Have a Heart
Just in time for the holiday season, the gift store Greenheart (746 N. LaSalle St.; 312-264-1625944-2544, greenheartshop.org) has opened its doors inside the Center for Cultural Interchange in River North. The Chicago store, the only location inside the United States (there is another one in Ibiza, Spain), carries fair-trade and eco-friendly products from local and international artisans. Store manager Katherine Bissell Córdova says the store is a way to use consumer power for good. “People are becoming more aware of what they’re buying and shopping is an easy way to effect positive change,” she says. You’ll find home accents like vases ($39) and bowls, fair-trade chocolates and teas, and bath and body products. The store also sells totes created from recycled rice bags made by women in Cambodia, purses made from recycled tires ($118), and beautiful winter gear like an Alpaca wool scarf from Peru ($180). Jewelry ranges from casual beaded items to silver bangles and cocktail rings ($39). Our favorites, though, are the umbrellas created from recycled products ($56) and the items adorned with the cute Greenheart logo, such as water bottles ($20), organic, fair-trade T-shirts ($24), and soaps.
Top Sales This Week
Round out the mall power shop on Black Friday (or avoid it altogether) with a few boutique sales: From 9 to 11 a.m. on Nov. 23rd, She (1024 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-880-8061) offers 20 percent off entire purchases, which can include such fun items as sequined cocktail dresses from Mint and Castle Starr, Kale handbags, and sweaters from Twinkle. Shoe shop Grace (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-384-7223) holds a sale lasting from Nov. 23rd through 25th, where all customers who purchase Hunter Wellies receive a free pair of welly warmers (thermal socks that fit inside the boot). Stock up for that fella at TK Men (1909 W. North Ave.; 773-342-9800), which is offering 15 percent off everything in the store on Nov. 23rd.
The Best of the Rest
- Stop by the Thanksgiving extravaganza at Two Fish Art Glass (7401 Madison St., Forest Park; 708-366-6800) from Nov. 23rd through 25th. On Nov. 23rd starting at 8 a.m., receive 20 percent off everything in the store. On Nov. 24th and 25th, receive 15 percent off all purchases.
- Gamma Player (2035 W. Division St.; 773-235-0755) offers 30 percent off the entire fall collection from Nov. 23rd through Dec. 2nd.
- Through Nov. 24th, drop off gently used men’s, women’s, and children’s coats to four Old Town stores to receive discounts on full-price merchandise. The participating stores are: Gray (1361 N. Wells St.; 312-573-0750), Sara Jane (1343 N. Wells St., 312-335-1962), Haberdash (1350 N. Wells St.; 312-440-1300), One Yellow Shoe (1543 N. Wells St.; 312-337-1800). Coats will be donated to Connections for the Homeless.
- Through Jan. 1st, Blue Tux Shoes (1920 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-3290) offers free shipping on bronze, gold, and silver shoes online at bluetuxshoes.com. Customers who mention “Holiday Party Sale” in store receive 10 percent off all metallic shoes.
- Architectural and garden antique shop Kimball & Bean (3606 South Country Club Rd., Woodstock; 815-444-9000) hosts its 7th annual Holiday Open House on Nov. 23rd and 24th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Nov. 25th from noon to 5 p.m. featuring antiques and vintage holiday decorations, wreaths, and trimmings.
- Elite Designs Bridal Boutique (660 Vernon Ave., Glencoe; 847-835-0353) hosts a trunk show of the spring and fall 2007 gowns from Chia Lieu on Nov. 23rd and 24th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Appointment only.
- The Lakeview East Chamber of Commerce offers gift cards in denominations from $5 to $500, accepted at 100 retailers in the neighborhood, including boutiques, restaurants, dry cleaners, and spas. Visit lakevieweast.com for a list of merchants.
- First Street Playhouse (181 First St., Batavia) is closing its doors and selling its lumber, paint supplies, props, and furniture. The public sale runs Nov. 24th and 25th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The local artist and designer Dolan Geiman hosts a sale on his Web site, with everything marked down 10 to 75 percent off through Dec. 15th. Visit dolangeiman.com.
- Buffalo Exchange (1478 N. Milwaukee Ave.,773-227-9558; 2875 N. Broadway, 773-549-1999) hosts its Coats for Critters promotion through April 22nd. Donate furs (trims, accessories, and shearlings in any condition) to be used to provide bedding for orphaned and injured wildlife.
- Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) has revamped its Web site at materialpossessions.com. Through Dec. 31st, first time online buyers receive 10 percent off purchases.
- Stellar 26 (4164 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-388-2626) hosts a trunk show with Elyse C. Bec’s scarves, hats, and mittens on Nov. 24th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Chicago Premium Outlets (1650 Premium Outlets Blvd., Aurora) and Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets (601 N. Wabash St., Michigan City, Indiana) host an after-Thanksgiving weekend sale, opening doors at midnight on Nov. 23rd and lasts through Nov. 25th, with 25 to 65 percent off merchandise.
- Lissa on Maxwell (729 W. Maxwell St.; 312-563-9470) celebrates its first anniversary on Nov. 23rd through Nov. 30th, offering 15 percent off purchases.
Send tips or comments to email@example.com.
To have Sales Check sent to your email box each week, fill out the form at www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Newsletter/Sales-Check-Newsletter-Sign-up/