Edited by Gina Bazer
1. Bespoke Collection stone tiles inspired by British menswear: Pinstriped tiles in gray and beige, $52 per square foot;
Ascot border, $22 per 2½-by-12-inch piece; and Braid trim, $34 per 1-by-12-inch piece, at Artistic Tile.
2. Thomas Fuchs Skull Collection glasses in gray, aqua, plum, and chocolate, $34 each, at Barneys New York.
3. Vivienne Westwood’s Aubusson-style Flintstone wool rug with cashmere backing, 6 by 9 feet, $7,020, at The Rug Company.
4. Cast-iron round weight containers, $14 to $24, at Asrai Garden.
5. Fulham leather sofa in Matador nutmeg, available in three sizes, $2,975 to $4,585, at Restoration Hardware.
Photography: (1,4) Tyllie Barbosa; (2) David Deising
6. Lamp with plaid burlap shade and faux-wood base, $70, at Target.
7. Trays made of recycled signs by Will Holman, $60 and $95, at Scout.
8. Marble lion bookends, six inches high, $240 for a pair, at Mecox.
9. Wool-blend wallcoverings, price upon request, at Maya Romanoff, Merchandise Mart.
Photography: (7–9) Tyllie Barbosa
Morgan Gagne, Co-owner of online furniture store
What gives a home just the right masculine touch?
“Masculinity is about presence. Whatever a room’s era or style, a ‘masculine touch’ should bring weight to it: floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, massive built-ins, heavy wood tables, 200-pound apothecary cabinets, 11-foot-long credenzas. If it’s metal, get it bare; if it’s wood, never paint it.”
Where do you like to shop for home design? “We generally only shop the secondhand market, but when we point customers to stores that share our aesthetic, we suggest Agent Gallery Chicago, Scout, and Architectural Anarchy.”
What restaurants or bars in the city do you love for their ambiance?
“The Orbit Room, Longman & Eagle, The Bedford, and Kuma’s Corner.”
10. Stripped and sealed vintage steel dressers, when available, price upon request, at manlyvintage.com.
11. Porcelain Menswear trays, $6 each, at West Elm.
12. Cypress storage box (also available in redwood), 12 by 12 inches, $110, at uusi.us.
13. Curve wireless Bluetooth handset with iPhone charging dock (also available in black), $150, at the MCA Store.
14. Maple- and ebony-handled corkscrews, $15 each, at Room Service.
Photography: (11–13) Tyllie Barbosa
ABOUT OUR SOURCES We attempt to provide as much information as possible about the products and professionals involved in designing the homes we show in our pages. Items not sourced here are probably not available for sale; they might be antiques or part of an owner’s personal collection. When an item or product line is widely available, we may not list a specific store for it. If you have a question about our sources, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artistic Tile, Merchandise Mart, 312-670-0612, artistictile.com. Asrai Garden, 1935 W. North Ave., 773-782-0680, asraigarden.com. Barneys New York, 15 E. Oak St., 312-587-1700, barneys.com. Manly Vintage, manlyvintage.com. Maya Romanoff, Merchandise Mart, 312-212-8792, mayaromanoff.com. MCA Store, 220 E. Chicago Ave., 312-280-2660, mcachicagostore.org. Mecox, 406 N. Clark St., 312-836-0571, mecoxgardens.com. Restoration Hardware, 938 W. North Ave., 312-475-9116, restorationhardware.com. Room Service, 5438 N. Clark St., 773-878-5438, roomservice-chicago.com. The Rug Company, 320 N. Clark St., 312-379-1700, therugcompany.com. Scout, 5221 N. Clark St., 773-275-5700, scoutchicago.com. Target, 2656 N. Elston Ave., 773-252-1994, target.com. Uusi, uusi.us. West Elm, 1000 W. North Ave., 312-867-1770, westelm.com.