Editor in Chief
Morgan Gutterman, a veteran of the retail and wholesale clothing industries, likes to think outside the box when it comes to her own wardrobe. “I’m edgier and more fashion forward than most,” she says. After struggling to find clothes by her favorite designers in Chicago stores, Gutterman decided to launch her own boutique, The Edit (1917 N. Damen Ave.; 773-252-3350, shoptheedit.com), which opened yesterday in Bucktown. The shop features women’s contemporary accessories and apparel—much of which is from brands that are new to the city. “There’s a lot of untapped [design] talent that people don’t get to see, and I want to provide that for Chicagoans,” says Gutterman. Store exclusives include jewelry from Mr. Kate, a Los Angeles–based eco-friendly line of accessories; tops, jackets, and bags from the Australian label Chip Chop!; and leather handbags by Australian designer Rachael Ruddick. The Edit also carries brands that will be familiar to many Chicago shoppers, including Sass & Bide, DL 1961, and Paper Crown. This season’s inventory, which ranges from $50 to $900, includes an assortment of hand-painted silk tops ($140) from New York–based designer Rachel Rose; faux leather pants ($440) from Work Custom Jeans; and suede portfolio clutches ($80) in teal, tan, black, red, pink, and brown from Marketa New York.
Top Sales This Week
Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) hosts an I See . . . Fall Fashion event with 25 percent off all merchandise, as well as tarot card, palm, and other readings from Carolyn of Astrology Boutique (1657 W. Division St.; 773-276-7424, astrologyboutique.com) on Thursday, October 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com to book an appointment for a reading.
Spa Week (spaweek.com) offers $50 spa treatments at more than 50 spas and salons across Chicago and the suburbs through Sunday, October 16. Discounted services include a 50-minute sesame seed full-body scrub from Exsalonce Salon & Day Spa (2150 W. Roscoe St.; 773-327-4848, exsaloncechicago.com), as well as a 45-minute Swedish massage from Aniko Salon & Spa (1109 S. Wabash Ave.; 312-431-1573, anikosalonspa.com).
The Best of the Rest
- Avieve Salon and Day Spa (2558 N. Southport Ave.; 773-281-3330, avieve.com) celebrates its relaunch with drinks, snacks, and giveaways on Wednesday, October 12 from 6 to 10 p.m. Book an appointment during the event to receive 10 percent off any service on your next visit.
- Located in the Northfield Village Square and Center on Happ Road, The Northfield Block Party features refreshments and discounts from ENAZ (309 Happ Rd., Northfield; 847-446-5551, enaz.com), Fresh Ideas (300 Happ Rd.; 847-446-3774, freshideasclothingco.com), Lori’s Shoes (311 Happ Rd.; 847-446-3818, lorisshoes.com), and Peachtree Place (303 Happ Rd.; 847-441-7585, peachtreeplaceonline.com) on Thursday, October 13 from 5 to 8 p.m. Ten percent of the event’s profits will go to the Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation.
- Retail Therapy Night returns to Evanston’s Central Street with raffles, refreshments, discounts, and giveaways from Gavin Evanston (1939 Central St., Evanston; 847-328-7407, shopgavin.com), Lois & Company (2014 Central St., Evanston; 847-869-0222), and other local businesses on Thursday, October 13 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Ladies’ Night Out in Winnetka’s Hubbard Woods shopping district offers 15 percent off merchandise at 18 local shops, as well as refreshments and other treats, on Thursday, October 13 from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Participating boutiques include Leoleno (976 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka; 847-446-1100, leoleno.com), Material Possessions (954 Green Bay Rd.; 847-446-8840, materialpossessions.com), and Randoons (962 1/2 Green Bay Rd.; 847-784-1890, randoons.com).
- Neapolitan Collection (715 Elm St., Winnetka; 847-441-7784, neapolitanonline.com) hosts a variety of trunk shows this month. Preview the spring 2012 clothing collection from Lela Rose (lelarose.com), as well as jewelry from Jamie Wolf (jamiewolf.com), Thursday, October 13, through Saturday, October 15. Wolf will be in the store to meet with shoppers on October 13. The spring 2012 collection from Derek Lam (dereklam.com) will be on view Thursday, October 27, through Saturday, October 29.
- Space519 (900 N. Michigan Ave., 5th floor; 312-751-1519, space519.com) holds a Decades (decadestwo1.com) pop-up shop with up to 80 percent off luxury consignment clothing, shoes, and accessories from Marc Jacobs, Chanel, and other designers on Saturday, October 15 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, October 16 from 12 to 6 p.m. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Space519 also donates 20 percent of all Sara Happ product purchases In October to The V Foundation for Cancer Research (jimmyv.org).
- LuxeHome (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza; 312-527-7939, luxehome.com) launches its first annual Shop This Saturday event on Saturday, October 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event includes more than 30 luxury kitchen and bath boutiques and features product debuts, sessions with industry experts, showroom openings, raffles, and trunk shows.
- Mario Tricoci (tricoci.com for locations) offers 50 percent off tickets to its InspireDesign show on Wednesday, October 19 during Fashion Focus Chicago, a weeklong fashion and shopping showcase. Visit mariomakemeamodel.com/Fashion_Show and enter the code “Mario” to receive the discount. All InspireDesign general ticket holders also receive a $25 gift card to the salon and day spa.