Four-year-old Modlife (3061 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-868-0844, modlifehome.com) has relocated to new digs with twice the space and inventory. Owner Robert Zizzo said he had so much furniture in storage that half of it never made the display, so now he has more room to display his Danish Modern, Hollywood Regency, and other American works into vignettes. The store, which has become a must-stop for prop designers for movies, television, and local playhouses, stocks an incredible array of mid-century modern, mostly from the 1950s with some from the 1940s, 60s, and 70s. Prices range $200 for accessories to $4,000 for a sideboard. A white leather sofa from the 1960s is $1,895; a rosewood credenza from the ‘60s is $2,800; and a wild pair of Lucite stools with coral chenille upholstery from designer Vladamir Kagan are $2,200. For pairs of furniture pieces, prices range based on how much work they require; for example, a beautiful pair of “his and hers” lounge chairs (different sizes for the ladies and gents) by Edward Wormley for Dunbar from the 1950s have been reupholstered in a coffee color with blue piping are $3,400, while a set of two chairs originally from Gimbels department store are in their original purple crushed velvet for $1,200. Zizzo travels the country (sourcing much in Florida and California) to stock his store, and now has a designer on staff who can come check out your space first. He has also added a selection of rugs, including a Karastan from the 1950s for $2,999.
Top Sales This Week
Shop artists on the rise at Shop Columbia (623 S. Wabash Ave., 1st fl; cspaces.colum.edu), the new shop dedicated to arts and crafts created by Columbia College’s students. Prices range $1 to $500, and items include paintings, drawings, jewelry, sculpture, fashion, and graphic novels. The store opens Oct. 16th from 5:30 to 8 p.m., when customers can receive reusable shopping totes with $20 purchases and five percent off their next purchase as well as enter raffles for $25, $50, and $100 gift certificates.
The 900 Shops (900 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-915-3916) celebrates its 20th anniversary on Oct. 18th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., with entertainment, raffle prizes, and in-store promotions. Participating stores and sales include: 20 percent off the entire store at Charles David; 20 percent off purchases of $50 or more at Genevieve Lethu; 10 percent off everything store-wide at Stuart Weitzman; and chair massages, mini-facials, and make-up touch-ups at Mario Tricoci. Also take any receipts totaling $100 or more to the 6th floor concierge desk and receive a $20 mall gift card (valid only for the first 500 customers).
The Best of the Rest
- The Warehouse Sale, the Los Angeles-based premium denim sample sale returns to McCormick Place (2301 S. Martin Luther King Dr.) on Oct. 17th from 2 to 8 p.m. and Oct. 18th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Shop denim, tops, and dresses from the popular brands such as 1921, 7 For All Mankind, Taverniti So, and Genetic Denim. Admission is free with RSVP to thewarehousesale.com or $5 at the door.
- Ulta (114 S. State St.; 312-279-5081) opens its first urban location on Oct. 15th starting at 4 p.m., with four floors of cosmetic, fragrances, skin and hair products, and an in-store salon. The first 100 customers will receive a gift certificate ranging from $5 to $100. On Oct. 17th, college students can show their student I.D. to receive 20 percent off their entire purchase.
- Check out the trunk show of handbags from Anthony Luciano, Lauren Merkin, and Fiona Kotur, and Sang A. at Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900) on Oct. 16th from 2 to 5 p.m.
- For new customers only, Havilah offers 20 percent off new fall arrivals from the likes of Kooba, Madison Marcus, Rebecca Minkoff, and Velvet through the end of October at its River North location (869 N. Larrabee St.; 312-202-0012).
- The Eyelooks trunk show at Macy’s (111 N. State St., 9th fl.; 312-781-3573) happens on Oct. 15th, 16th, and 17th from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Oct. 18th from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Get 30 percent off frames and 40 percent off all lenses. Eye exams available on site; call for an appointment.
- p.45 (1643 N. Damen Ave.; 773-862-4523) holds a trunk show on Oct. 18th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. with designers Leong Ong and Philip Leeming of the knitwear line Falls.
- Hubba Hubba (3309 N. Clark St.; 773-477-1414) celebrates its anniversary party on Oct. 16th from 4 to 9 p.m., offering 20 percent off full-priced merchandise and a gift with purchase.
- Charla Krupp, the best-selling author of How Not to Look Old, offers tips on how to look 10 years younger in 10 minutes on Oct. 15th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at The Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave.), in the Armani Lounge on the first level (just outside of Nordstrom.) Enjoy cocktails, appetizers, and a portion of the proceeds from book sales will benefit Chicago’s Step Up Women’s Network.
- Building Blocks Toy Store (3306 N. Lincoln Ave.; 773-525-6200) holds an anniversary sale from Oct. 17th through 19th with 20 percent off storewide.
- House of Sole (1237 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-834-0909) holds a Beer, Brats, & Boots sale on Oct. 15th from 6 to 8 p.m. with 20 percent off boots. Bring your own mug to tap into the keg.
- To celebrate the launch of Dolan Geiman’s newly revamped Web site at dolangeiman.com, Sales Check readers can take 15 percent off any online purchase through the end of October with the discount code SalesCheck-NewSite.
- At the Gallery (135 N. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park; 708-445-9793) celebrates its fourth anniversary by launching “The Green Line,” a line of green alternative products including journals, gifts, and totes, with an opening reception on Oct. 17th from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Chicago-based FiveAccessories.com, a green company that carries handbags and jewelry from five countries and gives $5 from each handbag sale to charity, offers its bamboo clutch line from Bali at $10 off.
- Bess & Loie (1015 W. Lake St.; 312-226-2247) hosts a trunk show with Balboa Jewelry, a vintage line that incorporates old and new elements, and Jane Pope Collection, a line that uses 14-karat gold organic shapes on Oct. 14th from 5 to 9 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com.
- The Silken Tent (2300 Chestnut Ave., Glenview; 847-510-1240) holds a one-year anniversary party, “Peace, Love & Local” on Oct. 18th from 1 to 5 p.m., with local green designers.
- Receive a gift with every Ray Ban purchase during the Ray Ban trunk show at Spex (522 Dempster St., Evanston; 847-864-5200) on Oct. 18th from noon to 4 p.m.