Sofia So Good
After years of working in Los Angeles, Chicago native Ashley Zisook returned home to discover that she was unsatisfied with the city’s vintage shops. So, the veteran vintage sample sale organizer rented out an office space and, within three weeks, opened Sofia Vintage Boutique (1165 N. Clark St., Ste. 400; 312-640-0878). The new Gold Coast shop is named after the Academy Award-winning Italian actress Sophia Loren, who Zisook believes is the “true meaning of class and grace.” The shop carries men and women’s clothing and accessories from the 1920s through 1980s. Co-owning the shop with her sister, Allison Zisook Goldstein, Zisook personally selects every item from resale shops all over the country and will sometimes alter items; for example, she cut at least six inches off the sleeves on 1970s boho brown, pink, and tan print summer dress ($70). “Depending on the item, I’ll add or change things to funk it up and make it different,” she says. Unaltered items from the ’70s include a red short-sleeve romper ($60), an original Gucci print tie ($100), and an Issey Miyake tuxedo ($1,200). On the casual side, find lightweight bomber jackets in maroon, tan, brown, and black ($48 to $70) and an array of vintage T-shirts ($10 to $42). Accessorize with a tan elastic belt with crest buckle ($25), gold chain necklaces ($10 to $60), or handmade flower hairpins ($8 to $10). Sofia Vintage is open every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and by appointment. But Zisook is happy to accommodate a drop-in: “I’m here all the time,” she says. “Just call; I’ll buzz you up.”
Top Sales This Week
Style Chicago (stylechicago.com) co-hosts the Hugo Boss sample sale preview shopping event, featuring up to 80 percent off more than 11,000 items for men and women, on June 3rd from 6 to 9 p.m., at EnVent (344 N. Ogden Ave.; 847-812-2028, enventchicago.com). Tickets, $25, must be purchased in advance; call 800-838-3006 or visit stylechicago.com. The first 250 guests to RSVP receive a complimentary goodie bag worth more than $250. The Hugo Boss sample sale is open to the public June 4th and 5th from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., June 6th from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and June 7th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. All sample sale purchases are final.
Artists Frame Service’s flagship shop (1867 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-2800, artistsframeservice.com) holds its first Sunday Frame Outlet sidewalk sale with up to 80 percent off all outlet frames on display. Shoppers who buy three photo frames, get one free. Doors open at 10 a.m. Sunday Frame Outlet sales will be held the first Sunday of every month.
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) and Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477, kristak.com) each hold a multi-designer dress trunk shows, with 20 percent off dresses from Laila Azhar, Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent, Butter by Nadia, Olian, Maternal America, Momzee, and more, June 6th through 14th. Krista K also hosts a jewelry trunk show, featuring designs by local artist Allison Schiller, June 12th and 13th.
- Lincoln Square’s Big Neighborhood Flea Market includes hand-painted Italian ceramics, vintage toys, linens, and more next door to Griffins & Gargoyles (2150 W. Lawrence Ave.; 773-769-1255, griffins-gargoyles.com) on June 6th from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Michelle Rahn (211 N. Green St.; 312-243-1919, michellerahn.com) holds a bridal trunk show with 15 percent off all designer bridal gowns June 5th through 7th. By appointment only.
- Now in its 25th year, the Printers Row Lit Fest (312-222-3986, printersrowlitfest.org) displays new, old, and antique books from more than 200 exhibitors June 6th and 7th, along Dearborn Street between Congress Parkway and Polk Street, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- SeeMore Shopping (312-953-3635, seemoreshopping.com), a company that aims to make in-store shopping easier, hosts a free shopping event with up to 50 percent off jewelry, clothing, and handbags from Chicago designers at 233 North Michigan Avenue on June 5th from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- In honor of its one-year anniversary, Grasshopper 510 (1944 N. Damen Ave.; 773-292-0510, grasshopper510.com) takes 20 percent all full-priced items on June 6th and 7th. Weekend shoppers also get Champagne and cupcakes from Luscious Layers Bakery.
- Eskell (1509 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 773-486-0830, eskell.com) hosts a “Not Your Granny’s Panties” vintage shopping party featuring Chitown Vintage, a vintage auction Web site (chitownvintage.com), on June 6th from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Featuring more than 700 lots of paintings, silver, textiles, books and more, Leslie Hindman Auctioneers (1338 W. Lake St.; 312-280-1212, lesliehindman.com) Marketplace auction runs June 7th at 11 a.m.
- In honor of Father’s Day, Cutrone Hair + Barbershop (3118 W. 111th St.; 773-881-1685, cutronehair.com) offers a “Dapper Dad” package, featuring a haircut and hot lather shave, for $30 throughout June.
- United Feather & Down (414 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines; 847-296-6610, ufandd.com) holds its semi-annual tent sale with up to 75 percent off all bedding products June 4th through 6th.
- Chicago’s oldest juried art fair, the 57th Street Art Fair (773-493-3247, 57thstreetartfair.org) celebrates 62 years with furniture, ceramics, jewelry, and more June 6th and 7th at 57th Street and Kimbark Avenue.
- Spex (2136 N. Halsted St.; 773-975-7867, spexchicago.com) holds its opening reception for the next ART+VISION event, featuring work by photographer Harvey Tillis, Lafont eyewear, drinks, and hors d’oeuvres, on June 5th from 5 to 7 p.m. Tillis’s works will be on display through July 17th.
Closings and Relocations
Red Dog House (2031 N. Damen Ave.; 773-227-7341) shut its doors on June 1st, but the pet boutique continues to sell its merchandise online at reddoghouse.com.
Take up to 70 percent off rugs, lighting, accessories, furniture, and more at Symmetry (1925 W. Division St.; 773-645-0502, symmetryshowroom.com) before it closes on June 10th.
Saffron (2064 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-7753, saffronchicago.com) closes June 5th, but the shop continues to offer at least 50 percent off all merchandise, including its array of colorful fabrics, to shoppers who schedule an appointment through June 15th.
Before closing its store at month’s end, Zozo for Kids (5137 N. Clark St.; 773-506-6120, zozoforkids.com) offers 30 percent off girls’ apparel, 40 percent off boys’ apparel, 30 to 40 percent off remaining non-sale items, and an extra 15 percent off all sale items, including books, toys, and stuffed animals. To receive discounts online, enter code ‘SALE30%’ at checkout. Zozo’s online shop will remain active after June 30th.
4 days ago