floor. Call 312-440-4515 to reserve your spot.
2 weeks ago