In the midst of the city’s 2010 spring and summer openings, The Art of Shaving (theartofshaving.com), a popular all-natural body and skin care company, launched two Chicagoland locations (520 N. Michigan Ave., 312-527-1604; 5 Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, 847-413-1713). “Expansion into Chicago was a natural next step in the brand’s mission to upgrade men everywhere to ‘The Perfect Shave,’” says Eric Malka, who co-founded the company with his partner, Myriam Zaoui, in 1996. And though the Chicago stores have arrived a little behind other major city locations in the U.S., both local shops feature a new, upgraded design. Try the Barber Spas’ treatments, which combines traditional barber services with aromatherapy skin therapy (from $15). On the retail end, the store sells the brand’s leading shaving products for men and women, including pre-shave oil ($18 for women, $22 for men), ingrown hair night cream ($30 for women, $40 for men), men’s after-shave balm ($38), and women’s after-shave body milk ($36).
Top Sales This Week
For Self Improvement Month, Charles Ifergan Salons (for locations, charlesifergan.com) offers an array of discounts throughout September. All month, first-time male clients get $25 off their services. Tuesday, September 7th, through Saturday, September 11th, first-time color clients receive a complimentary blow dry. Tuesday, September 14th, through Saturday, September 18th, guests who buy any makeup product receive a free makeup application. Tuesday, September 21st, through Saturday, September 25th, first-time straightening treatment clients also get $25 off any store product. Tuesday, September 28th through Friday, October 1st, buy one waxing treatment and get a second free.
Along Division Street between Damen and Paulina avenues in Wicker Park, The Renegade Craft Fair (773-227-2707, renegadecraft.com) returns Saturday, September 11th, and Sunday, September 12th, with handmade jewelry, clothing, ceramics, stationery, posters, and housewares from 300 artists around the nation. This year’s must-sees include eco-friendly home accessories from local siblings Aaron and Megan Pahmier and vintage-inspired jewelry from NY-based Erica Weiner.
The Best of the Rest
- Krista K (3458 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-1967, kristak.com) features up to 25 percent off more than 100 items at its next multi-designer bag trunk show, Friday, September 10th, through Thursday, September 16th. In conjunction with the event, the boutique’s sister store, Krista K Maternity + Baby (3530 N. Southport Ave.; 773-248-4477) holds a Japanese Weekend fall trunk show, September 9th through 19th; buy two or more items from the collection and get 20 percent off the purchase.
- For the second annual Fashion’s Night Out—a worldwide celebration of fashion—several local department stores and malls are offering discounts, fashion shows, and free stuff on the evening of Friday, September 10th. These include: Macy’s (111 N. State St., 312-781-1000; 835 N. Michigan Ave., 312-335-7700; macys.com); Neiman Marcus (737 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-642-5900, neimanmarcus.com); Nordstrom (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-464-1515, nordstrom.com); Saks Fifth Avenue (700 N. Michigan Ave., 717 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-944-6500, saksfifthavenue.com); The Shops at North Bridge (520 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-222-1244, theshopsatnorthbridge.com); and Water Tower Place (835 N. Michigan Ave.; 312-440-3166, shopwatertower.com). Times for discounts and freebies vary at each location.
- SHE Boutique (483 Central Ave., Highland Park; 847-926-0150, shopsheboutique.com) hosts its “SHE is Fashion” event with free cocktails, gift bags, and music on Friday, September 10th, from 6 to 11 p.m.
- Buy one pair of shoes at AKIRA Men (1910 W. North Ave., 312-423-6693; 662 W. Diversey Pkwy., 773-327-1700; shopakira.com), and get the second pair for $20 through Wednesday, September 15th. Also, save 30 percent on all shorts.
- Cynthia Rowley (810 W. Armitage Ave.; 773-528-6160, cynthiarowley.com) features makeovers from Trish McEvoy, Prosecco by Mionetto cocktails, and FIJI waters on Friday, September 10th, from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests also have the chance to win a free boutique gift package. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stop by BCBGMAXAZRIA (113 E. Oak St.; 312-475-0053, bcbg.com) for a chance to win a fall handbag, on Friday, September 10th, from 7 to 9 p.m. Guests enjoy hors d’oeuvres, VeeV vodka, and VitaminWater; the first 50 attendees will receive a runway survival kit. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Balani Custom Clothiers (10 S. LaSalle St.; 312-345-1535, balanicustom.com) opens a second location at 55 West Monroe Street on Wednesday, September 15th. During the week of September 12th, the store will donate 10 percent of all sales to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago (bbbschgo.org).
- Use code “CHICAGOMAG35” to save 35 percent on jewelry from Chic Gems (888-801-8265, chicgemsetc.com) through Wednesday, September 15th.
- Le Dress (1741 W. Division St.; 773-697-9899, ledresschicago.com) hosts a fall preview and guest stylist competition on Thursday, September 9th. Chosen at random, guest stylists will dress store mannequins for the chance to win an assortment of prizes, including le Dress jewelry. The grand prize winner receives a $50 gift card to le Dress, and his or her mannequin will be displayed in the boutique’s window. Enter to become a guest stylist by emailing RSVP@lizkorespr.com.
- Revision Home (2132 W. Fulton St.; 312-226-2221, revisionchicago.com), a primarily appointment-only boutique, holds its next open-to-the-public event with vintage and antique pieces on Thursday, September 16th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.; Friday, September 17th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, September 18th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Rotofugi (773-868-3308; rotofugi.com), a designer toy store for adults and kids recently moved to 2780 North Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Park.
5 days ago