It’s not often that a pregnancy leads to a booming business, but Meg Piercy made it happen. Four years ago, she decided to repaint a beautiful but bland changing table before her son’s birth, and after lots of encouragement from her husband and an overwhelming number of rehab requests from friends and family, she founded MegMade. Now in an 8,000-square-foot warehouse in Roscoe Village, Piercy and her team have transformed more than 3,500 pieces, with custom stains, paints, hardware, and styling to match each client’s personal taste. “I like to keep freshening things up,” says the mompreneur, who just announced that she will launch a high-end furniture line this summer. Here, she talks us through a recent project.
1. “The combo of open shelving, drawers, and doors is very functional.”
2. “The hardware had years of buildup, but I could tell it was solid brass underneath the patina.”
3. “The wood stain and inlay detail dates the piece but creates a canvas for something quite fun.”
1. “I’m obsessed with Relativity Textiles wallpaper, which is handmade in Chicago.”
2. “Matte finishes are on trend right now, and so rich and luxurious—like velvet.”
3. “Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore is classic and regal at the same time, making it my favorite color.”