Annual Fashion Show Centers on Chicago Communities
Explore the latest local designs from ten up-and-coming fashion students during the Chicago Fashion Foundation’s fifth annual Future of Chicago scholarship competition on Wednesday, March 7, at the Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington St.). This year’s event features street styles inspired by specific locations, such as Andersonville and Chinatown, as well as more abstract concepts, such as the influence of the El and urban decay. “I can honestly say that this is the best selection of garments we’ve seen in the five years,” says Amanda Domaleczny, president of the Chicago Fashion Foundation and creator of the event. Hosted by Corri McFadden of eDrop-Off (shopedropoff.com), Future of Chicago kicks off with a cocktail reception at 6 p.m., followed by the student design competition at 7 p.m. A panel of Chicago fashionista judges—including Chicago Tribune social columnist Candace Jordan, former Project Runway contestant Peach Carr, and Akira owner Erikka Wang—will determine the winner of the $5,000 design scholarship and the two runners up (who will receive $1,000 and $500 respectively). After the student show, Peach Carr and former Future of Chicago finalists Vanessa Lambert and LaTonya Williams will reveal their latest looks for 2012. General admission tickets ($35) are available at the door or in advance at chicagofashionfoundation.org.
Top Sales This Week
Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) takes 20 percent off all upholstered furniture, including custom orders, through Sunday, April 1.
In preparation for Bright Pink’s FabFest next month, Equinox Loop (200 W. Monroe St.; 312-252-3100, equinox.com) hosts a fitness sampler event with two preview FabFest classes, light refreshments, and wine on Wednesday, March 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Best of the Rest
- Brides, Bubbles, and Bliss (312-988-9900, bridesbubblesandbliss.com) features the latest selection of food, décor, and gowns from more than 20 wedding and bridal vendors on Wednesday, March 7 at the Bridgeport Art Center Skyline Loft (1200 W. 35th St.). Tickets (from $27.50) are available at bridesbubblesandbliss.com.
- Designers Wes Gordon (wesgordon.com) and Jolie Altman (joliealtman.com) stop by Neapolitan Collection (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) on Thursday, March 8 to showcase their latest creations. The new collections will be available in the boutique through Saturday, March 10.
- Spend at least $10 at the Greenheart Shop (1911 W. Division St.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) on International Women's Day, Thursday, March 8, and receive a complimentary cupcake from The Giving Treats (thegivingtreats.tumblr.com). For each $10 purchase, a cupcake will also be donated to A Safe Haven Foundation (asafehaven.org).
- Cynthia Rowley (1653 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9209; 810 W. Armitage Ave., 773-528-6160; cynthiarowley.com) takes 30 percent off all Resort 2012 pieces Friday, March 9 through Sunday, March 11.
- Maison De LaCour (2150 S. Canalport Ave.; 312-379-9464, maisondelacour.com) holds a sale with 60 to 80 percent off samples from spring 2012 and previous collections on Saturday, March 10 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Also up for grabs? Complimentary mimosas and light appetizers.
- Sofia (72 E. Oak St.; 312-640-0878, sofiavintage.com) welcomes Amanda Thomas, designer of Luv AJ (luvaj.com), on Saturday, March 10. Enjoy personal jewelry styling from Thomas all day long, or stop by the in-store party from 5 to 7 p.m., for cocktails, giveaways, and more.
- Mr. & Mrs. Digz (5668 N. Clark St.; 773-447-8527, mrandmrsdigz.com), an Andersonville boutique with locally produced and vintage designer goods, offers 50 percent off all Mr. & Mrs. Digz tags on Saturday, March 10 and Sunday, March 11.
- The Hinsdale Wedding Resource hosts its eighth annual wedding walk (hinsdalebride.com) in Downtown Hinsdale on Sunday, March 11 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Starting at Char Crews (8 Grant Square, Hinsdale; 630-920-0190, charcrews.com), guests are invited to explore goods and services from participating vendors for a chance to win a honeymoon trip to Riviera Maya. The first 100 brides to arrive will receive a swag bag filled with goodies, and all registered attendees will have the opportunity to win raffle prizes throughout the event. Tickets are $25 per bride; to register or to view the list of participating vendors, visit hinsdalebride.com.
- Unison Studio + Store (2000 W. Fulton St.; 877-492-7960, unisonhome.com), a modern home décor and accessories brand, is now open to the public every Friday from 12 to 6 p.m. Within the 1100 square feet space, find bedding for adults, kids, and babies as well as pillows, table linens, and home accessories.
- Save 50 to 80 percent on sample, overstock, and discontinued handbag and accessory styles at 1154 LILL Studio Warehouse (1511 W. 38th St.; 773-292-6310, 1154lill.com) on Saturday, March 10 from 8 to 11 a.m.
Posted in Sales Check