Two of the city’s salvage experts— Architectural Artifacts and Urban Remains—have joined in a newly opened retail venture, Mongo Home (1753 N. Damen Ave.; 773-486-6200) in Bucktown. The resulting home décor boutique takes goods from the two parent stores and shines them up for consumers who may not want to refinish antiques themselves. “We have free rein with their items,” says Marisa Swystun, a design consultant who works at the shop. Unlike many of the items at the parent stores that are untouched treasures, the merchandise in Mongo Home has already been repurposed. For instance, a clock face-cum-table has been fitting with a glass top ($12,000). The beautiful loft space (the former home of Running Away, the sports boutique) is a fitting backdrop for the antique furniture and accessories, such as a rough-hewn chest from the mid-1800s, sourced in Belgium ($5,400); blue hanging lights from the London Playboy Mansion ($4,500 a piece); and funky, mod white upholstered chairs ($5,500). Smaller items include hands used to mold rubber gloves and a kid’s metal airplane ($85). The store will work with interior designers and also offer design consultations for customers who want to refresh a room.
Top Sales This Week
Furniture showroom Betty M Collection (Merchandise Mart, 16th fl.; 312-828-0340) holds a Red Tag sample sale from Nov. 3rd through 8th, offering items that are usually only available to the trade at up to 70 percent off. Sale hours are Nov. 3rd through 7th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Nov. 8th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Take advantage of Halloween to outfit the kiddies in something other than a costume. Madison and Friends (43 E. Oak St., 312-642-6403; 720 Waukegan Rd., Deerfield, 847-236-4131) holds a trick-or-treat sale through Oct. 31st, offering 30 percent off entire purchases.
The Best of the Rest
- Newly launched, Chicago-based site TwentyThirtyForty.net is an online boutique and fashion Web site that offers shopping, fashion advice, and Q&A’s on not only what to wear, but how to wear it.
- Tula (3738 N Southport Ave.; 773-549-2876) celebrates its second anniversary on Nov. 6th from 6 to 8 p.m. with beverages and fall treats. Wear a previous Tula purchase or RSVP to email@example.com to enter a drawing to win a fall sweater. Proceeds benefit the Parkways Foundation and the Buckingham Fountain Restoration Project.
- See the full 2008 holiday collection of local stationer Snow & Graham at Virtu (2034 N. Damen Ave.; 773-235-3790) on Nov. 1st from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with the added bonus of Champagne and truffles. Ten percent of the day’s sales will be donated to the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- The Daisy Shop (67 E. Oak St., 6th floor; 312-943-8880) holds a bling sale during November, offering 20 percent off rhinestone necklaces, bracelets, brooches, and earrings.
- For every $500 you spend through Oct. 30th at Ultimo (116 E. Oak St.; 312-787-1171), receive a $150 gift card to use in November.
- Belle Vie Bridal Couture (34 E. Oak St.; 312-751-2222) holds a sample sale, offering 50 to 80 percent off couture bridal gowns on Nov. 5th. You’ll find dresses for as low as $500. No appointment necessary.
- Shop at TT Patton (123 E. Station St., Barrington; 847-277-0073), angelina (200 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-382-6802), and nv clothing (202 S. Cook St., Barrington; 847-381-3348) through election day on Nov. 4th and be entered to win prizes valued at more than $300. Shop at all three stores to get a ballot punched, and turn it in at any store to enter.
- Greenheart Shop (746 N. LaSalle St.; 312-264-1625) holds a Kiddie Happy Hour on Oct. 28th from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., with story, craft time, and snacks. Kids interested in charity instead of candy can pick up a donation box for tricking-or-treating for UNICEF.
- Notice: Accessories for Living and The Custom Framer (2057 Green Bay Rd., Highland Park; 847-432-1212 and 847-432-4630) are both holding promotions in November. At Notice, take 20 percent off any accessory purchase through Nov. 18th. At The Custom Framer, save $10 off any framing order from $50 to $100 and $20 off any framing order over $100 through Nov. 18th.
- Material Possessions (704 N. Wabash Ave., 312-280-4885; 954 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8840) sets up a Thanksgiving dinner-table-of-the-month during November, designed by co-owner Peggy Swartchild, to show that adding one or two items to existing tableware can liven up the Thanksgiving table.
3 weeks ago