Prepping for Prom
For the first time ever, Westfield Old Orchard (westfield.com/oldorchard) joins forces with the Glass Slipper Project (glassslipperproject.org), a nonprofit that gives away prom dresses and accessories to local high school students to help them celebrate in style. Now through Saturday, March 24, donate new or gently used prom dresses, accessories, and beauty products at the shopping center’s Concierge Center and receive $10 Westfield gift card. Other special offers include 25 percent off regular-priced merchandise at Gap and free hand, face, and foot treatments at Lush. “Sometimes you wear a dress one time, and you never want to be seen in it again,” says Shannon Ridgeway, a marketing director at Westfield Old Orchard and Glass Slipper Project volunteer. “Instead of just having it sit in your closet, you can donate it and help make another girl’s dream come true.” (Westfield Hawthorn is also partnering with the Glass Slipper; visit westfield.com/hawthorn for more details.) On top of collecting donations, Westfield Old Orchard hosts a pre-prom party on March 24 from 12 to 4 p.m. Located between Helzberg Diamonds and Ann Taylor, the event includes mini makeovers from Sephora and Lush, a photo area, hourly gift-card giveaways, and a candy station. At 2 p.m., Lord & Taylor showcases this year’s hottest prom fashions: bright colors, drapes, embellishments, sequins, metallic, and high-low hemlines.
Want to look like an A-lister on prom night? Learn how to get dolled up for any special occasion with help from Ashunta Sheriff, a national makeup artist for Dior Beauty and creator of NR, No Rules Beauty makeup line. Sheriff, whose clients include Alicia Keys, Ciara, Rosario Dawson, and Usher, is stopping by Macy’s Water Tower Place Wednesday, March 21 through Friday, March 23, to share Dior Spring beauty tips and secrets. Call 312-335-7634 to RSVP.
Top Sales This Week
Although temps are expected to dip this weekend, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that the weather will hold for the Randolph Street Market (randolphstreetmarket.com) this Saturday, March 24 and Sunday, March 25 at Beaux Arts Plumbers Hall (1340 W. Washington St.). Now in its ninth season, the European-style indoor antique fair continues to ramp up its selection of art, antiques, fashion, and furniture from the best of the best around the country. This month’s most-coveted items include breathtaking eighteenth and early nineteenth century antique tin ceilings from The Pastkeepers (thepastkeepers.com), as well as attention-grabbing Edwardian and Victorian jewelry from Estate Chicago (etsy.com/shop/estatechicago). Tickets are $8 in advance at randolphstreetmarket.com or $10 at the door.
The jewelry store Eve J. Alfillé Gallery & Studio (623 Grove St., Evanston; 847-869-7920, evejewelry.com) partners with neighboring businesses to host an Afternoon of Glamour on Saturday, March 24 from 12 to 5 p.m. After exploring the studio’s extraordinary Pearl Room, receive couture clothing styling from cotemporary women’s boutique gigi Bottega (gigibottega.com), hair styling from Salon Lotus (salonlotus808.com), and mini makeovers and jewelry styling from Eve J. Alfille employees. Before heading home, nab a glamour shot with Matt Arden, the gallery’s resident photographer. Call 847-869-7920 to reserve your spot.
The NCAA might have kicked off its basketball tourney last week, but that’s not the only madness going on this month. Eight Division Street boutiques—including le Dress (ledresschicago.com), Bonnie & Clyde’s (bonnieandclydes.com), Trillium (trilliumchicago.com), Kiz (kizchicago.com), M.Go (mgofashion.com), Mulberry & Me (mulberryandme.com), Penelope’s (shoppenelopes.com), and Frill (frillaccessories.com)—come together for Wicker Park’s third annual March Madness sale on Saturday, March 24 and Sunday, March 25. Walk along Division for unique discounts such as $10 earrings at Frill, chambray shirt dresses for $88 (originally $168) at Penelope’s, and $35 spring frocks at le Dress.
The Best of the Rest
- Vive la femme (2048 N. Damen Ave.; 773-772-7429, vivelafemme.com), a boutique dedicated to plus-size women, celebrates 10 years with 20 percent off its new selection of spring dresses on Thursday, March 22 from 6 to 9 p.m. Also enjoy 20 percent off spring sandals at vive la femme’s sister store, violette (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-7150).
- Men’s lifestyle boutique Haberdash (607 N. State St.; 312-624-8551, haberdashmen.com) features discounts on custom suiting from L.B.M. 1911 by Lubiam, an award-winning Italian clothing label, on Thursday, March 22 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Take 20 percent off all regularly priced merchandise, and receive a free gift with any $250 purchase at BCBGMAXAZRIA (for locations, bcbg.com) Thursday, March 22 through Sunday, March 25.
- Find up to 90 percent off shoes from Chie Mihara, Corso Como, Cydwoq, and more at House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909, houseofsole.net). After five years in the South Loop, the designer footwear and accessories boutique plans to shutter this spring.
- Sawbridge Studios in Winnetka (897 Green Bay Rd.; 1015 Tower Ct.; 847-441-2441, sawbridge.com) offers up to 60 percent off American, handcrafted furniture, accessories, and lighting during its annual floor sample sale until supplies run out.