Photo: Courtesy of Steven Alan
In With the New
The New York–based men’s and women’s designer Steven Alan (1659 N. Damen Ave., 773-697-4102, stevenalan.com) has opened his first Chicago outpost on the ever-growing Damen Avenue retail strip in Bucktown. “Before we open a new store, we think: ‘Would we want to live there?’” Alan says. The answer must be affirmative. “There’s something really refreshing about Chicago,” he concludes.
The store has been open for just over a week, but the manager says this sandwashed silk floral top ($245) is already a favorite, along with these skinny jeans by R13 ($325) and this envelope clutch ($325).
In the men’s section, guys have been snatching up these cashmere beanies ($98) and this classic military-style CPO shirt that doubles as a light jacket ($265). Along with its namesake line, the store carries labels like Isabel Marant, Clare Vivier, and Acne.
Top Sales This Week
Griffins & Gargoyles Antiques (2140 W. Lawrence Ave., 773-769-1255, griffins-gargoyles.com), a Chicago fixture since 1975, commemorates 38 years in business with a month-long anniversary sale. Beginning Friday and running through November 4, the store’s entire collection of antiques and vintage furniture will be discounted by 20 percent.
Thursday is ladies’ night at Gold Coast boutique Samantha Chicago (64 E. Walton St., 312-951-5383, samanthachicago.com). Stop by from 6 to 8 p.m. for bubbles, bites, raffle prizes, and discounts. All fall merchandise will be marked 20 percent off, with an extra 20 percent off sale items on brands like Alice + Olivia, Genetic Denim, and Autumn Cashmere.
The Best of the Rest
- Starting today, local jewelry designer Liz Pham of See Song Designs (seesongdesigns.com) offers online shoppers 30 percent off all the baubles on her new website for one week with the code NEWSITE.
- A three-day vintage and antique flea market (items date anywhere from the mid-18th century to the ‘70s) will be held in the brick courtyard of Jayson Home (1885 N. Clybourn Ave., 773-248-8180, jaysonhome.com) this Friday through Sunday. The market opens at 8 a.m. on Friday morning and the first 100 shoppers will receive a free gift. Shop the bargains Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- On Friday and Saturday, storefronts along West Chicago Avenue between Milwaukee and Western Avenues—including Seek Vintage (1432 W. Chicago Ave.), Dovetail (1452 W. Chicago Ave.), and Paperish Mess (1955 W. Chicago Ave.)—will keep their doors open until 10 p.m. for the West Town Art Walk (westtownartwalk.com), an annual event that celebrates art in all forms: fashion, music, food, and otherwise.
- Dose Market (dosemarket.com) has made some big changes: What once was a monthly shopping event at the River East Arts Center has evolved into a weekly market in heart of Wicker Park. Find it inside Chop Shop (2033 W. North Ave.) every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. through December 15. Entrance is $5 or $30 for a full-season pass.
- Find a new coat for fall and meet Andrea Racey, the designer behind the outerwear line Helena Quinn at Edith Hart (1917 N. Damen Ave., 773-252-3350, edithhart.com) during a trunk show on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
More retailers have set up shop in the South Loop at The Shops at Roosevelt Collection (150 W. Roosevelt Rd., shops.rooseveltcollection.com), including local men’s store Haberdash and contemporary women’s boutique bevello (both opened last week). The stores hold a fall harvest event this week featuring food trucks, live music, activities for kids, and in-store specials from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday through Friday and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.