Chicago natives Teonna Ingram and Bree Lara understand how difficult it can be to stay fashionable without spending lots of money on designer clothing. Earlier this month, the pair opened BADC (3221 N. Sheffield Ave.; 773-904-8735, shopbadc.com), a designer dress–leasing boutique in Lake View. BADC, which stands for Borrow a Dress Couture, carries a range of seasonal designer dresses in sizes 0 to 18 and maternity clothing that women can rent for three days at a time. “We try to get as many dresses as possible without having too much of one style, because we want to have a broad range for all sizes of women,” says Ingram, who attends fashion shows with Lara in Italy, New York, and Chicago. “We try to get the most fashionable, the most now ‘in’ dresses that will cater to everyone.” Find an Alexander McQueen light lavender tulle overlay dress with purple and pink petals in a size 4 ($400 to lease, $3,000 to buy); a black, white, and gold silk dress with a chiffon overlay by Mac Duggal of Cassandra Stone in a size 14 ($124 to lease, $498 to buy); a Dolce & Gabbana gold metallic lace dress with black straps in a size 6 ($139 to lease, $556 to buy); and a Vera Wang silver brocade ruffle neck cocktail dress in a size 8 ($87 to lease, $346 to buy). Already leasing designer clutch purses, BADC will carry fall coats and jackets toward the end of summer.
Top Sales This Week
In honor of its one-year anniversary, le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) holds a “City of Lights” runway show on May 29th at the Vertigo Sky Lounge in the Dana Hotel & Spa (660 N. State St.; 888-301-3262, danahotelandspa.com). The event starts at 9 p.m., with $5 SKYY vodka cocktails until the show at 10 p.m. Attendees receive VIP cards worth 30 percent off all purchases through June 2009 and are automatically entered to win one of ten dresses at the event. RSVP required to email@example.com by May 27th. Also, stop at the boutique May 29th through 31st to receive a complimentary gift with any in-store purchase.
SoKo Fashion (1925 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-592-1089, sokofashion.com) and Chicago Avenue Salon (1941 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-421-0336, chicagoavenuesalon.com) host a free live music fashion show, “Fashion Rocks,” on May 31st at Darkroom (2210 W. Chicago Ave.; 773-276-1411, darkroombar.com). Doors open at 8 p.m., and the show begins at 10 p.m. Guests receive door prizes and 25 percent services at Chicago Avenue Salon when they present the “Fashion Rocks” flyer from June 1st through 15th.
Along Division Street from Ashland Avenue to Leavitt Street, the annual Do-Division Street Fest and Sidewalk Sale (312-850-9390, do-divisionstreetfest.com) features food, drinks, music, and discounts from participating boutiques on May 30th and 31st.
The Best of the Rest
- Dana Rebecca Designs (312-701-1773, danarebeccadesigns.com) holds a two-year anniversary online promotion through June 18th. Those who sign up to receive newsletters at danarebeccadesigns.com are automatically entered to win a pair of designer Dana Levy’s Julianne Himiko star earrings in turquoise. One winner will be randomly selected on June 19th.
- Eco-fashion boutique Pivot (1101 W. Fulton Market; 312-243-4754, pivotboutique.com) offers 30 percent off all clothing from Chicago designers, including Lara Miller, Elise Bergman, Frei Designs and more, through May 31st.
- Veruca Salt (1921 N. Damen Ave., 773-276-9888; 520 N. Kingsbury St., 773-276-3888; shopverucasalt.com) holds its first ever walk-off at Griffin Lounge (326 W. Chicago Ave.; 312-475-0724) on May 29th. All volunteer models—e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register—receive hair styling and makeovers. The winning model receives a $200 gift certificate to the boutique as well as a three-hour personal shopping session with ShopWalk (773-255-7866, chicagoshopwalk.com).
- Teachers receive 20 percent off their purchases at Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle Dr.; 312-264-1625, greenheartshop.org) on May 30th. From 3 to 5 p.m., they can also receive a free reiki treatment and massage therapy.
- Epoch Floral (1700 W. Hubbard St.; 312-226-2968, epochfloral.com) holds an open house with flowers, hors d’oeuvres, and cocktails, May 28th from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- To raise money for Autism Speaks (autismspeaks.org), Fabulosity Avec Amour (fabulosityavecamour.com), a non-profit fashion charity organization, hosts “Couture for Autism” May 31st at the Matteson Holiday Inn Hotel (500 Holiday Plaza Dr., Matteson; 708-747-3500). The event, $35 per ticket, features music, cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and live entertainment from 4 to 6 p.m., and a fashion show from 6 to 7 p.m. Doors open at 3:30 p.m. Buy tickets at fabulosityavecamour.com.
- Macy’s (111 N. State St.; 312-781-1000, macys.com) holds a Summer of Love shopping party with music, refreshments, tie-dye T-shirt airbrushing, karaoke, and more, on the fourth floor May 28th at 5:30 p.m.
- Bloomingdale’s (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-440-4460; 4963 Old Orchard Ctr., Skokie, 847-568-6524; bloomingdales.com) holds A Shoe To-Do event with complimentary makeup consultations and applications from Yves Saint Laurent Beauté, May 28th in the women’s shoe department. Spend $200 to $299 to receive $50 off, $300 to $399 to receive $100, or more than $500 to receive $150 off. All shoppers also get a complimentary Yves Saint Laurent Beauté travel size Luxurious Mascara with any shoe purchase.
Closings and Relocations
Before closing on June 5th, Saffron (2064 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-7753, saffronchicago.com) offers up to 75 percent off all merchandise.
2 weeks ago