Those who tromp around the financial district may have noticed the recent addition of tailors working in a storefront of Richard Bennett Custom Tailors (175 W. Jackson Blvd.; 312-913-1100). The “tailor in a fishbowl” concept is the centerpiece of the shop’s new space, meant to demystify the custom-tailoring process and show customers craftsmen at work. A city fixture since 1929, the tailor shop recently moved from its former home at 208 S. LaSalle Street to the new 2,800 sq. ft. space, featuring custom cherry woodwork and Tuscan décor, a move intended to distance it from the gentleman’s club aesthetic of other tailor shops and give it a more contemporary feel. Order suits, topcoats, and trousers for both men and women — the first appointment includes taking measurements and choosing fabrics and styles. Garments are completed in about six weeks and never leave the store during that time. The new space also includes an expanded line of ready-made accessories like ties, sport shirts, knits, leather goods, and Italian shoes and is the first store in the country to stock Ermenegildo Zegna fabrics.
Top Sales This Week
For the first time, custom handbag shop 1154 Lill Studio (1511 W. 38th St.; 773-292-6310) holds a sample sale and tour at its warehouse. On Sept. 13th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., stop by the warehouse to shop current and discontinued bags, ballet flats, and handbag accents like buckles, handles, and buttons, marked 50 to 75 percent off. During the sale, customers can also take a tour of the production facility and see how the bags are created. Also check out the newest addition to the line, a diaper bag called the Susan. Entrance fee is $5, which will be donated to charity. The first 50 people receive a complimentary makeup bag. Cash and credit accepted.
Something borrowed, something green? Macy’s (111 N. State St., 4th floor; 312-781-3545) holds an event debuting Eco Couture by Adele Wechsler, an eco-conscious bridal designer. Make an appointment to browse the gowns (created from organic hemp, silk blend, vegetable dyes, recycled lace, and remnant fabric) and receive a personal fitting with the designer on Sept. 13th from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Also check out Origins bridal skin care program, organic wine and Frango tastings, locally grown floral arrangements from Anthony Gowder Floral Designs, and eco-friendly products from Merz Apothecary, among other events. Appointments necessary.
The Best of the Rest
- Scarlet Designs (65 E. Oak St., 2nd floor; 312-421-9010) hosts a sample sale liquidating all prior Scarlet Designs inventory, including samples from the Special Occasion Separates line, all priced under $100. Also browse samples from Jewelry by Eniko, Nubian Creations handbags and home linens, Pretty Afrika chunky jewelry, and Sansapelle’s silk gowns (all size 8). The sale runs Sept. 12th from noon to 4 p.m. and Sept. 13th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Renegade Craft Fair (Division Street between Damen and Hermitage avenues; renegadecraft.com) featuring jewelry, tees, home goods, and other clever crafts, runs September 13th and 14th from noon to 10 p.m..
- Kitchenware store Sur La Table (100 West Higgins Rd., South Barrington; 847-551-1090) unveils its new location in South Barrington on Sept. 12th.
- City Soles/Niche (2001 W. North Ave.; 773-489-2001) hold a neighborhood appreciation event on Sept. 12th and 13th, with discounts on sale items, cocktails, raffles, and giveaways.
- The fall upholstery sale at Jayson Home and Garden (1885 N. Clybourn Ave.; 773-248-8180) kicks off Sept. 11th and runs through Oct. 13th, with 20 percent off all upholstered furniture, including custom orders.
- Sprout Home (745 N. Damen Ave.; 312-226-5950) offers up to 75 percent off outdoor plants, planting accessories, and select home accessories while supplies last.
- Local jewelry line Objets d’Envy kicks off its fall collection with an event Sept. 10th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Maeve (1325 W. Wrightwood Ave.; 773-388-3333). Take discounts of 10 to 20 percent off jewelry and receive free wine tastings. Preview the collection at modernsparkle.com; R.S.V.P. requested at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gray (821 Chestnut Ct., Winnetka; 847-446-5650) holds an Orlando Espinoza Trunk Show, featuring the fall collection, on Sept. 11th and 13th.
- Designs from Nicole Miller (1419 N. Wells St.; 312-664-3532) will be featured at the Annual Wine Crush Fashion Show on Sept. 13th at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., showcasing sportswear, evening wear, and bridal. Wine Crush tickets range from $25 to $45; no additional cost for the runway show.
- Under the Wire (2210 S. Halsted St.; 312-733-9350) offers 50 percent off its discontinued pearl jewelry collection starting Sept. 12th, to make room for owner Sue Rosengard’s new Flying Paper Jewelry line, created from discarded maps, sheet music, newsprint, and the like. The sale kicks off on Sept. 12th with a wine and cheese party from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Prices range from $15 to $45.
- The Lincoln Park Art Faire runs Sept. 13th and 14th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., featuring jewelry, photography, and pottery from more than 100 artists, at the Lincoln Park Cultural Center (2045 N. Lincoln Park West; 312-742-7726). Free.
- Lakeview East Festival of the Arts, featuring 140 juried artists, runs along Broadway Avenue (from Belmont to Roscoe) on Sept. 13th and 14th. Free.
2 weeks ago