Meditate On This
As if there were any shortage of yoga pants in Lake View: On Friday, June 8, a new Lululemon Athletica (3556 N. Southport Ave.; 773-327-4403, lululemon.com) opens its doors in the neighborhood. The store, which stocks yoga gear and other active wear, is situated at the corner of Southport and Addison—just down the street from Gap Inc.’s recently opened Athleta. Lululemon’s new spot has inventory, including the label’s signature Groove Pants ($98), similar to the brand’s four other Chicago locations. But its look differs slightly, with a Wrigleyville theme to honor the ‘hood’s nickname. There aren’t any opening-day discounts to speak of, but Nina Gardner, a Lululemon rep, tells us to expect a party: The store celebrates all weekend with music, food, and yoga demonstrations.
Top Sales This Week
While Sofia (72 E. Oak St.; 312-640-0878, sofialivelovely.com) finalizes its upcoming relocation to a currently undisclosed address, the women’s boutique holds a moving sale through Sunday, June 24. Stock on the store’s lower level is marked 50 percent off, including brands such as Halston Heritage, Twenty8Twelve, Myne, Stylestalker, Nicholas K, and Thayer.
More than 25 designers (Friends with Benefits, Lara Miller, and Nombre, to name a few) discount samples from their summer collections by as much as 75 percent at a pop-up shop hosted by Clever Alice (cleveralice.com). Held in a loft space at 409 West Huron Street, the five-day sale kicks off Wednesday, June 6 from 5 to 8 p.m., continues Thursday, June 7 through Saturday, June 9 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and wraps up Sunday, June 10 from 12 to 4 p.m.
The Best of the Rest
- The Vintage Bazaar (thevintagebazaar.com) settles into a new HQ this weekend at Aragon Ballroom (1106 W. Lawrence Ave.). The indoor/outdoor, one-day-a-month vintage shopping extravaganza features more than 150 purveyors of décor, clothing, furniture, and more Sunday, June 10 from 12 to 5 p.m.
- The Old Town Art Fair (Lincoln Ave. at Wisconsin St.; oldtowntriangle.com) brings the work of 260 artists to the city this Saturday, June 9 and Sunday, June 10. If wearable art is more your thing: Pop into the local boutique Handle with Care (1706 N. Wells St.; 312-751-2929, handlewithcareboutique.com) during the fair for 10 percent off full-priced merchandise and 50 percent or more off sale items by brands including Rebecca Taylor, Shoshanna, and DVF.
- Get a sneak peek of budding fashion designers’ work during Fashion Columbia (colum.edu/fashioncolumbia), a runway show featuring looks by fashion students from Columbia College. Tickets are $75 to $250 for the show, which starts at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, June 8 in the school’s Media Production Center (1600 S. State St.).
- Shop the vintage dealer Alex Hosler’s collection of handbags, jewelry, and apparel during a trunk show Saturday, June 9 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Hazel (1902 W. Montrose Ave.; 773-769-2227, hazelchicago.com).
- The upscale children’s and maternity clothing resale boutique The Second Child (954 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-883-0880, 2ndchild.com) is in the midst of spring markdowns, including 20 to 40 percent off brands such as Oilily, Ralph Lauren, and Citizens of Humanity.
Openings, Closings, and Relocations
CARGO for Boys (479 Central Ave.; 847-748-8161, cargo4boys.com) a new store just for little guys, recently opened in downtown Highland Park. Parents browse the store’s selection of Wes & Willy apparel in sizes for infants through preteens. Boys busy themselves with in-store video games. Genius.
Shop the moving sale for the mother-daughter owned Comfort Me Boutique (651 W. Armitage Ave.; 312-255-1412, comfortmeboutique.com) before it reopens in a new space down the block. From June 8 through June 14, get up to 75 percent off select apparel and 20 percent off all furniture, artwork, and garden accessories. Starting June 17, stop by the new location at 701 West Armitage Avenue.
After closing its brick-and-mortar store in 2011, the Chicago-based eco-friendly retailer Grasshopper 510 (grasshopper510.com) also plans to shut down its online boutique. Use the code byebye510 for as much as 40 percent off vintage jewelry, scarves, organic beauty products, and more while supplies last.
2 weeks ago